Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why we may not make the playoffs...

Backup

User Info Menu

Why we may not make the playoffs...

Yea...I love um, but I try not to get my hopes up also. This team has put a SB or bust mentality on my head each year.
    Sunday was a good game, don't get me wrong. My favorite part was when we stopped them on 3rd and 1 on first series. I was like yes, Def of old is back! Then I started seeing same old stuff. Open receivers, bad play from our Def line and no qb pressure. All this to a lessoned degree though which was enouraging. Also encouraging is to know we played decent D without Polamalu.
    I just think we need better play from our D-Line, some turnovers would be nice and a sack or two. 1 sack in the past 2 games and I believe 1 turnover??? This will have to change to make a dent in the playoffs this year. I have seen Hampton, Keisel and Heyward make 2-3 plays combined. Hood maybe 3 total. That with no int for DB'S is a reoccuring theme. Thoughts?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Yea...I love um, but I try not to get my hopes up also. This team has put a SB or bust mentality on my head each year.
    Sunday was a good game, don't get me wrong. My favorite part was when we stopped them on 3rd and 1 on first series. I was like yes, Def of old is back! Then I started seeing same old stuff. Open receivers, bad play from our Def line and no qb pressure. All this to a lessoned degree though which was enouraging. Also encouraging is to know we played decent D without Polamalu.
    I just think we need better play from our D-Line, some turnovers would be nice and a sack or two. 1 sack in the past 2 games and I believe 1 turnover??? This will have to change to make a dent in the playoffs this year. I have seen Hampton, Keisel and Heyward make 2-3 plays combined. Hood maybe 3 total. That with no int for DB'S is a reoccuring theme. Thoughts?
    I agree that some of what we are seeing from the D is still worrisome, but I think it is balanced out by the steps we are seeing from the offense. At this point in the season, being in the thick of the playoff hunt, and with most of the remaining games at home...I feel pretty good about making the playoffs. Just get in, after that it's a whole new ball game and anything can happen.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think our D wanted to blitz or get too much pressure on RGIII... his stats are better when teams blitz. I think the job was to contain him and not let him use his legs to beat us. The open TE's are a concern but that's going to happen from time to time when you have a world class sprinter at QB. The LB's are peaking in the backfield, they ran a lot of nice play action, zone reads and fake reverse plays.

I think we did a great job on him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm much more encouraged after this game, than any so far. They looked good against Cincinnati and took it up another notch again against Washington. I thought the playcalling on both sides of the ball was excellent and the effort was excellent. Hopefully, this OL can stay intact the way it is because it is playing very well.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the D had a LOT of help yesterday from the Skins' WRs. 10 drops is beyond ridiculous, including taking poiunts off the board. That is a much, much different game if RG III had any help at all. Love the win, but still concerned.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we win the Super Bowl this year it will be because of Haley's offense and not our defense. As a life long Steeler fan who loves a dominating defense that is hard to type.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

The Defense is not Great, but its getting better.. We Tackled the ball, and a few of those drops were actually good defensive plays (Defender getting a hand in) and If I am correct the 2 Tds dropped were on the same drive.. That offense gave the Giants fits and the Giants can easily play for the trophy again this year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

PFF said 7 drops...still a ton, but a more realistic number...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    PFF said 7 drops...still a ton, but a more realistic number...
    PFF is full of sh*t. CBS Sports, Fox Sports, CNN and Coach Shanahan himself ALL said 10. Just watching let me know it was 10 as well. Worst performance by a WR crew by any team all year.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    PFF is full of sh*t. CBS Sports, Fox Sports, CNN and Coach Shanahan himself ALL said 10. Just watching let me know it was 10 as well. Worst performance by a WR crew by any team all year.
    I disagree...it's just a way to take credit away from the Steelers for a good defensive performance against the golden boy...