Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I thought ol' Wicker Basket was hopelessly senile and should have retired years ago?

Backup

User Info Menu

Ton of good points here, but not sure a hard stance either way is all that beneficial from a coaches perspective.

One could use the RB example both ways. Not that it's wrong, but it all needs taken with the proper perspective....glass half full/glass half empty. Any Defensive coach looking to make his unit more productive can't ignore the drops. Guys were simply wide open. Weather they dropped the pass or caught it is moot for locating areas of development.....strengths vs. weaknesses, etc.. Any future OC game planning with film from the Redskins game will see what worked and what didn't work. How would you count a dropped pass play? Something to consider running? I say absolutely.

An offensive game plan was able to exploit a weakness.....it happens, but can we stop it next week? That is the question DL is asking himself, and asking his D coaches. Don't fool yourself....he's asking it.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Talking about the drops as to why the defense played well is like eliminating the 45 yard run from a running back and using only the other carriers to prove a back didn't really have a good game. Drops, unforced or otherwise are part of an entire game and are what they are. Did the defense cause them? Maybe Were some just bad plays? Yes Did the Steelers make any bad plays? Yes, an unnecessary block in the back took 7 points off the board. It's a game played for 60 minutes and things will happen, some good and some bad, the defense played well, trying to turn it into something it isn't foolish, IMO.

Should've, could've and would've can change the outcome of every game, but the reality is that none of it happened. Enjoy the win and hope for another great effort this weekend against the Giants.

Oh, and to stay on topic, D1ck Lebeau has forgotten more about coaching a defense in the NFL than anyone on this board knows, just sayin.

Pappy
    All I'm saying is that I saw a lot of open Washington receivers. The Redskins couldn't capitalize on that...but I suspect a lot of other teams in the NFL would.
    I'm not yet sold on this version of the Steel Curtain D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    All I'm saying is that I saw a lot of open Washington receivers. The Redskins couldn't capitalize on that...but I suspect a lot of other teams in the NFL would.
    As I said, with only three DL and the leads we give up we can't be a "Steel Curtain," Right now we are more an aluminum mini-blind!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Get our starting safeties out there and there will be less open guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not sold on them either, my only point is that in general the past two games the defense has played well. Is it because the other team made mistakes? Quite likely -- Is any of it because the Steelers were hitting hard and meeting the receiver and the ball simultaneously? Quite likely --

In general the things that have ailed the defense all year were mitigated in the past two games to the point that the defense has looked good. I'm not sold on the defense and would rather Ben have the ball at the end of the game with a lead or trailing. I've thought that way even when the defense was top notch. I've had more faith in Ben than I have the defense regardless of the year.

Drops happen, catches happen, blocks in the back haoppen it's all part of the game. When a team executes without error you get a blowout, when they don't you get close games.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No doubt you are right, but how do you know he hasn't forgotten all the good stuff that works? Like how to hold onto a 4th Quarter lead! Like how to be aggressive and generate sacks and turnovers! You typically don't get to pick and choose what you forget!
    I don't know what he forgot (if anything) and what he remembers, but since the defense has been playing better and really weren't that horrible the first 4 games I have to lean towards D1ck Lebeau still understanding how to run an NFL quality defense.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Don't worry, he will not blitz Manning at all and let him pick us apart. It didn't surprise me about RG3 , because he always play rookies like that but it's the elite QB's he is afraid of. Talk to me after this weeks game!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

On a side note, did anyone see Keith Butler coaching up the whole defense. It was either during the game or on the pre game show.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Don't worry, he will not blitz Manning at all and let him pick us apart. It didn't surprise me about RG3 , because he always play rookies like that but it's the elite QB's he is afraid of. Talk to me after this weeks game!
    How did he play Brady last year?

Our D has it's ups and downs. Some of the downs are dictated by the execution of the players available at the time, as much as Lebeau's scheme.

Starter

User Info Menu

I wish Ike Taylor could learn from Ike Thomas and play like him every week.