Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Mike Wallace likely done in Pittsburgh

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Mikey getting a little bit of an attitude? It seems to me like everyone is flourishing in Haley's offense.

Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace initially suggested he wasn't sure about whether he was a big part of the offense in Pittsburgh's Week 8 win over Washington. He backtracked on those comments Wednesday.
    Tribune-Review columnist Joe Starkey mentioned after the Steelers' 27-12 win over Washington how quickly Mike Wallace was dressed and leaving the locker room after the game. Starkey tracked him down and asked him his thoughts on whether he was a big part of the Steelers' offensive game plan after being targeted on nine passes, catching seven, for 62 yards.

It was also discussed by BTSC friend Marc Uhlman of SteelersAddicts.
    Transcribed from Starkey's post on Sulia Monday:
    Wallace: "I don't know about that. I made a couple of catches and got us a couple of first downs. It's always good to get first downs."
    Me: "You don't think you were a big part of the game plan?"
    Wallace: "I don't know. I don't know. I had a couple of catches."
    Wallace backed off that suggestion in an interview with 93.7.
    "Right now...we're not getting the yards per catch we want, but we're still getting opportunities, so we just have to take some short ones, and make them big."

Fortunately, he didn't use the inflammatory phrase "dink and dunk" to describe the Steelers offense, that, through seven games, is averaging 7.4 yards per passing attempt, down from eight yards per attempt in 2011. It's probably smart of Wallace to back off those statements, possibly made in the heat of the moment immediately following the game. Wallace averaged seven targets a game in 2011, and is averaging 8.2 targets through seven games this season. He's averaging 12.8 yards per catch, which doesn't even rank him in the top 50 in the league, but it's simply a lack of deeper passes causing the decline. He's getting more chances, and he'll eventually break something.

It's not as if he's not contributing; a reduction in targets would be a bit more alarming through seven games. You can't fault a guy for wanting to make plays. His time will come; it's not as if defenses plan their scheme around preventing him from covering underneath routes, and his 36 catches are nothing to scoff either. The issue is the Steelers have three receivers - Wallace, Antonio Brown (40) and Heath Miller (35) - in the top 30 in receptions.
    And if he was going to have a breakout game, this one would be a good option. Not only is it huge in terms of the overall direction of the team, but the Giants allow 293.4 passing yards per game - fifth-highest in the league.

They will struggle to cover the Steelers' trio of receivers, and maybe they'll even mix in a deep pass. If not, Wallace can be content with catching seven passes and maybe breaking a tackle for a big gain.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Sorry Ruthless but this post makes absolutely no sense at all. Are you suggesting Wallace should sign his next contract in the $3.5 mill per year range? LOL...
    I said nothing of the sort (not sure where you came up with that, frankly).

All that I'm saying is that Wallace seems to be held an invisible standard as if we were paying him $11 million this year (we are not, we are actually paying him $2.7 million) and Antonio Brown isn't scrutinized nearly as much for his performance (even though he actually just pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check from us). That's more than triple what Wallace is making this year, and nearly double what Wallace has made for his entire 4 year NFL career.

If Wallace and Brown have pretty much the same stats this year (only 4 catches and 21 yards separate them, except that Wallace has 4 TD catches, and Brown has 1 TD catch...which is actually should be a fumble recovery TD since he fumbled before he crossed the goal line and recovered his own fumble in the end zone), shouldn't Steeler fans expect more from the guy we are actually paying more for this season?

Mike Wallace made $1.7 million over 3 seasons on his 3rd round rookie deal, and now makes $2.7 million for this season, meaning that he has earned $4.4 million in 4 NFL seasons. For comparison, the craptastic Will Allen is currently playing for us on a $4.4 million, 3 year contract. Let's see...a guy who has 207 catches for 3665 yards and 28 TD's in 55 NFL games is making THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY IN FOUR YEARS that a backup safety and special teams player is making IN THREE YEARS. Yeah, that's tremendous. Any wonder why the dude feels that he deserves a decent payday finally?

As a rookie he made $560K and had 39 catches for 756 yards and 6 TD's. Talk about value!

In year 2, he made $560K and had 60 catches for 1257 yards and 10 TD's. What a steal!

In year 3, he made $560K and had 72 catches for 1193 yards and 8 TD's. Amazing deal!

In year 4, he made $2.7M and has 36 catches for 459 yards and 4 TD's in 7 games so far. Still a bargain!

The fact is that Wallace has been OBSCENELY UNDERPAID for FOUR STRAIGHT SEASONS.

Compare that to Antonio Brown. As a 6th round pick, he made less on his rookie contract compared to Wallace's rookie money as a 3rd rounder (Brown's 3 year rookie deal was for $1.288 million compared to Wallace's 3 year, $1.7 million rookie deal).

As a rookie he made $430K and had 16 catches for 167 yards and 0 TD's. Pretty much the production that you would expect for a rookie making $430K...nothing particularly special.

In year 2, he made $430K and had 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's (plus over 1000 yards on returns as well). His break-out season was a tremendous value for us on par with Wallace's bargain prices above.

In year 3, he pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check and has 40 catches for 480 yards and 1 TD in 7 games so far. He's not underperforming or outperforming his current deal...this is about what you would expect for a guy you just gave $8.5 million guaranteed.

While Wallace has performed WAY BETTER THAN HIS PAY GRADE WOULD INDICATE for ALL FOUR of his NFL seasons, Antonio Brown has only performed way better than his pay grade would indicate in 1 out of 3 of his NFL seasons. He low-level stats as a rookie were commensurate with his low-level rookie contract, and his current solid stats this season are commensurate with the solid NFL contract he just signed...he performed as expected in years 1 & 3 when compared to his pay at the time...he only outperformed his contract during year two, while Wallace has clearly outperformed his contract during all four of his NFL seasons.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wallace held out, and in the court of public opinion that makes him a jerk. Doesn't matter what the numbers say, a guy making significantly less than Wallace is naturally going to dislike a guy whining about his multi million dollar contract.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Is Mikey getting a little bit of an attitude? It seems to me like everyone is flourishing in Haley's offense.
    Wallace is used to being a big play wideout, so Haley's offense requires a bit of an adjustment for him (just like it does for Ben who is used to being a gunslinger that airs it out). Even if a certain degree of change may be better off for everyone in the long run, any sort of fundamental change to what you are used to is bound to be met with a certain degree of natural frustration during the adjustment period (granted, the beginning of Wallace's adjustment period was delayed compared to the rest of his offensive teammates...by his own doing). But he is on pace for more catches than he has ever had in a season before, and he is on par for his typical TD production per season...it's just that the yardage is down because the vast majority of the balls thrown in the Haley offense are currently in the short-to-intermediate range (for now...at least until we get our run game going to the point that it results in the opportunity for effective play-action long passes that Ben & Wallace were born for). I'm sure it hurts, though, that he is (reportedly) looking for Vincent Jackson money, and the Bucs are now airing it out like the Steelers used to (VJax has a career high 21.6 yards per catch average this season). He's a big play money receiver, who is currently showing that he is more than just a one-trick deep pony, but he still longs for the excitement that a long bomb TD catch provides, I'm sure.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

great analysis ruthless, but it will fall on deaf ears for the wallace detractors.

their animosity for wallace is blind.

shame on them for not realizing what a tremendous bargain we have enjoyed in mike wallace and then expecting him to continue playing for below his market value to satisfy their ego and so they can puff their chests out and say "boy, we sure showed him!"

one is even enjoying seeing him being sent across the middle, possibly in hope of wallace being injured. I find it totally pathetic the way some fans have treated mike wallace here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Wallace held out, and in the court of public opinion that makes him a jerk. Doesn't matter what the numbers say, a guy making significantly less than Wallace is naturally going to dislike a guy whining about his multi million dollar contract.

It is tough for the average Joe to be fighting to make a living while a player, ( and just not Wallace ) is making millions and it's not enough for said player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks for running the numbers Ruthless. That's a solid argument IMO. For all the hulaballo, Wallace hasn't been a public nuisance or anything. He's just done his thing on the field with minimal talking in the press. I'm not sure what more could realistically be asked of the guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    It is tough for the average Joe to be fighting to make a living while a player, ( and just not Wallace ) is making millions and it's not enough for said player.
    IMO, "average Joe" needs to suck it up and quit being so covetous.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

when average joe can do what mike wallace can do, then I might care what he thinks.

might.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I said nothing of the sort (not sure where you came up with that, frankly).

All that I'm saying is that Wallace seems to be held an invisible standard as if we were paying him $11 million this year (we are not, we are actually paying him $2.7 million) and Antonio Brown isn't scrutinized nearly as much for his performance (even though he actually just pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check from us). That's more than triple what Wallace is making this year, and nearly double what Wallace has made for his entire 4 year NFL career.

If Wallace and Brown have pretty much the same stats this year (only 4 catches and 21 yards separate them, except that Wallace has 4 TD catches, and Brown has 1 TD catch...which is actually should be a fumble recovery TD since he fumbled before he crossed the goal line and recovered his own fumble in the end zone), shouldn't Steeler fans expect more from the guy we are actually paying more for this season?

Mike Wallace made $1.7 million over 3 seasons on his 3rd round rookie deal, and now makes $2.7 million for this season, meaning that he has earned $4.4 million in 4 NFL seasons. For comparison, the craptastic Will Allen is currently playing for us on a $4.4 million, 3 year contract. Let's see...a guy who has 207 catches for 3665 yards and 28 TD's in 55 NFL games is making THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY IN FOUR YEARS that a backup safety and special teams player is making IN THREE YEARS. Yeah, that's tremendous. Any wonder why the dude feels that he deserves a decent payday finally?

As a rookie he made $560K and had 39 catches for 756 yards and 6 TD's. Talk about value!

In year 2, he made $560K and had 60 catches for 1257 yards and 10 TD's. What a steal!

In year 3, he made $560K and had 72 catches for 1193 yards and 8 TD's. Amazing deal!

In year 4, he made $2.7M and has 36 catches for 459 yards and 4 TD's in 7 games so far. Still a bargain!

The fact is that Wallace has been OBSCENELY UNDERPAID for FOUR STRAIGHT SEASONS.

Compare that to Antonio Brown. As a 6th round pick, he made less on his rookie contract compared to Wallace's rookie money as a 3rd rounder (Brown's 3 year rookie deal was for $1.288 million compared to Wallace's 3 year, $1.7 million rookie deal).

As a rookie he made $430K and had 16 catches for 167 yards and 0 TD's. Pretty much the production that you would expect for a rookie making $430K...nothing particularly special.

In year 2, he made $430K and had 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's (plus over 1000 yards on returns as well). His break-out season was a tremendous value for us on par with Wallace's bargain prices above.

In year 3, he pocketed an $8.5 million signing bonus check and has 40 catches for 480 yards and 1 TD in 7 games so far. He's not underperforming or outperforming his current deal...this is about what you would expect for a guy you just gave $8.5 million guaranteed.

While Wallace has performed WAY BETTER THAN HIS PAY GRADE WOULD INDICATE for ALL FOUR of his NFL seasons, Antonio Brown has only performed way better than his pay grade would indicate in 1 out of 3 of his NFL seasons. He low-level stats as a rookie were commensurate with his low-level rookie contract, and his current solid stats this season are commensurate with the solid NFL contract he just signed...he performed as expected in years 1 & 3 when compared to his pay at the time...he only outperformed his contract during year two, while Wallace has clearly outperformed his contract during all four of his NFL seasons.

And couldn't Wallace be playing for $8.5 to $9M right now and have millions in a bonus in the bank? Wasn't that HIS choice not to accept that money. I agree he is underpaid, but didn't Mike Wallace put Mike Wallace in that position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"