Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anemic Pass Rush on Pace for Fewest Sacks Since '88

Legend

User Info Menu

Anemic Pass Rush on Pace for Fewest Sacks Since '88

And the adjustment is...more of the same!!!!

Published: Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 7:24 p.m.
    Updated 7 hours ago

There’s no need to think up any catchy sack-related nickname for these Steelers. Blitzburgh, it’s not.
    They suit up an average of 23 players on defense every week, but they have only 12 sacks in seven games. J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans has 9 1⁄2 sacks by himself.
    Jason Worilds (who played nine snaps Sunday against Washington) and Larry Foote lead with three sacks each.
    At their present pace, the Steelers will finish with 27 sacks, the fewest since they had 19 in 1988. The team low for a 16-game season is 18 in 1980.
    “We had only one sack (against the Redskins), but I think we did a great job of putting the pressure on,” outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley said.
    The Giants have 21 sacks, led by Jason Pierre-Paul’s 51⁄2
    Funny how Worilds who gets nothing but grief from many posters is one of the few players performing, even in a part-time basis
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds went untouched on 3 out of 3 of those sacks. It merely means other people were doing their job.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Worilds went untouched on 3 out of 3 of those sacks. It merely means other people were doing their job.
    ...which is the entire point of the defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

This D just needs to figure out how to get pressure and turnovers by the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This D just needs to figure out how to get pressure and turnovers by the playoffs.
    They need to figure out how to do it way before the play offs (like right now) or they won't be in the play offs

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodley's Hammy, Troy unable to play due to injury and James Harrison trying to get into football form are the reasons for less sacks. I think things will turn around for Steelers D if these 3 players get healthy by playoff time.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And the adjustment is...more of the same!!!!
    So what would you have them do? We have sent the outside backers and got nothing. We have sent the 2 in the middle, which you say we didn't do enough, and got nothing. We have sent corners and safeties and still got nothing.

No matter what we do we are not getting consistent pressure on the QB. Just for once take a step back and look. You have to realize that we don't have the talent that we used to on defense. With Harrison and Woodley not at 100% we have a hard time rushing the passer no matter what the DC calls.

Do you want us to send the house on every passing down? Wouldn't that play into one of your pet peeves about LeBeau? That he is predictable. The most he can do is try and mix it up which means sometimes you guess right and sometimes you guess wrong.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    So what would you have them do? We have sent the outside backers and got nothing. We have sent the 2 in the middle, which you say we didn't do enough, and got nothing. We have sent corners and safeties and still got nothing.

No matter what we do we are not getting consistent pressure on the QB. Just for once take a step back and look. You have to realize that we don't have the talent that we used to on defense. With Harrison and Woodley not at 100% we have a hard time rushing the passer no matter what the DC calls.

Do you want us to send the house on every passing down? Wouldn't that play into one of your pet peeves about LeBeau? That he is predictable. The most he can do is try and mix it up which means sometimes you guess right and sometimes you guess wrong.
    +1

Lebeau is sending lots of people and getting no results. We need guys to get healthy and young guys to step up.

I like what we've seen from Keenan and Cortez. Ziggy may be turning a corner. Worilds is getting a little more experience. I'd like to see a little more out of Heyward and McClendon. Then get us Woodley, Harrison, and Troy healthy.

The one thing I'd like to see Lebeau adjust is his use of Timmons. I think Lebeau overthinks it with Timmons and uses him to take something away from the opposing team. That may help the overall defense, but it sometimes takes Timmons out of the box and that in turn hurts our ability to make splash plays.

Maybe having Troy back will help. But keep Timmons in the box. Send him after the QB more. He could be the key to creating turnovers. But he can't do that covering downfield.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post

I disagree. We have not sent Timmons enough. We have not switched Harrison and Woodley to different sides or put both on the same side. There are things we have not done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The one thing I'd like to see Lebeau adjust is his use of Timmons. I think Lebeau overthinks it with Timmons and uses him to take something away from the opposing team. That may help the overall defense, but it sometimes takes Timmons out of the box and that in turn hurts our ability to make splash plays.

Maybe having Troy back will help. But keep Timmons in the box. Send him after the QB more. He could be the key to creating turnovers. But he can't do that covering downfield.
    Exactly what needs to happen. Timmons is our best weapon on defense right now to get the QB. Woodley and Harrison are broke and unreliable.