Thread: Steelers promote Cromartie-Smith, release Malecki

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers promote Cromartie-Smith, release Malecki

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-promote-cromartie-smith-release-155006510--nfl.html[/url]
    Steelers promote Cromartie-Smith, release Malecki

By The Sports Xchange |

Safety Damon Cromartie-Smith was promoted off the Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad.
    Cromartie-Smith, who was on the team's practice squad most of last season before being promoted Dec. 8, 2011, had spent the first seven weeks of this season on the practice squad as well. He made three special teams tackles while playing in the final four regular-season games last season and Pittsburgh's playoff loss at the Denver Broncos.
    Offensive lineman John Malecki was released

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/27/3563114/steelers-roster-sign-damon-cromartie-smith-john-malecki-released[/url]

Bringing back the up-and-down safety probably means depth in special teams, not much else.
    The Steelers have had an on-again-off-again love affair with safety Damon Cromartie-Smith.

It's on the on-again swing now, as they signed him to their active roster in wake of Pittsburgh's home game in Week 8 against the Washington Redkins.

Cromartie-Smith would wear No. 42 as he has in the past, if he's on the game day roster.

The move suggests he'd compete with Robert Golden for that game day spot as the team's fifth safety/special teams player. The move is likely more about the return of Maurkice Pouncey, and heading back to some Steelers-normalcy by dressing seven offensive linemen.

From Steelers.com:

Cromartie-Smith has been on the Steelers' practice squad for the first seven weeks of the 2012 season. He spent the majority of the 2011 season on the Steelers' practice squad before being promoted to the Steelers' active roster on December 8, 2011. Cromartie-Smith played in the final four regular-season games and lone postseason game, recording three special teams tackles. He spent his entire rookie season on Pittsburgh's practice squad.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe Carnell can perform the same magic he did with William Gay and coach someone up. I was impressed with how he turned WG around in one year when Horton left.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes this is a move made with the return of Pouncey, but I also wonder if this sends Van Dyke to the bench for his constant yellow flag problem on ST.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Yes this is a move made with the return of Pouncey, but I also wonder if this sends Van Dyke to the bench for his constant yellow flag problem on ST.
    I think this may be what is driving this. Tomlin was very clear that "offenders" on Special teams may not be playing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"