Thread: Roethlisberger out shines RG III

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger out shines RG III

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-roethlisberger-outshines-griffin-iii-659654/[/url]
    October 29, 2012

Roethlisberger out shines RG III

By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger says he doesn't read the newspapers or watch sports news on television. But he hears things. "I have some really close friends who will tell me something when they think I need to know it."

That's a good thing.

Someone told Roethlisberger last week that ESPN's Keyshawn Johnson predicted Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III would outperform Roethlisberger Sunday at Heinz Field.

"I just thought, 'Hmmm. OK. We'll see,' " Roethlisberger said.

So we did.

The Steelers beat the Redskins, 27-12, in large part because Roethlisberger was better than Griffin, the NFL's most-hyped player in a long time.

OK, since Tim Tebow last season.

Griffin is not your typical rookie and is light years better than Tebow. He was very good against the Steelers defense and would have been great if his receivers hadn't dropped as many as 10 passes. The defense never rattled him. Neither did Heinz Field, which has been known to intimidate veteran quarterbacks. Griffin lived up to the pregame accolades. He's a wonderful quarterback.

But Roethlisberger was better. He completed 24 of 33 passes for 222 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. His passer rating was a strong 121.0.

Clearly, Roethlisberger has settled in nicely in first-year coordinator Todd Haley's offense, which brings us to something else Roethlisberger heard last week.

"People made a big deal of me calling it a dink-and-dunk offense," he said. "That's not a negative. Todd and I talked about it. We laughed about it. That is not a bad thing. We want to possess the ball and be a balanced offense. I think we're doing that right now."

Everybody knows Roethlisberger was close to former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who refers to Roethlisberger as "my other son." They also know Roethlisberger was slow to wrap his arms around Haley in a warm embrace. Roethlisberger admitted he wondered if a change in coordinators was necessary. He also knew of Haley's reputation for getting in the face of his quarterback on the sideline and wasn't excited about playing for him.

The two had "one little incident" -- Roethlisberger's words -- on the sideline in the opening game in Denver. But other than that? Peace, harmony and four wins in seven games.

"It's getting better," Roethlisberger said. "We're developing a relationship. We're doing some good things on offense. We ran a good dose of the no-huddle today, which I really like because I feel like I see the field better. I like a lot of the things we're doing. I don't have a problem with Todd, and I don't think he has one with me. We get along just fine."

Haley was the first to greet Roethlisberger with a tap on the helmet when he walked to the sideline in the game's final minute. Coach Mike Tomlin was there as well with a pat on the backside. It was no wonder. It was a really good day for the offense, not just for Roethlisberger, but for running back Jonathan Dwyer, who had his second consecutive 100-yard game with 107 rushing yards, and the offensive line, which kept Roethlisberger clean. He wasn't sacked and was hurried just one time.

Roethlisberger is off to a great start this season. He has thrown for 14 touchdowns with just three interceptions. His passer rating is 101.4, more than 9 points better than his career average of 92.1 coming into the season.

Haley deserves credit for all of that, but the best thing he has done with his quick-passing offense is keep Roethlisberger from taking so many hits. Roethlisberger said he feels "great" seven games into the season. His right shoulder doesn't hurt. His legs are good. His ribs are pain-free.

The fear of injury didn't stop Roethlisberger from running with the ball on the Steelers' next-to-last play in the final minute, avoiding a hit from safety Madieu Williams instead of just going down immediately. It was a stupid thing for him to do -- he's too valuable to the team to take any chances after a game has been decided -- but he said he had a goal in mind.

"I need to get to 1,000 rushing yards for my career. I wasn't just going to go down there."

Roethlisberger needed 17 yards going into the game. He still needs 11 going into the road game Sunday against the world champion New York Football Giants.

"I don't pay attention to many of my numbers, but I'm aware of that one," Roethlisberger said. "For not being a running quarterback, I think 1,000 yards is going to be pretty cool. It's funny, because you know me, I'm usually not into the numbers at all."

That isn't entirely true. Roethlisberger cares very much about his number of wins as the Steelers starting quarterback. Eight-and-a-half seasons into what's looking like a Hall of Fame career, he's 84-36 in the regular season, including 15-1 against NFC opponents at Heinz Field. He's also 10-4 in the postseason with two Super Bowl wins and a loss in a third Super Bowl.

That's why outplaying Griffin didn't thrill Roethlisberger nearly as much as two other numbers Sunday.

27-12

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wonder where all those people are who said Ben can't get rid of the ball quickly, that he always holds on to it too long. What happened to those who said it wasn't BA but Ben that caused all the sacks. Just wonderin'
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I wonder where all those people are who said Ben can't get rid of the ball quickly, that he always holds on to it too long. What happened to those who said it wasn't BA but Ben that caused all the sacks. Just wonderin'
    Those people have a choice right now: they can either change their minds or lose their credibility.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Ben held onto the ball because he was waiting for downfield routes to develop or simply ignoring Heath Miller or a RB...

That is no longer an option...

Legend

User Info Menu

Did anyone really think that RGIII was going to outplay Ben? Ben is a proven commodity in the NFL and RGIII is still learning; it's amazing that anyone would be stunned by the fact that a 3-time Super Bowl quarterback and 2-time Super Bowl winner outplayed a rookie. Really?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    not me, I have always been more than willing to blame Arians for everything...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    not me, I have always been more than willing to blame Arians for everything...

I'm sure the fans in Indy are happy to blame him for their unexpected success this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm sure the fans in Indy are happy to blame him for their unexpected success this season.
    the Colts are playing inspired football right now because of Chuck Pagano. I'll give Arians credit for rallying the troops around that cause in his capacity of interim HC.

however, as an OC he still leaves a lot to be desired as Indy's offense is 24th in the NFL with a 19.4 scoring average.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    the Colts are playing inspired football right now because of Chuck Pagano. I'll give Arians credit for rallying the troops around that cause in his capacity of interim HC.

however, as an OC he still leaves a lot to be desired as Indy's offense is 24th in the NFL with a 19.4 scoring average.
    They are playing with a lot of rookies, so it's to be expected that they aren't blowing up the numbers. But they are winning more than anyone outside the organization expected. Bruce Arians is, as an interim, outperforming a lot of full NFL head coaches right now.