Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Redundant Thoughts 2012 Week 9 – Redskins

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Right now, I see a different way of getting to the same place, like taking the alternate route from Google maps rather than the primary route, you get to the same place, just using different roads.
    Using this analogy, Arians was using unreliable Apple maps...his route kept getting Ben into wreck after wreck after wreck.

If we are 16th in scoring offense and have a healthy quarterback going into the playoffs, rather than 20th in scoring offense and have a ridiculously banged up quarterback heading into the playoffs, I'll be happy. A healthy Ben can do some real damage come playoff time...a rickety old broken down Ben doesn't give you the same odds at reaching (and potentially winning) another Super Bowl. Let's hope that we never have see that TV graphic documenting all of the various injuries he has accumulated to his assorted body parts.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    This is all true; however, the offense as a whole is still middle of the pack, no different than Bruce Arians offense at this point. It only functions differently, short passes, keep the QB healthy, take shots when you get them as opposed to very vertical, Ben scrambling making something out of nothing and rarely taking the check down. The problem is that the red zone is still an issue and the Steelers aren't scoring as much as is necessary. As a fan, I can't worry whether Ben plays one more year or one more decade, if the Steelers aren't doing any better with the new "style" what's the purpose?

When the Redskins game on offense becomes the norm and 27 points (which would put them at 4th in scoring offense) becomes habitual then the new offense will be making a difference. As of right now, they are dead in the middle at number 16 in scoring offense (they were 20th last year), so to me, moving up 4 spots isn't enough to coronate Haley as greater than Arians, he's simply going about being mediocre in a different manner.

The new style may allow Ben to get another hefty contract (due to being healthy enough to continue playing) to add to his already rather large financial reserve, but if it doesn't produce more deep runs in the playoffs or Super Bowls, as a fan it doesn't really matter and it may as well have been Arians running the offense.

If 27 points per game becomes the norm, rather than 21,22 or 23, and whether its against the worst or best defense then the change will be substantial (although, this wouldn't guarantee winning, it would put them in a better position to win in today's game.) and then Haley will have made a difference.

Right now, I see a different way of getting to the same place, like taking the alternate route from Google maps rather than the primary route, you get to the same place, just using different roads.

Pappy
    While I agree the offense is still middle of the pack it has certainly shown improvement since game 1. I think you can see improvement with each game that has been played. I read that after 2 games the steelers were ranked 25th in offense and now they are ranked 10th. I'm sure the ranking is by yardage which I don't put a lot of stock in but it does show that they have improved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are averaging 25 or 26 points a game by the end of the season. I'm impressed.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    While I agree the offense is still middle of the pack it has certainly shown improvement since game 1. I think you can see improvement with each game that has been played. I read that after 2 games the steelers were ranked 25th in offense and now they are ranked 10th. I'm sure the ranking is by yardage which I don't put a lot of stock in but it does show that they have improved.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are averaging 25 or 26 points a game by the end of the season. I'm impressed.
    I agree with this. There's something to be said for growing and the Steelers O seems to be on the right side of the momentum chart at this point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Drive to San Antonio. Look around inside the Alamo. When you find this, you are in the basement:

And tell them Large Marge sent you.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    And tell them Large Marge sent you.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.