Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life without DeCastro, get used to it

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Life without DeCastro, get used to it

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/tb/d8R1l?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter& utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers[/url]

It's a good thing we are getting decent play out of Foster; it sounds like DD is no where close to coming back.

Starter

User Info Menu

We always get good play out of Foster. He gets better every year.

And Oviedo, don't bother commenting. Everyone is sick and tired of your rant against Foster.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Foster, Colon on guard against Giants

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Steelers guard Ramon Foster has teamed with Willie Colon to open up holes for breakout running back Jonathan Dwyer.

Jonathan Dwyer has staked his claim as the feature back for a revamped Steelers run game but not without the benefit of tireless effort from guards Ramon Foster and Willie Colon.

The guards were hardly considered the strength of the offensive line when the season began. Now they are arguably among the most consistent tandem in the AFC.

Foster was plugged into the starting lineup after top draft pick David DeCastro suffered a potentially season-ending knee injury in the preseason. Colon, who missed all but one game the previous two seasons, continues to make adjustments at left guard after switching from right tackle.

On Sunday, Foster and Colon will face perhaps their stiffest challenge this season against the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.

“I trust and believe in those guys giving me the holes,” Dwyer said. “Right now the Giants are playing good football, and it’s going to be a good test for us.”

The Giants possess one of the league’s best defensive fronts. Defensive ends Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul (51⁄2 sacks) and Osi Umenyiora spearhead a relentless pass rush that has totaled 69 sacks over the past 24 regular-season games — including 21 sacks this season.

“We’ve got to control those guys the best we can,” Foster said. “They are built for the pass rush because of their speed and athleticism, which I don’t think many teams in this league have.

“They are long guys who can bat balls down. We have to start this game fast and stay consistent. We definitely have to control them so our guys can make plays.”

Colon is confident the Steelers can run the ball like they did while beating Cincinnati (167 yards) and Washington (140), in part, because the Giants’ defense appears somewhat vulnerable. The Giants might be 6-2 but not because their 24th-ranked defense has put together intimidating numbers. Their defensive deficiencies are offset by an offense that is third in points (29.2) and fourth in total yards (397 yards).

The Giants are 19th against the run, and their pass defense is 26th. Yet their defensive front — including defensive tackles Chris Canty and Linval Joseph — has an uncanny knack for playing its best in big games. It manhandled San Francisco’s offensive line in a 26-3 victory earlier this season and defused New England’s high-octane offense in the Super Bowl.

“We have to respect their résumé,” said Colon, a Bronx native. “The bottom line is we have to play hard and set the tone early.

“Athletic-wise, this is probably the best (front) we’ve seen. Obviously, they do a lot of good things, getting after it with the pass rush.”

The Steelers, though, will try to lean on a suddenly effective run game to slow down the Giants’ pass rush. The offensive line didn’t yield a sack the past two games, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been dropped only 13 times this season.

“The run game takes some pressure off of (Roethlisberger’s) arm,” Colon said. “Everyone is stepping up to the challenge, and this is another challenge for us.”

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2866552-85/giants-season-colon-pass-run-defensive-game-foster-guys-rush#ixzz2B6A7vwNQ[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The OL has gelled nicely these recent games. Playing well as a unit. I am thinking that Adams in place of Gilbert has aided the run game, at least by his not hurting any of our other players.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    The OL has gelled nicely these recent games. Playing well as a unit. I am thinking that Adams in place of Gilbert has aided the run game, at least by his not hurting any of our other players.
    Here's hoping that the Human Train Wreck...Gilbert...doesn't come back!!

JD
    The Pittsburgh Steelers: There is NO other Team!

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...6jpg-1-1-1.jpg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    We always get good play out of Foster. He gets better every year.

And Oviedo, don't bother commenting. Everyone is sick and tired of your rant against Foster.

At the beginning of the year we were picking our Breakout players for this year and I said FOSTER.
    Someone got all over me about that. Was it Ovi??
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the OL breakdown at the depot confirms foster had another great game, grading out well above 90%.

but you will never see ovi admit it as he is too invested in his irrational disdain for this kid and would never admit he is dead wrong about fosters play.

instead he will move the goalposts again and repeat his new mantra of "we will see what the steelers think in the offseason".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    the OL breakdown at the depot confirms foster had another great game, grading out well above 90%.

but you will never see ovi admit it as he is too invested in his irrational disdain for this kid and would never admit he is dead wrong about fosters play.

instead he will move the goalposts again and repeat his new mantra of "we will see what the steelers think in the offseason".
    Considering that we have to shed salary before trying to re-sign the likes of Mike Wallace (UFA), Keenan Lewis (UFA), Rashard Mendenhall (UFA), Jonathan Dwyer (RFA), Isaac Redman (RFA), Emmanuel Sanders (RFA), etc. whether or not we are able to re-sign UFA Ramon Foster really says nothing about what the team truly thinks of the guy. With wunderkind guard DeCastro coming back from injury, there may not be enough money left to keep Foster next year (unless they can save some money by releasing Colon and replacing him with Foster...not sure what the dead money penalty would be for cutting Colon, though, so I'm not sure if that is realistic).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    At the beginning of the year we were picking our Breakout players for this year and I said FOSTER.
    Someone got all over me about that. Was it Ovi??
    If "breakout" means lucky another player got hurt
    i guess you were right. Do you honestly believe he would be playing if DeCastro didn't get injured?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Considering that we have to shed salary before trying to re-sign the likes of Mike Wallace (UFA), Keenan Lewis (UFA), Rashard Mendenhall (UFA), Jonathan Dwyer (RFA), Isaac Redman (RFA), Emmanuel Sanders (RFA), etc. whether or not we are able to re-sign UFA Ramon Foster really says nothing about what the team truly thinks of the guy. With wunderkind guard DeCastro coming back from injury, there may not be enough money left to keep Foster next year (unless they can save some money by releasing Colon and replacing him with Foster...not sure what the dead money penalty would be for cutting Colon, though, so I'm not sure if that is realistic).
    oh, I agree ruthless, but that won't be the rhetoric coming from ovi.

he has moved the goalposts so often it makes one dizzy. First it was no business on an NFL roster, then it was adequate back up, then ok pinch starter, to well lets see what happens in the offseason.

embarrasing that he still won't admit that Foster is having a fine year, but still not surprising as this has been his stance ever since Ramon beat out his pet Urbik in that 1st training camp.