Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Finally Happened

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's Finally Happened

I'm going to say it. The Steelers have become an offensive team. We are no longer counting on our defense to save our bacon. We have to count on the offense ... and I think they can handle the pressure.

I have to say I love the way Haley has us controlling the ball and methodically moving down the field. We seem to get better at it week after week and I think Ben is really starting to have fun running it. It was great to see them score touchdowns this week instead of FG after FG. The offensive line looks like it is starting to come together ... putting together two good weeks in a row. Dwyer is turning into the back people thought he was going to be when he was drafted. When Mendy and Redman both get healthy we are going to be deep in that position. We are already deep in the receiver position.

Now on to the defense. It's becoming painfully obvious that we are lacking some talent on defense. Sure they made some plays today, actually made quite a few against a really good QB, but if the Deadskin receivers learn how to hold on to the ball this is a different game. I also think our offense controlling the ball for long stretches took away any rhythm the skins tried to get into. The skins gouged the defense for big chunks at a time in the run game. They would have in the passing game except for the dropped passes.

None of this is to say that our defense is horrible. I'm just saying that we can't count on them to carry the load like we used to. We are counting on the offense to do that now. How does that feel Steeler Nation? To me it's kind of weird.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

At least 4 of those "drops" were plays where the defensive player separated the receiver from the ball. The defense didn't have a lot of splash plays today, but their coverage was solid, they applied constant pressure, and they contained the previously uncontainable RGIII.

Great job on both sides of the ball. If it wasn't for yet another special teams penalty that nullified a return TD, it would have been a total team win.

Legend

User Info Menu

I absolutely loved the fake screen and then Heath went up the sideline

Legend

User Info Menu

The whole league is going to offense winning games. A stout defense gets you flags.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm going to say it. The Steelers have become an offensive team. We are no longer counting on our defense to save our bacon. We have to count on the offense ... and I think they can handle the pressure.

I have to say I love the way Haley has us controlling the ball and methodically moving down the field. We seem to get better at it week after week and I think Ben is really starting to have fun running it. It was great to see them score touchdowns this week instead of FG after FG. The offensive line looks like it is starting to come together ... putting together two good weeks in a row. Dwyer is turning into the back people thought he was going to be when he was drafted. When Mendy and Redman both get healthy we are going to be deep in that position. We are already deep in the receiver position.

Now on to the defense. It's becoming painfully obvious that we are lacking some talent on defense. Sure they made some plays today, actually made quite a few against a really good QB, but if the Deadskin receivers learn how to hold on to the ball this is a different game. I also think our offense controlling the ball for long stretches took away any rhythm the skins tried to get into. The skins gouged the defense for big chunks at a time in the run game. They would have in the passing game except for the dropped passes.

None of this is to say that our defense is horrible. I'm just saying that we can't count on them to carry the load like we used to. We are counting on the offense to do that now. How does that feel Steeler Nation? To me it's kind of weird.
    Great points ikestops85. Let's not forget that one of the leagues best players has been on the sideline for the Steelers the past couple of games in number 43. He comes back healthy and he gives a boost to the talent level on that side of the ball.

Also another one of the leagues best players #92 is just getting healthy. Compare his play last week to this week and you can see he is got a lot better. I can see that as a trend for the remainder of the season.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    At least 4 of those "drops" were plays where the defensive player separated the receiver from the ball.
    $$$$

You can actually hear a distinct difference when our games are covered by Fox. Being the carrier of NFC games, they completely surround their coverage towards their team. I am going to listen for it next week when CBS covers our game with the Giants. The fact that we were stuck listening to Billick as well was painful.

There was one play in which Lewis (who had another solid game BTW) reached in and stripped the ball out of the receivers hands before he could secure the catch. Billick doesn't even mention the great defensive play and instead says something like "aaaaah....we'll call that a drop."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    $$$$
    There was one play in which Lewis (who had another solid game BTW) reached in and stripped the ball out of the receivers hands before he could secure the catch. Billick doesn't even mention the great defensive play and instead says something like "aaaaah....we'll call that a drop."
    I heard him say that also and thought . Lewis made a great play on the ball. I must say Lewis is really starting to impress me with his coverage.

Not all of those reported were flat out drops but enough of them were that the Redskins could have made it very uncomfortable for us if they hung on to them.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of the LB's in coverage.. Harrison was burned a few times and a few other LB's were out of position... this could haunt us in the future if we don't get it corrected.

The offense... WOW!!! The offense is great... anyone notice how many injuries we had on the OL last game? NONE... and you know why? It's because Marcus Gilbert wasn't playing. Once we get an OL that isn't shuffling every 5 plays we will see this running game and passing game really take off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm not a fan of the LB's in coverage.. Harrison was burned a few times and a few other LB's were out of position... this could haunt us in the future if we don't get it corrected.

The offense... WOW!!! The offense is great... anyone notice how many injuries we had on the OL last game? NONE... and you know why? It's because Marcus Gilbert wasn't playing. Once we get an OL that isn't shuffling every 5 plays we will see this running game and passing game really take off.
    Can it be that the coaching staff will hesitate to put Gilbert back in when healthy? To singlehandedly cause so many injuries has to be even worse than those offenders on ST getting the penalties. I just wonder whether Gilbert really has the right stuff to play tackle in the NFL??

Backup

User Info Menu

Marcus Gilbert seems to have too high a center of gravity, so he keeps getting knocked over.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.