Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ziggy Hood Not Getting it Done

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    from Ed Bouchette's latest chat:

It looked like Cinci ran right all night. Do they have an all pro right guard or tackle? Or do they think Ziggy is the weak link on the Steelers D line? I felt like Ziggy got pushed around most of the game.

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengals’ first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. I’m not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if you’re going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hood’s best game so far.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ises-to-qno-2q[/URL]
    I guess two people can look at the same game and see things totally different. Here is what ProFootball Focus had to say:
    Cincinnati’s offensive line has gained a reputation as a good pass blocking group that struggles in the running game, though they played a balanced game on Sunday. Both guards played well as LG Clint Boling (+2.4) and RG Kevin Zeitler (+1.9) were the top-rated linemen for the Bengals. As usual, quiet is good for linemen, and neither player surrendered pressure on the Bengals’ 50 snaps. Zeitler did a particularly nice job in the running game getting to the second level and sealing Pittsburgh’s inside linebackers while Boling had a key block in the screen game. For the season, the duo remains in the Top 10 in our guard rankings
    and this:

Steelers DE Ziggy Hood did not pick up any pressures on his 26 pass rushes, but he did bat down two passes.
    So apparently Ziggy (and the whole OL) did their job of 'occupying blockers' but getting no pressure whatsoever. I disagree with those that claim the OL isn't designed to attack the QB and I would like someone to find a direct quote from the coaching staff stating such, cause in the game today that doesn't cut it.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 10-23-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I guess two people can look at the same game and see things totally different. Here is what ProFootball Focus had to say:

and this:

So apparently Ziggy (and the whole OL) did their job of 'occupying blockers' but getting no pressure whatsoever. I disagree with those that claim the OL isn't designed to attack the QB and I would like someone to find a direct quote from the coaching staff stating such, cause in the game today that doesn't cut it.
    Hood is a 3-4 DE. They line-up in what is called a 5-technique, which is head-up on the Tackle. What Bouchette is saying and the grades assigned to Cincy's guards by Pro Football Focus are not mutually exclusive...they can both be accurate assessments.

The guards will double-team either the NT or DE, while the other will pull or try to get out to the 2nd level and seal off the backers. The primary responsibility for the 3-4 defensive linemen is to occupy those blockers and either make the play, clog-up the running lanes, or keep the linebackers clean to make a play. They have 2 gap responsibility, which means they are supposed to engage, read, shed, and do one of those things I just mentioned.

It's tough to find guys who are stout enough to consistently defeat double-teams and display pass-rushing skills at the same time. The ones like Aaron Smith, or what we are seeing out of J.J. Watt, are obviously rare finds. You should expect your 3-4 DE to be able to mount some type of occasional pressure, but the scheme puts the linebackers in a position to make the play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel View Post
    Hood is a 3-4 DE. They line-up in what is called a 5-technique, which is head-up on the Tackle. What Bouchette is saying and the grades assigned to Cincy's guards by Pro Football Focus are not mutually exclusive...they can both be accurate assessments.

The guards will double-team either the NT or DE, while the other will pull or try to get out to the 2nd level and seal off the backers. The primary responsibility for the 3-4 defensive linemen is to occupy those blockers and either make the play, clog-up the running lanes, or keep the linebackers clean to make a play. They have 2 gap responsibility, which means they are supposed to engage, read, shed, and do one of those things I just mentioned.

It's tough to find guys who are stout enough to consistently defeat double-teams and display pass-rushing skills at the same time. The ones like Aaron Smith, or what we are seeing out of J.J. Watt, are obviously rare finds. You should expect your 3-4 DE to be able to mount some type of occasional pressure, but the scheme puts the linebackers in a position to make the play.
    great post
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Also, keep in mind that Dalton gets rid of the ball unusually quick. They showed some film during the game and on those plays he had the ball out in less than two seconds - and there were several instances. Cincy linemen don't have to keep there blocks for very long and we managed to get some push and were able to crowd Dalton when he dropped back even though he was not sacked.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Watt also plays in a one-gap 3-4 scheme while Ziggy is responsible for two-gaps...that is a big difference....