Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Redundant Thoughts 2012 Week 8 @ Bengals

Backup

User Info Menu

deleted...
    Last edited by redundantman; 09-03-2014 at 03:02 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

deleted...
    Last edited by redundantman; 09-03-2014 at 03:02 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just about everything you wrote about the Bengals miscues being the difference in the game could have been written about the Steelers (had we lost). In fact, I'd say we had bigger drops than they did (twice that would have resulted in easy TDs). The Bengals didn't play well, but there were lots of positives in that game. Todd Haley called a fantastic game from start to finish. If not for drops from Batch, Wallace, Wallace, Wallace, and Wallace, we likely would have scored about 40 points. We drove the ball all night long. The drops and Ben's two turnovers short-circuited drives. To me, that is a huge positive. If the coaching is that strong and offensive line play is good enough, this offense (if healthy) should be very good. The two biggest question marks about our offense were strengths on Sunday night. Heck, the run blocking, against a good defensive line, was excellent. The Steeler defense was not perfect, but they were very good. One Bengal touchdown came on an 80-yard drive. Other than that, the defense was effective. Yes, the Bengals ran pretty well on first down. Yes, we didn't get to the QB as much as we should. Yes, there is still plenty to improve. But, Keenan Lewis had good coverage and awareness all night. Woodley pressured the QB a few times and had a pick. Ryan Clark continued a very solid season. Ike had some very good coverage (albeit with help over the top usually). We forced them to look like the away team, and we had a defensive scheme that was effective.

It wasn't beautiful, but it was a decisive road win against a division rival. Many positives came out this game. I've tempered my enthusiasm because it was just one game, but your gloom is certainly overstated.
    Last edited by steelblood; 10-25-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Eich is onto something. Call it wishful thinking, but I truly believe the Steelers can sneak into the playoffs, get healthy, get more comfortable with the O, and peak just at the right time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Bengals were in it until the last drive.
    You can paint any picture you want, bottom line is we COULD NOT put the game away.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    It was an AFC win , on the road, in prime time, that happened to be against a divisional opponent...

I'm freaking ecstatic...
    I am too. I don't get people who are mad at a win like this. If you want to complain about a win (and many feel you never should, a W is a W), then it would be the Iggles game, not this one. To hold a decent Cinci offense to under 200 yards is a stellar job. To run right over them in crunch time is exactly what this team needed. This game was great. Yea, the kept them in the game, but when it mattered most the D stepped up and the rushing game pounded them to crap. I have no problem with this win. I can't believe how negative some are.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    You can paint any picture you want, bottom line is we COULD NOT put the game away.
    So, Cinci doesn't want to try to win too? Gee whiz, let's just shoot the Steelers for not winning by a wide margin. They should win every game by 40 or we should be depressed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Just about everything you wrote about the Bengals miscues being the difference in the game could have been written about the Steelers (had we lost). In fact, I'd say we had bigger drops than they did (twice that would have resulted in easy TDs). The Bengals didn't play well, but there were lots of positives in that game. Todd Haley called a fantastic game from start to finish. If not for drops from Batch, Wallace, Wallace, Wallace, and Wallace, we likely would have scored about 40 points. We drove the ball all night long. The drops and Ben's two turnovers short-circuited drives. To me, that is a huge positive. If the coaching is that strong and offensive line play is good enough, this offense (if healthy) should be very good. The two biggest question marks about our offense were strengths on Sunday night. Heck, the run blocking, against a good defensive line, was excellent. The Steeler defense was not perfect, but they were very good. One Bengal touchdown came on an 80-yard drive. Other than that, the defense was effective. Yes, the Bengals ran pretty well on first down. Yes, we didn't get to the QB as much as we should. Yes, there is still plenty to improve. But, Keenan Lewis had good coverage and awareness all night. Woodley pressured the QB a few times and had a pick. Ryan Clark continued a very solid season. Ike had some very good coverage (albeit with help over the top usually). We forced them to look like the away team, and we had a defensive scheme that was effective.

It wasn't beautiful, but it was a decisive road win against a division rival. Many positives came out this game. I've tempered my enthusiasm because it was just one game, but your gloom is certainly overstated.
    Crackalackin pop-a-moppin. THIS /\ /\ /\ /\.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBRbzf3Fws[/url]

They jacked them up down the final stretch like Rob Bass.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    If the Steelers had a lead, didn't give it up and won the game, isn't that the very definition of "putting the game away"?

Did the Chargers "put the game away" by going into halftime up 24-0?

Legend

User Info Menu

My definition of "putting the game away" is going up by more than 7
    Im sure you have watched the games this year when the Steelers couldnt put the game away and we lost.
    I didnt watch the Chargers game and I could care less about them.