Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a great time for my first Steeler Game at Heinz Field

Backup

User Info Menu

Had a great time for my first Steeler Game at Heinz Field

What a great stadium. My girlfriend and I had a blast and it was her first time as well. Great game by Steeler nation today. I wanna hear anyones first experience at Heinz Field!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

I went to the Steelers/Browns game at Heinz Field in 2007. I was living in Valdosta, GA at the time attending college, and I gave an old friend of mine in Pittsburgh a call one day because I hadn't heard from him in a while. He told me that he had two tickets to that game and asked me if I wanted to go, so after a few last-minute arrangements, I hit the road for Pittsburgh around noon on Friday after all my classes were done for the day, and I ended up in Pittsburgh just before sunrise on Saturday.

After hanging out with my friend all weekend, we went to the game on Sunday, and the Steelers fell behind 21-6 in the second quarter. The stadium was rocking, and even the Browns fan and his son in the row behind me were treated OK. In the third quarter, we got a bucket of chicken wings from Quaker Steak & Lube, and they were the best wings I'd ever had. (Whatever wasn't eaten I got to save for the road.) We missed Roethlisberger's 30-yard TD run as we walked out of the Great Hall and up into the rotunda, but we heard the crescendo of cheers the whole time. We did see Joshua Cribbs take the kickoff 100 yards to the house, though. Thankfully, once we got back to our seats, we saw Roethlisberger lead the game-winning TD drive, and the Browns' final FG attempt fall short. Game over, Steelers won.

Since I had to be back in Valdosta by 9AM on Monday, I had to leave Pittsburgh immediately after the game. I did an overnight drive, taking three short naps on the way back down so I didn't fall asleep at the wheel. I'd never seen I-85 in North Carolina and South Carolina as deserted as it was. Through most of South Carolina, I was literally the only car on the highway. By the time I got to I-75, the sky was beginning to brighten, and I arrived back in Valdosta with five minutes left to spare, parked illegally and got to class on time, still wearing my Steelers jersey and decorations.

It was a whirlwind of a weekend, but it was full of great memories that I'll remember forever.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

good for you, I'm really happy for and your gf that you were able to have such a wonderful first experience watching the Steelers not only play well but also win!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

First game here was in the 1994 AFC Division Playoff vs. the CLOWNS (who weren't Clowns that year).
    Steelers spanked them. Use to go down every year back in the day...especially to Playoff games.
    Pittsburgh is about 6 hrs. from me (up in Western NY)

Oh yeah...Todd, is ur GF hot??? Shawn wants to know.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

We ABSOLUTELY LOVE Pittsburgh!! We went to the game on Oct. 28th against Washington. I was like a kid in a candy store I never stopped smiling!! We stayed Downtown at the Doubletree and took the Free subway right to the stadium. After the game there is quite the line for the subway but it went fast and people were very friendly in line!! Can't wait til next time!!
    [URL="http://plagiarismdetector.net/"]http://www.plagiarismdetector.net [/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

A first game at Heinz Field is a rite of passage. It's almost a religious experience that all fans should enjoy.

My first time was a preseason game. And I'd recommend preseason for any long time Steelers fans because you can truly enjoy the stadium without the distraction of a game. then go back for a game and enjoy the game at a later date.

i can't remember the year, but it was a preseason game against Miami and there was a thunderstorm that delayed the game which started at 8 pm. they had everyone come inside because of the lightning, but i snuck out into the stands by myself. coolest experience of my life. i was all alone and had the stadium to myself. i was king of the world for that moment. and the color of the sky was unreal. It was like I was in a cartoon or a Quentin Tarantino flick. it was an almost spiritual moment for me. and i thought to myself, if i die and go to heaven, this will be it. heinz field will be my home.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    A first game at Heinz Field is a rite of passage. It's almost a religious experience that all fans should enjoy.

My first time was a preseason game. And I'd recommend preseason for any long time Steelers fans because you can truly enjoy the stadium without the distraction of a game. then go back for a game and enjoy the game at a later date.

i can't remember the year, but it was a preseason game against Miami and there was a thunderstorm that delayed the game which started at 8 pm. they had everyone come inside because of the lightning, but i snuck out into the stands by myself. coolest experience of my life. i was all alone and had the stadium to myself. i was king of the world for that moment. and the color of the sky was unreal. It was like I was in a cartoon or a Quentin Tarantino flick. it was an almost spiritual moment for me. and i thought to myself, if i die and go to heaven, this will be it. heinz field will be my home.
    My first game at 3 Rivers was the Steelers vs Browns AFC Divisional Game in 1995 (1994 season). Boy was I spoiled
    My first game at Heinz was Steelers vs. Ravens AFC Divsional Game two years ago. Was my kids first ever game. I think i set the bar too high for him right off the start.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    My first game at 3 Rivers was the Steelers vs Browns AFC Divisional Game in 1995 (1994 season). Boy was I spoiled
    My first game at Heinz was Steelers vs. Ravens AFC Divsional Game two years ago. Was my kids first ever game. I think i set the bar too high for him right off the start.
    The only thing better would be a SuperBowl in Pittsburgh. Never gonna happen though.

I never got to go to Steelers games at TRS. Couldn't afford it. Won tickets one time in the 80s and saw a regular season game vs the Broncos. In my head, TRS was a place for baseball. I saw Barry Bonds hit an inside the park homer back in the pre roids days when he was skinny as a rail. I also remember as a kid wanting to go when the Pirates played the Expos.

I was fascinated by the Expos for some reason. I thought they were European or something. I never quite grasped there's a French province in Canada. I also like their logo with the ELB and I never realized until I was older that there was no L in their logo. It was just a fancy M with an E and B in it and it stood for Expos de Montréal Baseball. It was an E M B.

As an adult, Montreal is one of my favorite cities outside of Pittsburgh.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The only thing better would be a SuperBowl in Pittsburgh. Never gonna happen though.

I never got to go to Steelers games at TRS. Couldn't afford it. Won tickets one time in the 80s and saw a regular season game vs the Broncos. In my head, TRS was a place for baseball. I saw Barry Bonds hit an inside the park homer back in the pre roids days when he was skinny as a rail. I also remember as a kid wanting to go when the Pirates played the Expos.

I was fascinated by the Expos for some reason. I thought they were European or something. I never quite grasped there's a French province in Canada. I also like their logo with the ELB and I never realized until I was older that there was no L in their logo. It was just a fancy M with an E and B in it and it stood for Expos de Montréal Baseball. It was an E M B.

As an adult, Montreal is one of my favorite cities outside of Pittsburgh.
    Superbowls are overrated...now AFC Championships games are awesome. Went to the COLTS AFC CHamp game before Superbowl XXX and then when we lost to DENVER in 1998.

I've heard good things about Montreal from a friend

Rookie

User Info Menu

My first game at 3R was an October 1990 game vs. the Chargers...the Steelers won handily and I remember seeing Dwayne Woodruff get a long INT return (no TD, though)...

My next game was the regular season Browns game in 1994...it was an excellent snowy day in December...Barry Foster pounded them for 100+ yards and Yancey burned them on a long pass play...

My first game at Heinz was the epic Drew Brees/Tommy Maddox tilt against the Chargers in 2003...okay, it wasn't epic...neither team was very good that year...but, I do recall DeShea Townsend returning a pick 6 after FINALLY having a chance at the starting job...

I've been to a few games at Heinz...the 2005 Halloween Monday night game vs. Baltimore, for example...

It's always a great time...

BTW, Montreal is fantastic as well...