Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: I thought ol' Wicker Basket was hopelessly senile and should have retired years ago?

  1. #11
    I'm not calling for Lebeau's head....but I certainly wouldn't discount the fact that there were several wide open targets who conveniently dropped the ball. Opinions will vary on schematics, personnel, coaching, pressure up front, etc.......I blame all of the above to a varying degree.

    Ataboys for Lebeau and the entire D for playing with some passion though.

  2. #12
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    1,875
    his completion percentage was over 70% coming into this game, but we held him to 47% yesterday
    This is a bit disingenuous without mentioning 10 dropped balls, ALL of them catchable. Even if we only add 7 out of 10 it bumps that up to 68%, right near his average. That wasn't the Steelers "holding" them. Guys were consistently wide open all over the field yesterday. They did do an excellent job of containing him in the run.

    Love getting the W any way you can but lets not go heaping a ton of praise where it doesn't belong. The Steelers were very lucky the Skins' WRs acted as if the balls were dipped in grease.

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,436
    As I stated in another post, at least 4 of those "drops" were cases of our defender physically separating the ball from the receiver. Every team has 2 or 3 genuine drops per game (just as we did again yesterday), so you can't go back and play the "what if" game with those potential catches. The defense also deserves credit for renting space in the heads of those receivers by delivering a bunch of well-timed slobber-knockers.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    As I stated in another post, at least 4 of those "drops" were cases of our defender physically separating the ball from the receiver. Every team has 2 or 3 genuine drops per game (just as we did again yesterday)
    I will follow you on this point again in another thread Fla. As you pointed out, several of the "drops" were not actually drops. Furthermore, this was a game played in wet, imperfect conditions. These are the kinds of games you get in Pittsburgh, and one of the reasons why I always say that you can't compare numbers between guys like Rivers, Brees, and Manning vs. guys like Ben, Brady, and Favre when he was playing in Green Bay. Both sides have drops, and it is part of the game - moreso in the rain or cold.

    And finally, at least one of the drops occurred on their TD drive. So, I don't think that you can say that that one drop cost them anything.

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,835
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    10 drops by Redskin receivers helped the cause this weekend. Nice assist by the rain.

    I think Lebeau is still Lebeau but doesn't have the guys to get consistent QB pressure without blitzing and that's the crux of his problem. If we can get Harrison and Troy healthy by year end, we can get a lot better.

    It's nice seeing some guys get more reps now. It could pay off down the line. It was nice seeing us do well without Troy or Clark. Nice game by Allen/Mundy.
    Well stated. The best defenders on the field yesterday were the Redskins' receivers. Two easy TDs dropped.

    We have to improve our pass rush and get our Safeties healthy. Not sure Harrison can get there this year. He doesn't seem to have any explosion.

    Many want to characterize this as a personal like or dislike for Ol' Coach leBeau. That has never been the case. The issue the supporters and detractors have comes down to an issue of willingness to make changes and adjust. Some think he never needs to and some think he should have already. There is a case to be made on both sides.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-29-2012 at 04:57 PM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

    2014 Draft

    1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

  6. #16
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,378
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This is a bit disingenuous without mentioning 10 dropped balls, ALL of them catchable. Even if we only add 7 out of 10 it bumps that up to 68%, right near his average. That wasn't the Steelers "holding" them. Guys were consistently wide open all over the field yesterday. They did do an excellent job of containing him in the run.

    Love getting the W any way you can but lets not go heaping a ton of praise where it doesn't belong. The Steelers were very lucky the Skins' WRs acted as if the balls were dipped in grease.
    The drops RGIII had to deal with yesterday weren't nearly as egregious as the drops Ben had to deal with in Cincy the week before (and Ben still completed 73% of his passes that day in spite of all of those drops).


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  7. #17
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Cincy has one WR and Ike is best when locked on one man. He struggles in zone. And yes, Washington WR's dropped 2 TD's and a bunch of other passes.
    1) Ike Thomas sucks in man and zone. Sucks is harsh, but don't get it twisted. In the case of AJ Green, it is inexplicable why he didn't get fed the ball two weeks ago. Ike Thomas' coverage had very little to do with it.

    2) "Ten drops" by the Redskins is being dramatic. Of course, I watched the game like you all. At least one of the drops was tipped before it got to the WR. It wasn't TEN drops.

  8. #18
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The drops RGIII had to deal with yesterday weren't nearly as egregious as the drops Ben had to deal with in Cincy the week before (and Ben still completed 73% of his passes that day in spite of all of those drops).
    Thats not what you said though. If you want to give credit that's undeserved feel free but watching the game and i know different, as does the entire sporting world. There were continuous drops that had nothing to do with the Steelers secondary. Wide open guys dropped passes right in their hands. That's not the Steelers holding RG in check. That's crappy play by the skins.

  9. #19
    I think it was 8 drops and they shouldn't be discounted. One was a for sure TD, not defended.....one would have been a TD but it was defended prior to finding the hands of the intended target. Wouldn't even count that one. Some others were for first downs and or drive killers.

  10. #20
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

    1) Ike Thomas sucks in man and zone. Sucks is harsh, but don't get it twisted. In the case of AJ Green, it is inexplicable why he didn't get fed the ball two weeks ago. Ike Thomas' coverage had very little to do with it.
    the same could be said for Ike Taylor...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •