Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

October 28, 2012 by Paul Jackiewicz

According to Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, wide receiver Mike Wallace likely won’t be back with the Pittsburgh Steelers next season, after a sub par year so far.

“Mike Wallace, having a subpar season in Pittsburgh while working under the restricted free agent tender, looks set to depart in the offseason barring a major change in the second half of the season. Wallace (29 receptions, 397 yards, 4 TD) has not been a vertical threat this season, has struggled for consistency since coming back from a prolonged holdout, and is no longer the team’s top pass-catching option.

“Wallace seems to be struggling with the emergence of recently-extended Antonio Brown as the No. 1 receiver. Wallace’s confidence has waned and the Steelers would not be inclined to franchise him a second time, or pay him the $11 million or so a year he was seeking in the offseason, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

All signs are pointing to a departure, unless Wallace was seeking to significantly alter his demands, and that’s unlikely at this point given his stance last offseason. The Steelers want to extend receiver Emmanuel Sanders as well, and won’t tie up too much money in any one position. Aditionally, letting Wallace walk would land them a strong compensatory pick,” wrote La Canfora.

It will be interesting to see if a team is willing to overpay to acquire Wallace in free agency. So far he hasn’t looked like a dominant number one receiver.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_mike_wallace_likely_done_in_pittsburgh/12078085[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sure the FO will do the right thing. This is not the kind of drama that's even worth considering in the middle of the season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ridiculous article.

start with the fact wallace has never been franchised, so to franchise him "again" seems impossible. And its kinda hard to be a vertical threat when you rarely throw it deep. The rest about confidence and having a sub par year is purely subjective.

I don't believe wallace will be a steeler next year either, but this report is just a whole pile of slop.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why do you guys think they have not even tried to go deep to Wallace? After Ben said he has no issues trusting Wallace; I thought for sure we would see it in the skins game, especially in the second half. Washington has a weak secondary.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seriously...they go from talking about him working under the restricted FA tender, to saying he has been franchised this year. No way anyone who knows football wrote this, so it has no credibility in my opinion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

its the new offense. I like it, but I cannot blame wallace if he is getting frustrated. I'm sure this will turn into the usual wallace pile on, but there should be some debate on if wallace is being used to his strengths which is the coaches responsibility.

playing devils advocate, its like we are using a ferrari to make a trip to the grocery store.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    its the new offense. I like it, but I cannot blame wallace if he is getting frustrated. I'm sure this will turn into the usual wallace pile on, but there should be some debate on if wallace is being used to his strengths which is the coaches responsibility.

playing devils advocate, its like we are using a ferrari to make a trip to the grocery store.
    The coaches are doing the right thing by having an offense that everyone is thriving under. Wallace's desire for a big contract should have no bearing on anything. It's about the team not Wallace.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    there should be some debate on if wallace is being used to his strengths which is the coaches responsibility.

that's actually a pretty good analogy...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The coaches are doing the right thing by having an offense that everyone is thriving under. Wallace's desire for a big contract should have no bearing on anything. It's about the team not Wallace.
    gee, thanks for letting me me know its about the team. Never thought of it that way.

I never said wallaces desire for a new contract should have any bearing on how the steelers call plays, that is your bias speaking. What I said is that there is some debate on if wallace is being used correctly. Maybe haley is setting up more deep balls later in the year, as I do believe the time will come where we need to stretch the field more.

I have said I like the offense and believe it will evolve, but your disdain and disgust for wallace will always color how you view his role. I guess he should keep playing football for far below his market value to please you.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    that's actually a pretty good analogy...

The Ferrari analogy is already taken in Pittsburgh, you're going to have to try again Eddie.

AYwXhc4CEAA2udn.jpg