Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwyer has right quad injury, will not practice Wed. and other News

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer has right quad injury, will not practice Wed. and other News

Two steps forward, one step back, that's how it goes when it comes to the Steelers' efforts to finally have their full collection of healthy running backs.

Coach Mike Tomlin said during his weekly press conference Tuesday that the running backs who opened the season as the top two on the depth chart -- Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman -- are scheduled to practice Wednesday.

Neither has played in the last two games due to injury (Mendenhall with an Achilles; Redman an ankle sprain). In their stead, RB Jonathan Dwyer has shown small signs of being a breakout star.

Dwyer has 229 rushing yards and has had consecutive 100-yard games -- the first time that's happened since Willie Parker in 2008. But he emerged from Sunday's 27-12 victory against Washington with a right quad strain.

"He is tentatively scheduled not to practice [Wednesday]," Tomlin said. "He is being evaluated. Hopefully, Thursday will be a practice day for him."

Clark going through concussion testing: Tomlin said FS Ryan Clark must pass a round of testing before he is cleared to practice this week or play Sunday at the New York Giants. Clark sustained a concussion against the Redskins.

"We will continue to monitor him throughout the week," Tomlin said. "There are a battery of tests that he has to go through in order to get clearance, and rightfully so. We will proceed with that protocol tomorrow."

For his part, on Twitter @RealRClark25, Clark said late Sunday: "#Steelernation! Thanks for the prayers and well wishes!! I'm good, I'll be back out there on Sunday against the Giants! Takes more than that."

Monday, Clark tweeted: "It's a beautiful afternoon! Extremely excited about our team! Feeling pretty good too! It's a great day to be alive!"

Other injury updates: Tomlin discussed several other players who are dealing with injuries. Notably, he confirmed that RT Marcus Gilbert and SS Troy Polamalu would remain out.

Tomlin termed LB Stevenson Sylvester as "very questionable" with his hamstring injury but said LB LaMarr Woodley's hamstring injury "looks more promising." After the game Sunday, Woodley said he was fine. But he has had an extensive history of hamstring trouble over the last calendar year. Tomlin said Woodley might be limited in practice Wednesday. "Obviously his participation and how he looks over the course of the week will determine his availability," Tomlin said.

Yet another linebacker who has a hamstring injury, Brandon Johnson, is scheduled to practice.

Tomlin said G David DeCastro "is working individually and working his way back to us." The Steelers' first-round pick, DeCastro hasn't appeared in a game yet since sustaining a knee injury during the preseason. He remains on the IR list but is eligible to return to the active roster next week.

Sandy not affecting Steelers' plans: As you might expect from Tomlin, he said he "acknowledges" the problems the storm created along the East Coast in terms of how it could impact the Steelers' game at the Giants on Sunday. But he said, "I haven't spent any time pondering them."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello indicated that the league would stage the game as scheduled. "We are going to prepare to play and will stay in close touch with public authorities,” he said.

Steelers fans may recall that QB Ben Roethlisberger's first career start was in the aftermath of Hurricane Jeanne. Roethlisberger completed 12 of 22 passes with a touchdown and an interception in a driving rainstorm Sept. 26, 2004, in Miami. The Steelers won the game, 13-3, the first of 13 consecutive victories Roethlisberger would start that season to begin his career. Hurricane Jeanne had struck the coast of Florida the previous day.

Taunting penalty "an awesome learning opportunity:" Tomlin said he addressed the entire team in the aftermath of a taunting flag thrown on WR Antonio Brown for running the final 15 yards backward into the end zone on a punt return. (The touchdown was called back any way for an illegal block in the back penalty on CB Curtis Brown).

Tomlin was complimentary of Brown in explaining how he addressed the misdeed.

"Briefly, simply what I said is that it was not respectable," Tomlin said. "Those of us that know Antonio and watch him work on a day-to-day basis, if one word describes him professionally it's respectable. How he prepares, what he's willing to do, what kind of teammate he is, and that's represented in his play. That's the way we approached it. I thought it was an awesome learning opportunity for the entire group because, as professionals, I think that's a word everyone would want [used] to describe their play. I think people that don't see you work on a day-to-day basis are capable of making judgments about you personally and professionally based on what they see, so we want to do what's respectable. That's what we talked about and kind of moved on."

Ta'amu status unclear: Tomlin would not commit to saying DT Alameda Ta'amu's spot on the active roster is safe. But the team's ancillary moves indicate it probably is.

The Steelers cut DL Corbin Bryant from the practice squad Tuesday and signed OL John Malecki and TE Jamie McCoy to their practice squad. Both Malecki and McCoy have long histories with the Steelers over the last two seasons, bouncing on and off the practice squad and active roster.

Releasing a defensive lineman would seem to be a sign that Ta'amu has a future with the Steelers. Ta'amu was arrested on Oct. 14 and charged on 15 counts, including felonies, after an alcohol-fueled chase with police.

"We'll deal with that," Tomlin said about Ta'amu's roster status. "We have a couple days' exemption from the league. Obviously, we're going to do what's best for us professionally here in an effort to win this game this weekend. Obviously, he's still in play. Obviously, we've got a decision to make and we'll make it at the appropriate time.

Pressed further on Ta'amu, and how his future with the Steelers could be tied to legal proceedings or discipline from the NFL, Tomlin said: "They're really separate issues. He's got in-house issues. Of course, he as legal issues and he has National Football League issues. Such is life."

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20753322/steelers-running-back-injury-carousel-continues[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Why so many hamstring injuries? Could the Steelers be doing better in the way of conditioning, or...? Just wondering.

Backup

User Info Menu

This is a quad, not a hammy. I thought he pointed to his right quad when he came out of the game,.......just before he got to the sideline.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He should be fine. Why is it I find reading quotes from head coaches to be completely a waste of time?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You play football, ur gonna get hurt.
    A hurt Quad most likely is a bruise, not a strain like a hammy.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin remains mum about Steelers’ running backs

10/31/2012
    By F. Dale Lolley

PITTSBURGH – If Mike Tomlin knows who his starter will be at running back when the Steelers travel to New York to face the Giants, then he’s not telling.

As he has time and again, Tomlin is keeping his cards close to his vest.

Though Tomlin said he expects to have Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer back at practice this week, he refused to say which running back will start Sunday for the Steelers (4-3) against New York (6-2).

“I’m not a big hypothetical guy,” said Tomlin. “I’m going to live day to day throughout this week and work with the guys who are healthy in preparation and kind of make the decision as we go.”

Today, that choice would be Redman, who has missed the past two games with an ankle injury.

Tomlin expects Redman to return to full practice, with Mendenhall, who has missed the past two games with a sore Achilles’ tendon, to resume work in position drills.

Dwyer, who has gained 229 yards on 34 carries in the Steelers’ last two games – both victories – is expected to sit out today with a sore quad but return to practice Thursday.

Redman started the Steelers’ first three games with Mendenhall out while recovering from a torn ACL. Redman had limited success, rushing for 72 yards on 32 carries.

Mendenhall returned for an Oct. 7 game against Philadelphia and gained 68 yards on 13 carries before rushing for just six yards on six attempts in a loss at Tennessee and aggravating his Achilles’ tendon.

After averaging only 3.0 yards per carry in their first five games, the Steelers have averaged 5.5 yards per rushing attempt that last two games with Dwyer getting the bulk of the carries.

“We thought he was a talented young guy with upside,” said Tomlin of Dwyer, a sixth round draft pick in 2010. “He was a third-year junior when he came out. He was the ACC Player of the Year. He had some consistent performances and a nice combination of experience and youth, (gaining) 1,300, 1,400 yards or whatever he had his last two years, and he was still 20 years old. We liked the upside. He’s growing and maturing since he’s been here and getting an opportunity to show us what he’s capable of. We expect that to continue.”

While Tomlin wasn’t talking much about his running back situation, the Steelers do expect to have free safety Ryan Clark back sometime this week, provided Clark passes his league mandated concussion tests. Clark suffered a concussion Sunday in the Steelers’ 27-12 victory over Washington.

“We will continue to monitor him throughout the week,” said Tomlin. “There are a battery of tests that he has to go through in order to get clearance, and rightfully so. We will proceed with that protocol (Wednesday).”

Odds and end zones

Safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and right tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) will not play against the Giants. ... Tomlin said linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) is “very questionable.” ... The Steelers released defensive lineman Corbin Bryant from the practice squad and signed guard John Malecki and fullback/tight end Jamie McCoy.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/10-31-2012-Steelers-running-backs[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

This running game of ours that seems to be getting pretty good lately ...

How much is chemistry? Should we mess up the O line if DeCastro is healthy this week? If Dwyer is good to go, should he start or Mendy? And if the first few series suck in terms of the running game, how soon should Tomlin (or Haley?) pull the trigger and make a change?

If it were me ... assuming Dwyer was good to go ... I'd start him, keep the Oline the same whether DeCastro was ready or not, and go at least a half before making any changes. This has the added advantage of giving Mendenhall's Achilles a chance to heal another week, thought that's not the main reason I'd do it - which is to keep riding a winning horse.

Just my 2c!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    This running game of ours that seems to be getting pretty good lately ...

How much is chemistry? Should we mess up the O line if DeCastro is healthy this week? If Dwyer is good to go, should he start or Mendy? And if the first few series suck in terms of the running game, how soon should Tomlin (or Haley?) pull the trigger and make a change?

If it were me ... assuming Dwyer was good to go ... I'd start him, keep the Oline the same whether DeCastro was ready or not, and go at least a half before making any changes. This has the added advantage of giving Mendenhall's Achilles a chance to heal another week, thought that's not the main reason I'd do it - which is to keep riding a winning horse.

Just my 2c!
    I wouldn't start DD either. We need healthy backups and he is still learning. He can be plugged in if needed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin termed LB Stevenson Sylvester as "very questionable" with his hamstring injury but said LB LaMarr Woodley's hamstring injury "looks more promising." After the game Sunday, Woodley said he was fine. But he has had an extensive history of hamstring trouble over the last calendar year. Tomlin said Woodley might be limited in practice Wednesday. "Obviously his participation and how he looks over the course of the week will determine his availability," Tomlin said.

Yet another linebacker who has a hamstring injury, Brandon Johnson, is scheduled to practice.
    This was what I was referring to, not Dwyer's quad injury...So I ask again, why so many hamstring issues? Are the Steelers missing something when it comes to conditioning?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    He should be fine. Why is it I find reading quotes from head coaches to be completely a waste of time?

Because talking to the media IS a waste of their time. It is a necessary evil but they all know the vast majority of the media are nothing but idiots. That's why unless you hear it from a guy like Clayton, just ignore it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"