Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams permanent starter at RT?

Backup

User Info Menu

Mike Adams permanent starter at RT?

Besides the one fumble by Ben where Adams missed his guy, I thought Mike Adams played very well for his first start at RT. My question is if he continues to play that well, does he take the RT job away from Gilbert?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddjammin View Post
    Besides the one fumble by Ben where Adams missed his guy, I thought Mike Adams played very well for his first start at RT. My question is if he continues to play that well, does he take the RT job away from Gilbert?
    Ultimately, I have to believe the job will be his and Gilbert will be the left tackle or vice versa. He did get quite a bit of help from Heath in containing Atkins and even Collinsworth noticed that the first time the Steelers gave him a one-on-one assignment with Atkins that he got beat and Ben fumbled. Yes, it was a nice game by him, but at some point you begin to hamper the offense if he can't handle the job alone. Heath was huge again last night blocking and receiving; I'm glad he plays for the Steelers.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the job will still be Gilbert's when he returns. Adams seemed to be mobile and active in run blocking and was ok in pass protection, but he still has work to do. I think a healthy Gilbert is probably the better option, right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

I like Foster at RT better than either of those guys right now. I understand we have to play to get better in the future. But when DD comes back, I think our best OLine for the remainder of this season would be Max, Pouncey, Bronko, DD, Foster.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Pap - Are you recommending that Gilbert be the LT so he can knock Colon out for the season? lol.

At least in that scenario, we'll have a healthy DeCastro. He won't have to worry about Gilbert to his right and the likely possibility that he'll fall on the back of his leg.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

While I was pleased with Adams performance overall, I know his history...all pro one game...revolving door the next. Before talking about a starter job, I want to see Adams fill in and play with consistency.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ultimately, I have to believe the job will be his and Gilbert will be the left tackle or vice versa. He did get quite a bit of help from Heath in containing Atkins and even Collinsworth noticed that the first time the Steelers gave him a one-on-one assignment with Atkins that he got beat and Ben fumbled. Yes, it was a nice game by him, but at some point you begin to hamper the offense if he can't handle the job alone. Heath was huge again last night blocking and receiving; I'm glad he plays for the Steelers.

Pappy
    Collinworth's an ass. There were plenty of times Adams was left on his own to block last night after that fumble. Is there any coincidence that no o-lineman was lost last night after the one man wrecking crew was out? Our run blocking was surprisingly good too (This is where Adams excels).

Legend

User Info Menu

I would agree...Adams has never had a problem with run blocking...though he did miss an assignment early which resulted for a loss on Batch. Adams plays best when there is a fire under his feet. He hasn't been a guy who could self motivate in the past. Making him work for a starter position as long as you can works out in the teams and his best interest.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I would agree...Adams has never had a problem with run blocking...though he did miss an assignment early which resulted for a loss on Batch. Adams plays best when there is a fire under his feet. He hasn't been a guy who could self motivate in the past. Making him work for a starter position as long as you can works out in the teams and his best interest.
    You know him better than I do, but color me slightly impressed last night. Why do we insist on drafting Tackles that have motivation problems? (Gilbert and Adams).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say I was overly impressed with Adam's play last night but it wasn't the blood bath that I thought it might be. He still has a long ways to go in my book. I just hope he get there.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!