Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Somebody get this man a Stemmy!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Is it me or does it appear that Sanders hit the weight room a bit this offseason.

I was thinking the same thing. After his long catch and run across the middle, he was celebrating with Brown, and there was a noticeable difference in size between them which I had never seen before.

Along those same lines...Dwyer looked fatter last night than during preseason and the first couple games. I think he's got a bit of an Oprah thing going on.

Backup

User Info Menu

in my opinion, I think the Sanders fake injury timeout was one of the funniest moments in Steelers history. Al and Chris had me laughing my a-- off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Emmanuel Sanders not disciplined, but NFL is reviewing fake injury
    Posted by Michael David Smith on October 23, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT

Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders gave the rest of the NFL a clear lesson in how to save a timeout by employing poor sportsmanship on Sunday night, faking an injury to give his team time to get the right personnel on the field.

With the Steelers facing third-and-11 with six minutes left in the game, Pittsburgh wanted to substitute but didn’t have time to do it without picking up a delay of game penalty. So Sanders — one of the players who was supposed to come off — simply fell to the ground pretending to be hurt, which caused a clock stoppage that allowed the Steelers to get the correct personnel on the field.

It was incredibly obvious that Sanders was faking, but it became ridiculously obvious when Sanders went right back on the field just one play later. NBC’s Cris Collinsworth and Al Michaels both noticed that Sanders was faking immediately, and Michaels noted that the league office might have something to say about it.

Based on what the league office has said in the past, Sanders should have to explain himself. Last season, when two Giants players obviously faked an injury in a game against the Rams, the NFL distributed a memo saying, in part, “all those suspected of being involved in faking injuries will be summoned promptly to this office.”

Well, now Sanders is suspected of being involved in faking injuries. But NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT that Sanders wasn’t summoned to the league office, or disciplined in any other way. However, the situation is still being reviewed by the league office.

As I wrote at the time of the Giants’ fake injury controversy, faking injuries is a time-honored practice in football. It dates at least to 1953, when a Notre Dame team was dubbed the “Fainting Irish” after faking an injury to get a free timeout that set up a tying touchdown on the last play of a game against Iowa. But the fact that fake injuries have been around for more than half a century doesn’t make them acceptable. And since the NFL has warned teams not to do it, there’s no reason for the NFL not to act now that Sanders has obviously done it.

It would stink to see the NFL become like soccer, where players are constantly flopping to the turf with phony injuries. But if the NFL doesn’t crack down, things could head in that direction. The example that Sanders set on Sunday night is clear: If you want a free timeout, just fake an injury. The referee and the league office won’t do anything about it.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/23/emmanuel-sanders-not-disciplined-for-fake-injury/[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.