Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Where is Mendy likely to go?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026

    Where is Mendy likely to go?

    Let's assume he ends up playing some and showing his usual flashes (some good, some bad, some will find him above average, others will not). I find it unlikely (I hope) that Pgh re-signs the guy. That being said, who is likely to sign him?

    1. Cinci. Mike Browns always longs for our left overs. Jarvis Green is OK, but not quite enough to take them to the promised land, in my opinion. (He has rushed for 431, 3.4 avg.) I could easily see them signing him and I wouldn't be that worried about it.

    2. AZ. They are Pgh west after all, and are 31st in rushing. They desperately need help at RB. They can keep taking our leftovers.

    3. Detroit. They keep blowing through back after back; this one has concussions all the time, the other is banged up forever. They need a steady back. Might be a decent fit.

    4. Jets. They have Greene and he isn't a full-time, big time back. They need someone else.

    5. Colts. They have a bunch of 2nd-teir type guys. Need more talent there.

    There you have it.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,113
    I think Mendy will stay in the 'burgh. That said, if he were to go it would be easy to see him go to AZ. I'd prefer to get him out of the AFC if he were going away.

  3. #3
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,752
    If Mendy struggles with injuries the rest of the season he will be in the 'burgh next year.

    If he gets healthy and makes some good runs and shows he's rehabbed...some team will make him an offer. Arizona comes to mind.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  4. #4
    Right now I don't think there's any reason to sign Mendenhall to a "decent" contract --- especially if it interferes with us signing someone like Mike Wallace.

    Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.

    I don't see a reason to sign Mendenhall to a sizeable contract -- granted (when healthy) he's probably our best back right now, but has his production been enough to re-sign him?

    An "obvious" place for him to go would be St. Louis -- as they will likely let the 31 year old Free Agent Steven Jackson go.

    Miami would also make a lot of sense, as Reggie Bush isn't an every down kind of RB -- and the passing game isn't their forte'
    Green Bay also makes a lot of sense -- they could use a Vet. RB, and Cedric Benson is only there for a one year contract.
    New England also could use a Vet. RB --- he makes sense here as well.

    Kansas City is possible if they plan on having another RB split carries with J. Charles.

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.
    "Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.

  6. #6
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.
    SB ring? He was in street clothes the whole year when we won the SB. I think he stays if he isn't trying to get paid big money and shows flashes in our new offense. We have a lot of RB's... but they tend to stay injured... and Batch hasn't shown me jack in the running department...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.
    Yeah, I thought that was an unusual statement as well. We seen what he has done behind a crap OL...the first time he ran behind a decent OL...he played really well. I think Mendy is the real deal...a complete back. I would hate to lose him.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.
    1,000 is not a true measuring stick for a RB anymore. 1,000 yards works out to 62.5 yards per game, certainly not a milestone number. Today's top backs aim for 1,600 yards, not 1,000. In his best season, 2010, Mendenhall was 7th in the league in rushing yards and a YPC below 4. In his second best season he was 14th with 1,108 yards - but a better YPC.

    Mendenhall has shown himself to be an NFL running back, but I can't say that he has distinguished himself. Maybe the OL, maybe not, but I've had at least as much frustration as happiness with the running game while he has been the #1.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    Right now I don't think there's any reason to sign Mendenhall to a "decent" contract --- especially if it interferes with us signing someone like Mike Wallace.

    Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.

    I don't see a reason to sign Mendenhall to a sizeable contract -- granted (when healthy) he's probably our best back right now, but has his production been enough to re-sign him?

    An "obvious" place for him to go would be St. Louis -- as they will likely let the 31 year old Free Agent Steven Jackson go.

    Miami would also make a lot of sense, as Reggie Bush isn't an every down kind of RB -- and the passing game isn't their forte'
    Green Bay also makes a lot of sense -- they could use a Vet. RB, and Cedric Benson is only there for a one year contract.
    New England also could use a Vet. RB --- he makes sense here as well.

    Kansas City is possible if they plan on having another RB split carries with J. Charles.
    GB I could see. I don't see Bilichick going for him though; he's too smart. KC? I have no idea of their backs other than Charles. They need a QB before a RB though.

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,844
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    If Mendy struggles with injuries the rest of the season he will be in the 'burgh next year.

    If he gets healthy and makes some good runs and shows he's rehabbed...some team will make him an offer. Arizona comes to mind.
    Whiz still desperately chasing our "sloppy seconds." Actually, it has gotten to be pretty pathetic. Guy can't identify or develop talent to save his life. Thank God the Rooney's know how to pick a coach.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •