Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Before we crucify the Iggy draft pick...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    James Laurinaitis is currently 2nd in the NFL in tackles, sounds pretty good to me.
    Yea, that does sound pretty good, but I was looking at his career stats - nothing special. Of course, now that Fisher is there, the D will get better, of course.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    there's a lot of guys who i'd take there over hood.
    Out of the entire rest of the draft? Perhaps, but let's not be disingenuous here. No fair picking out sleepers who were drafted much later who ended up being surprise players. To be fair, we should stick to the known, rated players taken no later than 30 picks after Hood. Go ahead and tell me which one of those players would be better picks. I only saw 2, and that is very low when applying hindsight to a draft. VERY low.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LeSean McCoy??? 1 year after drafting Mendenhall in the 1st round. I'm sure that would have went over well.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    He is at least still in the NFL and starting. Maybe he isn't dominant, but what D-lineman really is in our 3-4 system? Not many.
    which begs the question of why are we drafting DEs in the 1st round if we need them to first sit and learn a new technique and 2. occupy blockers

do we really need the better pedigree of the draft class to do that?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    which begs the question of why are we drafting DEs in the 1st round if we need them to first sit and learn a new technique and 2. occupy blockers

do we really need the better pedigree of the draft class to do that?
    Been sayin that for a couple of years. We waste DL talent
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We didn't use to; since converting to the 3-4, most of our DEs have come in the 3rd round and later. The Hood/Heyward picks were exceptions to the recent rules. And, as of right now, they don't seem to be panning out as being as valuable as high as they were picked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ziggy plays plenty of snaps as a traditional DT in passing downs and does not show much there, either.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ziggy plays plenty of snaps as a traditional DT in passing downs and does not show much there, either.
    ...except when he's knocking down passes at the LoS...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...except when he's knocking down passes at the LoS...
    His knockdowns against the bungles were the first he had this season. It's not like he's a JJ Watt type knocking down everything thrown to his side of the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    You and I have a different view of a "traditional DT" in passing downs. For me it is four DL with their hands down getting ready to tear after the QB. We put two DL down. I don't see that as the same.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"