Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Props to lloydroid

Backup

User Info Menu

If you saw the guy run at Ga tech it was pretty easy to see his potential, you didn't have to be an NFL scout to see he could play if he kept his priorities straight. That being said, he will be a nice complement to Mendenhall when he returns and takes back his spot as the starter. It will also allow us to get rid of Mendenhall if he continues being a china doll. He might even have the potential to be the Bettis replacement we've all been looking for. But 2 games showing his potential does not a career make...but this is what I thought we'd get when we drafted him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    If you saw the guy run at Ga tech it was pretty easy to see his potential, you didn't have to be an NFL scout to see he could play if he kept his priorities straight. That being said, he will be a nice complement to Mendenhall when he returns and takes back his spot as the starter. It will also allow us to get rid of Mendenhall if he continues being a china doll. He might even have the potential to be the Bettis replacement we've all been looking for. But 2 games showing his potential does not a career make...but this is what I thought we'd get when we drafted him.
    Seeing a guy run in college only show "potential" ...I've seen a lot of flops in the NFL dominate in college.

DWYER runs way differently now than the last few years. He always reminded me of RICHARD HUNTLEY but now he is showing power and balance ...it's funny watching him get his pads low and DB's bouncing off him.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Props! Props to lloydroid, props to Dwyer, and props to Mike Adams who has been a refreshing addition to the line (in run blocking at least).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    <----smarter than LloydDroid. Had DWYER as his starting RB today.
    so did I...lol

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Hats off to ya lloydroid. You had him pegged and I was wrong about him. I'll tip one back with you.
    Thanks Ike. Appreciate that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Seeing a guy run in college only show "potential" ...I've seen a lot of flops in the NFL dominate in college.

DWYER runs way differently now than the last few years. He always reminded me of RICHARD HUNTLEY but now he is showing power and balance ...it's funny watching him get his pads low and DB's bouncing off him.
    I totally disagree. He totally ran just like this in college. And I saw flashes of this every since he was on the team. The only reason he didn't earn more playing time previous to this year:

1.) He would come in super out of shape to camp.
    2.) We didn't lose the 1st and 2nd string backs to injury previous to now, giving him a shot.

He has always run like this, even in college. Now you watch this, from his college days, and tell me how his style was any different, other than being lighter. He lowered his head all the time. I have no idea what you are talking about.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    Actually, he was projected to be a fairly high pick, until he got all fat and showed real discipline problems. I think he even showed up at the combines, looking totally sloppy and fat. That took him off everyone's draft board. Pgh took a flier on him, and it is just now paying off, but paying off pretty big. 2 games does not a career make. Sure, but consider this is the first time a Pgh back has had 2 consecutive 100 yard games since 2008 with Willie Parker. That tells me Mendenhall has mostly been FAIL if he has NEVER put back to back 100 yard games together. JD is now on track. He will keep these type of games up, now that he is in a groove. Watch and see.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

<----smarter than LloydDroid. Had DWYER as his starting RB today.
    Oh, you don't get it. If he was still on my roster, I'd have started him the last 2 week; problem was, I cut him off my roster weeks ago. How long has he been on your roster, Sid? I really doubt you had him on your roster all along. Tell me you did. I cut him when it looked like all he could do was fall down when he got the ball. And my the time it looked like he might have something to offer, I was too far down on the waiver wire to get him and another Steeler fan in my league nabbed him just 2 weeks ago. I should have held on to him, but he was showing no signs of production when I dropped him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'll give credit where credit's due--lloydroid definitely had more faith than most of us, and called this early. My concern was never his talent... it has always been his professionalism and sense of urgency. As long as he is healthy and focused, he can shine. But we will know a lot more, when he has to face adversity and challenge (i.e. injuries, the team relying on him, possibly a big contract).

Look at Cam Newton... the guy is a physical beast. And after last year, everyone was touting him as god's gift. BUT what we ALL forgot was his immaturity, and it's manifesting itself as defenses have adjusted to him, as people are verbally criticizing him, etc. He pouts, he blames.
    First of all, JD has already faced injury; you can be rest assured of that. A major injury? No. But he has faced injury already. No NFL running back who rushes for 100 yards a game goes unscathed. Bettis used to say it took him like an hour, just to get out of bed on Mondays. Secondly, JD was young coming into the league. He was only 20, wasn't he? A 20-year-old with that much talent, having that much success, had to learn that you can't just "show up" in the NFL and succeed. You have to work. You have to control your eating, etc. (if you tend to put on the lbs). Thirdly, Cam is just now facing that you "can't just show up" and succeed in the NFL. I predict by next year he will figure this out, and do what is needed to bounce back. Cam is just drowning right now. He is young. He most likely will mature (although he could go the route of Jamarcus Russell but I doubt it).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    He has always run like this, even in college.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM[/URL]

I agree with you on this.

the reason why I was skeptical is because Ga Tech ran a gimmick offense and I wasn't sure that Dwyer had the internal motivation to keep himself in proper football shape.

I'm glad he has matured...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha