Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hampton, Keisel, Hood: Hands down the worst 3-4 line in the league per PFF

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post

No, it doesn't mean much; it only means we give up the 2nd least yards in the entire NFL. Do you SF has a good D? You do? Well, they happen to give up less yards than any other team, so, some how, their D ranking is relative, but with Pgh, it is not. Do you think Houston has a good D? I do. They just so happen to rank 3rd in D rank, so their D rank is indicative of their strength of D, but again, when it comes to Pgh, their ranking is meaningless, while the other high ranking teams ranks seem accurate. Wow, that's weird. Do you think the Saints have a good D? You don't? They happen to rank last, so their ranking is indicative as well, it's just the Steelers who have a ranking not relative to the truth, I guess.>
    Bullcrap. SF and Houston both give up low yardage and get after the quarterback. Our D is ranked in yardage, but is having a very pitiful year for putting pressure on the QB. The worst since 1988. That is directly tied to how poorly the D-line is playing.

There are about 14 or 15 teams playing the 3-4 right now. There are maybe one or two teams who's D-line I wouldn't take over ours right now.

The TOP stat is meaningless and deceptive. Anyone with eyes can tell that the offense isn't really that good at TOP, just like you say about the defensive ranking. <insert sarcasm and rolling of eyes>
    Ha ha. The D rankings are completely relative. What matters is how many points you are giving up. This team only plays D at home. Look at the points per game they give up on the road versus home.

This D-line is playing pathetically right now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bullcrap. SF and Houston both give up low yardage and get after the quarterback. Our D is ranked in yardage, but is having a very pitiful year for putting pressure on the QB. The worst since 1988. That is directly tied to how poorly the D-line is playing.
    Except for the little fact that our 3-4 doesn't have pressure to the QB from the DL. Other than that, you got it just right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Except for the little fact that our 3-4 doesn't have pressure to the QB from the DL. Other than that, you got it just right.
    The more push you get up the middle, the more effective your OLBs can be. If the QB can step up in a pocket, the OLBs will never get to the QB. If he's gotta drop 7 steps and can't step up, your LBs have a chance to get to him and pressure him.

A 3-4 DL should collapse the pocket. We don't.

Legend

User Info Menu

Flip nailed it earlier- the DL regression is coming from Hampton, and the lack of a suitable replacement for him.

Hood is getting bashed a lot in here, but he's playing mostly the same as he has the last 2 seasons, and both those seasons he was fine. Whether he is playing up to a '1st round' quality or not is debatable, but that is beside the point.

Hampton is not the dominating player he was. Now, Chadman isn't blaming Hampton necessarily. This situation should have been rectified 3-4 years ago. It's not like the Steelers were unaware of the DL's age. We could have had Terrence Cody. Ron Brace. Red Bryant. Any of those guys would have been able to have transitioned into the NT role this season, instead of having to retain Hampton because there was no better option.

Ta'amu might be the answer. That said, even next year might be too early for him. But chances are, we'll have to live with the growing pains.

McLendon doesn't have the bulk to be an every-down 3-4 NT in this system. He's a hustle guy. He's Chris Hoke. He's good in situations, and as a spot starter. But we need that bull up front.

The Steelers DL is at a similar point in it's life as when the Steelers signed Kimo, way back when. Not sure if you remember, but Kimo came over to replace Joel Steed. Now, one thing we learned early was that Kimo was no Steed. He got pushed around all over the place. The result was one of the poorer DL's we have witnessed for the Steelers over the last 20 years. But they got it right by drafting Hampton. Well, Ta'amu needs to be our new Hampton. Once he's inserted, and he finds his feet, Hood & Keisel will look far more effective.

Hampton should be gone next season. Chadman isn't convinced Ta'amu is ready to start next season. A short term transition NT in FA would be a very wise move.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Flip nailed it earlier- the DL regression is coming from Hampton, and the lack of a suitable replacement for him.

Hood is getting bashed a lot in here, but he's playing mostly the same as he has the last 2 seasons, and both those seasons he was fine. Whether he is playing up to a '1st round' quality or not is debatable, but that is beside the point.

Hampton is not the dominating player he was. Now, Chadman isn't blaming Hampton necessarily. This situation should have been rectified 3-4 years ago. It's not like the Steelers were unaware of the DL's age. We could have had Terrence Cody. Ron Brace. Red Bryant. Any of those guys would have been able to have transitioned into the NT role this season, instead of having to retain Hampton because there was no better option.

Ta'amu might be the answer. That said, even next year might be too early for him. But chances are, we'll have to live with the growing pains.

McLendon doesn't have the bulk to be an every-down 3-4 NT in this system. He's a hustle guy. He's Chris Hoke. He's good in situations, and as a spot starter. But we need that bull up front.

The Steelers DL is at a similar point in it's life as when the Steelers signed Kimo, way back when. Not sure if you remember, but Kimo came over to replace Joel Steed. Now, one thing we learned early was that Kimo was no Steed. He got pushed around all over the place. The result was one of the poorer DL's we have witnessed for the Steelers over the last 20 years. But they got it right by drafting Hampton. Well, Ta'amu needs to be our new Hampton. Once he's inserted, and he finds his feet, Hood & Keisel will look far more effective.

Hampton should be gone next season. Chadman isn't convinced Ta'amu is ready to start next season. A short term transition NT in FA would be a very wise move.
    Got to hope Ta'amu is not in jail next year.

I agree, Hood gets bashed a alot but the first round grief he gets is unwarranted. He is told to play in a system where he is not asked to be a difference maker. he is asked to sacrifice his body so other can make plays.

As far as Hampton, we should not have brought him back. He barely gets 1 yard of penetration on the other side of the LOS and is being controlled more and more by one man. I would disagree with you about McLendon. I would rather see him get most of the snaps at NT and bring hampton in to give him a rest not vice versa.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is false about McClendon bulk, He is actual 340 I read but D Lebeau refuse to play him . He is obvious better than Hampton and Hayward is bettter than Kiesel.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Don't know what size McLendon actually is- he doesn't play 'heavy' enough though, as in he doesn't command 2-3 blockers in order to shift him like Hampton & Steed did. The front 3 need to attract at least 1 more blocker to them in order to open up lanes for the LB's. This is why Smith was so good- he'd command double teamed blockers at all times. Hampton too. That's 4 OL occupied. Right now, Hampton does not command double teams. Neither does Hood. Keisel does, from what Chadman has seen. For the LB's to shine, we need the DL to be effective. Right now, the DL is not playing at the level it needs to.

Wouldn't be bagging Heyward just yet. Reckon he's going to be the pick of our DL in a year or two.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT