Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anemic Pass Rush on Pace for Fewest Sacks Since '88

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Worilds is hurt more than he plays. Looks like OLB may be moving to a high draft need along with safety. What is up with Chris Carter?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

Funny how Worilds who gets nothing but grief from many posters is one of the few players performing, even in a part-time basis
    Jason Worilds is good as a situational pass rusher, it's when he has to be an every down player that he has problems holding up against the run or dropping into pass coverage.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

harrison didnt want anything to do with otas, mini camp and preseason games and the best way to do that was to not address his knee situation until the very last second
    woodley got his huge contract so he decided it was okay to not get into shape and 'tweek' his hammy whenever he wants some time off
    when these two guys sole responsibility is to pressure the qb and they are ineffective, mostly due to their own doing, its no wonder why the oppossing qbs have all day to carve up our secondary

Legend

User Info Menu

Exactly what needs to happen. Timmons is our best weapon on defense right now to get the QB. Woodley and Harrison are broke and unreliable.
    have you seen JH in coverage? He is toast... while I would love to see Timmons blitz more I fear the outcome would be RB's and TE's running free down field.

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree. We have not sent Timmons enough. We have not switched Harrison and Woodley to different sides or put both on the same side. There are things we have not done.
    How often in the past have the Steelers swapped their OLBs? Very rare, if ever is my guess, I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Harrison plays his side and Woodley plays his side of the field, rarely swapping.

How often have the Steelers in the past put both Woodley and Harrison on the same side? See above

Why would they start doing these types of things in the middle of a game? I could be wrong and maybe the Steelers line up Harrison and Woodley on different sides of the field often and possibly both on the same side often, but I certainly don't remember them doing these types of things. I'm not sure starting now would be a good idea.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    How often in the past have the Steelers swapped their OLBs? Very rare, if ever is my guess, I'm not sure, but it seems to me that Harrison plays his side and Woodley plays his side of the field, rarely swapping.

How often have the Steelers in the past put both Woodley and Harrison on the same side? See above

Why would they start doing these types of things in the middle of a game? I could be wrong and maybe the Steelers line up Harrison and Woodley on different sides of the field often and possibly both on the same side often, but I certainly don't remember them doing these types of things. I'm not sure starting now would be a good idea.

Pappy

Thank you for confirming that we just play the templated solution and don't think outside the box or try different things. That is exactly why the opponents know exactly what is coming.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Thank you for confirming that we just play the templated solution and don't think outside the box or try different things. That is exactly why the opponents know exactly what is coming.
    Whether they know what is coming or not, they still have to do something about it...and that is why the team defense needs to be sound and tackles need to be made...

Legend

User Info Menu

You're welcome (I knew this would be your response) and that's how the arguably one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL played. Change just for the sake of change is ludicrous. Why would you move pieces around as if a player that has played ROLB for his entire career could all of a sudden be the same force as a LOLB and vice versa? Or, implement a play with both backers on the same side never having practiced or schemed for it in all the years with D1ck Lebeau as DC? I know you want Lebeau gone, but making the types of changes you're talking about don't come without a learning curve, even for veterans.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    You're welcome (I knew this would be your response) and that's how the arguably one of the best defenses in the history of the NFL played. Change just for the sake of change is ludicrous. Why would you move pieces around as if a player that has played ROLB for his entire career could all of a sudden be the same force as a LOLB and vice versa? Or, implement a play with both backers on the same side never having practiced or schemed for it in all the years with D1ck Lebeau as DC? I know you want Lebeau gone, but making the types of changes you're talking about don't come without a learning curve, even for veterans.

Pappy
    Change for change sake? I think not. How about because the old "secret sauce" isn't working anymore. That is why we are on track for the fewest sacks in the past 25 years and we couldn't spell Interception let alone get one. It doesn't matter what happened last year or any year before that? History has nothing to do with what will happen this Sunday or in any of the following games.

It's not about wanting LeBeau gone as many want to characterize any discussion of the defense as a vendetta...like I have any power to make it happen. I just want him to do something not just put out the same thing week after week whether it works or not. Just seek continuous improvement and not try to be the same and hope it works out this week.

We are playing against the QB who has been sacked the fewest times in the NFL this season. Do you really think Harrison and Woodley are just going to have a light come on this week? That is why you gameplan for each specific game to put players in the position to be successful, exploit a specific opponents weaknesses and influence a positive outcome not just put them where they are comfortable.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Change for change sake? I think not. How about because the old "secret sauce" isn't working anymore. That is why we are on track for the fewest sacks in the past 25 years and we couldn't spell Interception let alone get one. It doesn't matter what happened last year or any year before that? History has nothing to do with what will happen this Sunday or in any of the following games.

It's not about wanting LeBeau gone as many want to characterize any discussion of the defense as a vendetta...like I have any power to make it happen. I just want him to do something not just put out the same thing week after week whether it works or not. Just seek continuous improvement and not try to be the same and hope it works out this week.

We are playing against the QB who has been sacked the fewest times in the NFL this season. Do you really think Harrison and Woodley are just going to have a light come on this week? That is why you gameplan for each specific game to put players in the position to be successful, exploit a specific opponents weaknesses and influence a positive outcome not just put them where they are comfortable.
    It has nothing to do with the "secret sauce", the players are losing their one on one match-ups more than they are winning them. The secret sauce still works, but the line cooks and sous chefs aren't quite as good as those in the past. Putting players out of position just to make a change just doesn't make any sense (to me anyhow). It's a long season and patience has always been a virtue for the Steeler organization and it will serve them well this year as well. You won't see players moving to different positions, but hopefully, what we may see is that some of the players that have been learning this year will start playing and reacting rather than thinking and then playing. The coaches groom players to play a certain position and hope they develop. We may be seeing some of those players develop on the fly this year and that would be a good thing.

Moving players from one position to another weakens two positions, it doesn't strengthen any positions. Woodley and Harrison have been successful (double digit sacks) never moving around the football field. Would you move Polamalu to FS, after all, it's another safety position, how difficult could it be for a HOFer to move form SS to FS? Would you move Ed Reed from FS to SS? Just another safety position, right?

The defense as a unit needs to continue to do the things they did this past week and if the offense can continue to chew up chunks of clock the defense will have limited exposure. This defense is probably only average and hopefully, by the end of the year they may be above average. They need the offense to be consistent; not a change of positions or leader.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -