Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Hampton, Keisel, Hood: Hands down the worst 3-4 line in the league per PFF

  1. #11
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,181
    Maybe some good bulletin board motivation for this Sunday.

    On the other hand, the Giants' pass rush is a concern; they are really good. Hope we can run through those guys and make them play the run first.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL






  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    You really think that Hampton, Keisel, and Hood make up the best 3-4 D line in the league or even second? Please!
    Did I say that?

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Did I say that?
    Pretty much, because your equating our defensive ranking to our D-line. Anyone can see with their eyeballs, this team is not the same as years past at the d-line. Just because we are ranked first or second in yards doesn't mean much.

    The Steelers are 2nd in the league in TOP, that puts the defense on the field for less time. That means it covers up our weaknesses a lot.

  4. #14
    Backup
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the "Fork of Greatness" resides.
    Posts
    416
    I have to agree with some of that article...

    It's the same old BS...the DL scheme is designed to take-up blockers for the LB's to make the play...

    Yadda, Yadda, Yadda...that's horse-$h!t!!!

    Hood plays patty, fricken cake on atleast 80% of the plays, and the other 20% is a combination of getting
    freeken pancaked by the O-line, or running away from the contact.

    For a 1st rounder, he flat-out stinks!!! Why LeBeau doesn't rotate him out of there is beyond me...McLendon
    should get a taste at LDE!!! McLendon atleast breaks the line and is disruptive.

    Hampton is getting pushed around, and doesn't get any penetration...again I think McLendon should see more time there.

    I love the Diesel, but he's gotta do more, and I have seen a little more lately, but he's gotta start pressing the pocket...

    Where the F is Heyward!!!!??? He's just not getting the PT....

    I just wish ALL these guys had a MEAN streak!!! Get friggin nasty like Colon, and bury some fool on his back!!

    Why Doesn't the coaching staff coach-up these guys to get their FREEKING HANDS UP!!!! Knock the ball DOWN!!!

    It's time that the D-Line does more than the status quo!!!!

    The whole defense would then be freaking dominating, and getting some fumbles and INT's...

    JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

    http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

  5. #15
    D-line has made noticeable regression...part of the reason why there's been a steep decline in QB pressures and sacks and forced fumbles, and why the running D has gotten softer. This in spite of spending two of the last four first-round picks on DEs. Team needs to either change defensive alignment or get personnel that can do the job.

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Pretty much,
    A simple yes or no would suffice. Fact is, I NEVER SAID THAT. Now deal with reality instead of making straw men arguments.

    because your equating our defensive ranking to our D-line.
    Nope. I said it was relative, but not 100% casual.

    Anyone can see with their eyeballs, this team is not the same as years past at the d-line. Just because we are ranked first or second in yards doesn't mean much.
    No, it doesn't mean much; it only means we give up the 2nd least yards in the entire NFL. Do you SF has a good D? You do? Well, they happen to give up less yards than any other team, so, some how, their D ranking is relative, but with Pgh, it is not. Do you think Houston has a good D? I do. They just so happen to rank 3rd in D rank, so their D rank is indicative of their strength of D, but again, when it comes to Pgh, their ranking is meaningless, while the other high ranking teams ranks seem accurate. Wow, that's weird. Do you think the Saints have a good D? You don't? They happen to rank last, so their ranking is indicative as well, it's just the Steelers who have a ranking not relative to the truth, I guess.

    The Steelers are 2nd in the league in TOP, that puts the defense on the field for less time. That means it covers up our weaknesses a lot.
    The TOP stat is meaningless and deceptive. Anyone with eyes can tell that the offense isn't really that good at TOP, just like you say about the defensive ranking. <insert sarcasm and rolling of eyes>

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,464
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    D-line has made noticeable regression...part of the reason why there's been a steep decline in QB pressures and sacks and forced fumbles, and why the running D has gotten softer. This in spite of spending two of the last four first-round picks on DEs. Team needs to either change defensive alignment or get personnel that can do the job.
    Getting new personnel means you are 2-3 years away from a solution. Play a defense that plays to the strength of your players.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #18
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Getting new personnel means you are 2-3 years away from a solution. Play a defense that plays to the strength of your players.
    I agree with playing to the strength of your players, but that being said, JJ Watt would have to disagree with it taking 2-3 years to make a difference with new personnel. He made a difference immediately.

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by JDSteeler View Post
    I have to agree with some of that article...

    It's the same old BS...the DL scheme is designed to take-up blockers for the LB's to make the play...

    Yadda, Yadda, Yadda...that's horse-$h!t!!!

    Hood plays patty, fricken cake on atleast 80% of the plays, and the other 20% is a combination of getting
    freeken pancaked by the O-line, or running away from the contact.

    For a 1st rounder, he flat-out stinks!!! Why LeBeau doesn't rotate him out of there is beyond me...McLendon
    should get a taste at LDE!!! McLendon atleast breaks the line and is disruptive.

    Hampton is getting pushed around, and doesn't get any penetration...again I think McLendon should see more time there.

    I love the Diesel, but he's gotta do more, and I have seen a little more lately, but he's gotta start pressing the pocket...

    Where the F is Heyward!!!!??? He's just not getting the PT....

    I just wish ALL these guys had a MEAN streak!!! Get friggin nasty like Colon, and bury some fool on his back!!

    Why Doesn't the coaching staff coach-up these guys to get their FREEKING HANDS UP!!!! Knock the ball DOWN!!!

    It's time that the D-Line does more than the status quo!!!!

    The whole defense would then be freaking dominating, and getting some fumbles and INT's...

    JD
    First of all, they have the #2 D right now. All they can do is improve by 1 spot. Second of all, the role of the DL has been the same ever since they went to the 3-4 and nothing has changed much since. When did our DL men ever have many sacks or splash plays? What is the most sacks any DL men has ever had since the 3-4? I think Ray Seals might have had 9 one year, maybe.

    Is our DL the best ever? No. Is it the best of all 3-4 DL this year? No. Is it such garbage that it makes our D stink? Obviously not. We are the 2nd-best ranked D in the entire league. Fo wheel.

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    First of all, they have the #2 D right now. All they can do is improve by 1 spot. Second of all, the role of the DL has been the same ever since they went to the 3-4 and nothing has changed much since. When did our DL men ever have many sacks or splash plays? What is the most sacks any DL men has ever had since the 3-4? I think Ray Seals might have had 9 one year, maybe.

    Is our DL the best ever? No. Is it the best of all 3-4 DL this year? No. Is it such garbage that it makes our D stink? Obviously not. We are the 2nd-best ranked D in the entire league. Fo wheel.
    There was a time Casey Hampton moved the pocket back 2-3 yards on every play. The opposing QB had no where to step up. We got pressure and hurried the decision making. It lead to sacks, mistakes, forced errors.

    Casey no longer has the same impact. You take away Aaron Smith and we're left with what we've got for the last couple of years.

    Everything on this defense starts with our DL. If we had young Casey, this D would look night and day better. The NT is the key to the 3-4. And that's our biggest gap right now.

    We get moved easily. This wasn't the case a few years ago.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •