Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ziggy Hood Not Getting it Done

Legend

User Info Menu

from Ed Bouchette's latest chat:

It looked like Cinci ran right all night. Do they have an all pro right guard or tackle? Or do they think Ziggy is the weak link on the Steelers D line? I felt like Ziggy got pushed around most of the game.

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengals’ first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. I’m not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if you’re going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hood’s best game so far.

[URL]http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ises-to-qno-2q[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

It looked like Cinci ran right all night. Do they have an all pro right guard or tackle? Or do they think Ziggy is the weak link on the Steelers D line? I felt like Ziggy got pushed around most of the game.

ME: Did you stop watching after the Bengals’ first drive? Cincinnati ran for 49 yards on that series and they did run to their right on their final five plays, scoring a touchdown doing so. They ran for 49 yards on their opening drive. After that, they ran for only 31 yards the rest of the night. Also, Ziggy Hood was credited with deflecting two passes and was fourth on the team with four tackles. I’m not comparing Hood to Aaron Smith, but if you’re going to criticize, do so with the right facts because that may have been Hood’s best game so far.

Ziggy seemed to be playing a lot of nose on passing downs this game. We need Hampton from 8 years ago, not the version we have now. Not his fault, everyone gets old and he's coming off a knee injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

Only time will tell if Ziggy will develop more consistency.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, he batted down two balls (finally someone was getting his paws up there...maybe coach Mitchell showed them some J.J. Watt tape to show them how it is done), and I believe Hood was pushing Zeitler back when Dalton hit Zeitler in the helmet with the ball, leading to Woodley's interception.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post

Don't try to introduce facts into a veiled criticism of Tomlin's draft picks.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Don't try to introduce facts into a veiled criticism of Tomlin's draft picks.
    so you feel like hood has lived up to his draft selection?

I don't.

he was never a good fit as a 34 end, IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    so you feel like hood has lived up to his draft selection?

I don't.

he was never a good fit as a 34 end, IMO.
    Eddie, I agree with you. I don't care who selected Ziggy Hood. He showed flashes in his second season but regressed last year. He did bat down 2 passes against the Bengals, but he was a target in the run game, especially early.

He seems like a good kid and a hard worker, but I'm not sure that he is a significant step up from a Nick Eason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

my thoughts exactly. This ridiculous debate over who picks who is mind numbing.

I'm a tomlin guy and I don't see how questioning hoods selection is viewed as a shot at tomlin. Maybe I'm just slow.

hood just hasn't impressed me very much. We heard all about his new workouts and new physique this year, but I wonder why it took him 3 years to get in that shape. Solid character guy, tries hard, just not a great football player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    Solid character guy, tries hard, just not a great football player.
    I wonder if all these high character guys are problematic. Don't you need a little crazy to play football. I'd rather find more guys with the demeanor of James Harrison. You've got the polar opposite in Troy, but he plays with a reckless abandon for his body, so I see him as having a little crazy in his style of play.

I just wonder if some of these character guys are willing to play with abandon and no fear. Not that I see anything wrong with anyone specific because of this, but it seems like it could be a collective issue.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Eddie, I agree with you. I don't care who selected Ziggy Hood. He showed flashes in his second season but regressed last year. He did bat down 2 passes against the Bengals, but he was a target in the run game, especially early.

He seems like a good kid and a hard worker, but I'm not sure that he is a significant step up from a Nick Eason.
    I agree. I'm not trying to knock Hood (or a coule other high picks) but I'm not going to praise someone for 1 good season or a couple good games when they've underperformed the majority of their career.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.