Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

  1. #51
    Hall of Famer Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    when average joe can do what mike wallace can do, then I might care what he thinks.

    might.
    Mike Wallace can run fast and catch a football... sometimes.

    Just sayin'

  2. #52
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And couldn't Wallace be playing for $8.5 to $9M right now and have millions in a bonus in the bank? Wasn't that HIS choice not to accept that money. I agree he is underpaid, but didn't Mike Wallace put Mike Wallace in that position.
    I agree with the above.

    My problem with him this year is what seems to me to be him playing scared. Unless you're a QB or in some strange circumstances you fight for yardage. The way Dwyer runs has this to it. The way Heath runs after the catch is like this. The way Hines used to run after the catch is the same. And so on. When I see him catching the ball and then hitting the ground before he's even touched when he could at least try to make a move or fight for yardage is unacceptable to me.

    That said, if he starts playing hungry again and keeps the drops to a minimum I'd love to have him back. For top-WR money? No. For a little more than what we paid Brown, sure.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  3. #53
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Mike Wallace can run fast and catch a football... sometimes.

    Just sayin'
    did you even read the ruthless post? You cannot argue his numbers, but yet some people (sounds like you)
    seem to think mike wallaces grow on trees.

    all you did was prove my point that most wallace detractors refuse to admit that he has severely outperformed his money, and has also been very restrained in his comments about his contract situation. Believe me, there have been a hell of a lot worse. Look back to another steeler WR just a few years ago.

    just sayin'.

  4. #54
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    25,178
    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    I agree with the above.

    My problem with him this year is what seems to me to be him playing scared. Unless you're a QB or in some strange circumstances you fight for yardage. The way Dwyer runs has this to it. The way Heath runs after the catch is like this. The way Hines used to run after the catch is the same. And so on. When I see him catching the ball and then hitting the ground before he's even touched when he could at least try to make a move or fight for yardage is unacceptable to me.

    That said, if he starts playing hungry again and keeps the drops to a minimum I'd love to have him back. For top-WR money? No. For a little more than what we paid Brown, sure.
    Yeah, but he's never really done this, though. If he was an animal after the catch for the first 3 seasons, but then suddenly kept going down on his own prior to contact in year 4, then you might have something in regards to self-preservation motives. He was a never an after-the-catch beast as a runner though (unless you hit him on a quick-strike slant where he could just run past people after the catch, of course).


    1 CB Vernon Hargreaves Florida 5-10 204
    2 DT Austin Johnson Penn State 6-4 314
    3 SS Jeremy Cash Duke 6-0 212
    4 LB Jaylon Smith Notre Dame 6-2 223
    6 WR Moritz Boehringer Germany 6-4 227
    7 OT Brandon Shell South Carolina 6-5 324
    7 RB Tre Madden USC 6-0 223

    UDFA
    DE David Onyemata, LB Ian Seau, FS Jordan Lomax, CB DeAndre Elliott,
    QB Jeff Driskel, TE David Morgan, OG Spencer Drango, OC Mike Matthews

    2015 MNF Executive Champion!

  5. #55
    Hall of Famer Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,516
    Mr. Spaghetti, I read the Ruthless post and I agree that Mike Wallace was grossly underpaid for what he has done under his contract. And though I say Mike Wallace is fast and can catch a football, I understand he is one of the best in the world at what he does. But did you read Ovi's post?

    All I'm saying is that it's human nature to for people to feel the way they feel about Mike Wallace. He makes big money, had the chance to make bigger money, but that wasn't good enough for him. People don't expect more out of A. Brown because he never had a chance to hold out.

  6. #56
    Pro Bowler eniparadoxgma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, Kensucky
    Posts
    2,170
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Yeah, but he's never really done this, though. If he was an animal after the catch for the first 3 seasons, but then suddenly kept going down on his own prior to contact in year 4, then you might have something in regards to self-preservation motives. He was a never an after-the-catch beast as a runner though (unless you hit him on a quick-strike slant where he could just run past people after the catch, of course).
    It's less about him being a beast after the catch then it is about effort to me. Regardless of whether or not he even gets more yardage I want to see a guy making the effort. That extra yard or two that he could get by continuing forward instead of hitting the dirt could very well make a difference in the game. I know he's never been Hines-like in this regard but I would argue we haven't had enough of a body of work to find out. Before this year he was used almost exclusively as a deep threat. Either way, (if it's something that just started happening or new this year), I don't like it.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

  7. #57
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,211
    The only difference I see in Wallace's play is what has basically been forced upon him by the new offence. Other than that, he's doing his thing.

  8. #58
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    25,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Mr. Spaghetti, I read the Ruthless post and I agree that Mike Wallace was grossly underpaid for what he has done under his contract. And though I say Mike Wallace is fast and can catch a football, I understand he is one of the best in the world at what he does. But did you read Ovi's post?

    All I'm saying is that it's human nature to for people to feel the way they feel about Mike Wallace. He makes big money, had the chance to make bigger money, but that wasn't good enough for him. People don't expect more out of A. Brown because he never had a chance to hold out.
    When I write an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses Jigawatts.

    When Jigawatts writes an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses me.



    1 CB Vernon Hargreaves Florida 5-10 204
    2 DT Austin Johnson Penn State 6-4 314
    3 SS Jeremy Cash Duke 6-0 212
    4 LB Jaylon Smith Notre Dame 6-2 223
    6 WR Moritz Boehringer Germany 6-4 227
    7 OT Brandon Shell South Carolina 6-5 324
    7 RB Tre Madden USC 6-0 223

    UDFA
    DE David Onyemata, LB Ian Seau, FS Jordan Lomax, CB DeAndre Elliott,
    QB Jeff Driskel, TE David Morgan, OG Spencer Drango, OC Mike Matthews

    2015 MNF Executive Champion!

  9. #59
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    People don't expect more out of A. Brown because he never had a chance to hold out.
    what does this even mean? It literally makes zero sense to me.

    and when you follow up all mike wallace does is run fast and sometimes catches a football with, he is one of the best in the world at what he does, it strains your credibility.

  10. #60
    Hall of Famer Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,516
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    When I write an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses Jigawatts.

    When Jigawatts writes an actual thoughtful Steeler post instead of some goofy joke or pop culture reference, it confuses me.

    The standard is the standard.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •