Thread: Be prepared, NYG are darn good

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Be prepared, NYG are darn good

I am kind of anticipating the usual suspect whining that our D stinks, etc. after this week's game. This just in: NY is the defending world champions. When they are focused, they do things like blow out a very good SF team, with ease. Manning will tear up our secondary; it could happen. But that doesn't mean our pass D stinks, as a matter of fact, they are the top rated pass D in the entire NFL. So, if a very good QB throwing to very good WRs hacks our D a bit, that doesn't mean the entire D stinks, even though I am sure some of you are going to claim it does and that it's the 3-4 DL at fault, as if our 3-4 DL has ever gotten any pressure on the QB.

Be prepared; even if we get a 4th Q. lead on the Giants, they always come back with ease. Losing our lead to these guys is no indictment on our D; they do it to everyone.

Now, if NY happens to come in unfocused, as the definitely do from time to time, we got a good shot. But if we get their best game, we lose. At what positions are the Steelers better than NY?

OL - NY much better.
    RB - NY by a lot (with us only having Redman)
    QB - a tie
    WR - It's close. Brown, Wallace, Sanders vs. Cruz, Nicks, et al. Cruz is the best out of them all.
    TE - Pgh, but not that meaningful.
    DL - NY by a mile.
    LBs - Pgh
    DBs - NY.
    Coaching - I got to give it to NY. I have never seen Coughlin make the blunders that Tomlin has the last few years, and TC has 2 Super Bowl wins, while Tomlin has 1.

If NY is focused, they will make Pgh look fairly bad. If not, Pgh could steal one. If we lose, it's not the end of the world, because this is probably the toughest team we will face all year.

Legend

User Info Menu

DECEIVING NUMBERS

The Giants rank 26th in pass defense, but the Steelers are ignoring the numbers.

“With some groups, the numbers don’t lie. But with this group, the numbers do lie,” Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. “You have to look at the sacks (21) and the turnovers (20). It’s tough to get anything done against them. They rise to the challenge in big games like they did against San Francisco.”

Quarterbacks are completing 62 percent of passes and have thrown 11 touchdowns against the Giants’ secondary.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2873029-85/numbers-games-rainey-steelers-eight-giants-lie-takes-whatever-yards#ixzz2BBodavnL[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I've seen a NY team who can be passed and run on at times. Heath and Sanders should be open in the middle of the field all day long.

I've seen an erratic Eli except in clutch situations.

And the Giants have only played 1 good team in SF. They've had a fairly weak schedule otherwise.

We're bad on the road, but this might be a good road team to face even though they're the SuperBowl champs. Maybe they're a little impacted at home by the recent weather.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I've seen a NY team who can be passed and run on at times. Heath and Sanders should be open in the middle of the field all day long.

I've seen an erratic Eli except in clutch situations.

And the Giants have only played 1 good team in SF. They've had a fairly weak schedule otherwise.

We're bad on the road, but this might be a good road team to face even though they're the SuperBowl champs. Maybe they're a little impacted at home by the recent weather.
    Philly, Dallas and TB ain't that bad. And they didn't just beat SF, they destroyed them. We all know they can get unfocused; that NY team isn't all that great. But when they are focused, they are obviously as good as anyone. Don't forget: Pgh has to come in on the same day they play, making their schedule "off" as well.

NY only has the 24th D. But we all know their DL can wreak havoc. And we are stuck with IR as our main back. And NY has the 4th ranked O, so that is a concern. And they are balanced, with the 6th ranked pass O and 12th ranked rushing game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Philly, Dallas and TB ain't that bad. And they didn't just beat SF, they destroyed them. We all know they can get unfocused; that NY team isn't all that great. But when they are focused, they are obviously as good as anyone. Don't forget: Pgh has to come in on the same day they play, making their schedule "off" as well.

NY only has the 24th D. But we all know their DL can wreak havoc. And we are stuck with IR as our main back. And NY has the 4th ranked O, so that is a concern. And they are balanced, with the 6th ranked pass O and 12th ranked rushing game.
    They beat SF on the road where the Giants seem to be more focused than at home. They also shut down Alex Smith who doesn't take shots down field. Against Alex Smith, you get to defend a short field. That's gonna be SF's problem in the playoffs.

I feel good about our chances after seeing how well we played the Bengals front 4.