Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is The Media That Dumb?

Legend

User Info Menu

Is The Media That Dumb?

Why does the media keep printing half the stuff Big Ben says? It's kinda funny the way he so easily manipulates them.

The Haley/Ben rift is the latest in the line of Big Ben misdirections.

Once again, I think Ben's trying to make people fall asleep on him. Dink and Dunk is the new Running Game and Defense everyone talked about early in his career.

If you really think about why Ben doesn't get as much credit as other QBs, it's mostly due to Ben and the info he puts out there. Ever notice how since Ben has been in Pittsburgh, the reality of what the Steelers do on the field is never reported accurately. The Steelers beat writers write what Ben and Tomlin tell them. And I think these 2 have figured out how to get an edge in the media.

Ben needed Haley because everyone can see the defense struggling. The running game has been struggling. The penalty flags are dropping everywhere. It's become clear as day that Ben needs to carry this team.

But this "Dink and Dunk/Ben Hates Haley" stuff will make everyone miss what's really happening here. People will be talking about the D and running game come playoff time. And that's our opening. Make everyone go to sleep on Ben just in time for the playoffs and lets make a run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope you are correct.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I hope you are correct.
    I'm sure they miss his sense of humor and take him seriously when he's not. Ben seems to like to mess around with reporters. And it's crazy how one miss on Ben's humor and twitter, espn, etc all blow up with a story that's not there.

These guys run with the littlest things. BA's hand signals, Haley didnt reach out to Ben gate, dink and dunk. The way this info keeps dripping reeks of it being planned.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i don't know if the media is as dumb as they sound or if thats their gameplan. i think it's 50/50.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Or could it be that this really is a story, and although Ben doesn't prefer the "dink and dunk" it is working to keep him on his feet and it is working as a replacement for our mediocre run game. Basically yhe major mistakes on offense last night came from Wallaces drops and Batch drop, and Ben not taking what was given him. Heath wasn't open in the endzone, and Ben could have checked down and hit Dwyer, and on the sack/fumble, Ben was looking down field for a big play. I love the fact that Ben can extend any play, and he has a laser for an arm, but I think he hates being forced to check down and not throw is 30 yards down field every chance he gets. Haley is forcing him to go against what he wants to do, Arians let Ben be Ben. I think Hines addressed it last night. The OC has to be a Team guy not a QB guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    Or could it be that this really is a story, and although Ben doesn't prefer the "dink and dunk" it is working to keep him on his feet and it is working as a replacement for our mediocre run game. Basically yhe major mistakes on offense last night came from Wallaces drops and Batch drop, and Ben not taking what was given him. Heath wasn't open in the endzone, and Ben could have checked down and hit Dwyer, and on the sack/fumble, Ben was looking down field for a big play. I love the fact that Ben can extend any play, and he has a laser for an arm, but I think he hates being forced to check down and not throw is 30 yards down field every chance he gets. Haley is forcing him to go against what he wants to do, Arians let Ben be Ben. I think Hines addressed it last night. The OC has to be a Team guy not a QB guy.
    I think all that plays into the story.

While I don't see a contentious relationship being real, I do think that Haley's got his work cut out for him trying to help Ben find the fine line in his game.

6 games don't make a season, but it looks so far like Haley wants Ben to be Tom Brady on 1st and 2nd down and then Ben on 3rd down. And be healthy going into the post season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben has an insane 3rd down percentage... IMO Ben has received more praise this year than in previous years. The local media wants a fight between Ben and Haley but every opponent knows this offense goes through Ben.

One reason we are dink and running is due the injuries at RB. It also keeps Ben clean, keeps 3rd downs manageable, helps with field position and lulls the D to sleep. The play to Batch was a prime example..

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben has an insane 3rd down percentage... IMO Ben has received more praise this year than in previous years. The local media wants a fight between Ben and Haley but every opponent knows this offense goes through Ben.

One reason we are dink and running is due the injuries at RB. It also keeps Ben clean, keeps 3rd downs manageable, helps with field position and lulls the D to sleep. The play to Batch was a prime example..
    It also forces the defense to cover the entire field, because now Ben will use the underneath routes and take his 3, 4 or 5 yards rather than looking for the big play frequently. The offense should continue to improve over the course of the year and hopefully hit its stride at the right time.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    Heath was no more open on his TD catch than he was on the INT...it's just that one of them was a pinpoint accurate laser throw, and the other one, well, not so much.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Heath was no more open on his TD catch than he was on the INT...it's just that one of them was a pinpoint accurate laser throw, and the other one, well, not so much.
    I'm not saying he was, but there is a better chance of something bad happening when you throw to a guy who is blanket covered as opposed to throwing to an open receiver. To limit mistakes you can't always rely of the pinpoint laser.