Thread: Why can the offense NEVER be the unit to carry the team?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why can the offense NEVER be the unit to carry the team?

What is it about the Steelers, and Steelers Nation, that the defense is held accountable if they aren't a top defense every year? I hear quite often how the defense failed us because they failed to hold a lead. Or the defense is called out and bashed if our season outlook looks grim because they aren't this dominant unit carrying us. My question is, why can't the offense ever step up and be a top 5 offense and when they are not, why aren't they held just as accountable?

We have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL and possibly of all time. We have had Pro Bowl WR's, a Pro Bowl caliber TE. Ben is now on his 3rd coordinator with very similar results. On offense we are always ranked in the middle, or low end of the middle of the pack. Today's NFL is totally tilted in the favor of the offense yet with a top QB and one of the best groups of offensive skill players middle of the pack results is acceptable?

In Tomlin's years as head coach we have only surpassed 30 points on offense 19 times in 85 regular season games. We are 18-1 in those games. The 1 loss being the Titans game. Time to put up a top 5 offense, the defenses back is tired from carrying the team for the last decade plus.

If you want to say the OL, That is the ONLY weakness Tomlin inherited and here we are 6 years later.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 10-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    What is it about the Steelers, and Steelers Nation, that the defense is held accountable if they aren't a top defense every year? I hear quite often how the defense failed us because they failed to hold a lead. Or the defense is called out and bashed if our season outlook looks grim because they aren't this dominant unit carrying us. My question is, why can't the offense ever step up and be a top 5 offense and when they are not, why aren't they held just as accountable?

We have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL and possibly of all time. We have had Pro Bowl WR's, a Pro Bowl caliber TE. Ben is now on his 3rd coordinator with very similar results. On offense we are always ranked in the middle, or low end of the middle of the pack. Today's NFL is totally tilted in the favor of the offense yet with a top QB and one of the best groups of offensive skill players middle of the pack results is acceptable?

In Tomlin's years as head coach we have only surpassed 30 points on offense 19 times in 85 regular season games. We are 18-1 in those games. The 1 loss being the Titans game. Time to put up a top 5 offense, the defenses back is tired from carrying the team for the last decade plus.

If you want to say the OL, That is the ONLY weakness Tomlin inherited and here we are 6 years later.
    I've been on this bandwagon for several years. We've seen the pass rush disappearing over the last few years. We've seen the leads disappear as well. And Ben's been around long enough that he needs to carry the team.

Not just late game heroics. Complete games of domination. Complete games of good decision making.

Ben's been playing great this year. And it's hard to put these losses on him, but I do. And I think Ben probably does too if he's being honest. He's missed plays that could have pushed us over the top. There's other situations where he's had to be heroic on 3rd down with no blocking, no running game. And he's come through, but we need more.

There's a reason he gets paid. He needs to pay like he gets paid. He needs to do a better job of putting points up on the board. Take some of the pressure off our D.

Legend

User Info Menu

our 33rd ranked OL and stable of mediocre RBs probably don't help matters...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Yeah, the offense would score more if the running game was worth a ****. It's also worth noting that defenses and special teams can score too. I know that seems odd considering neither unit ever does for us, but a lot of the better teams in the league get points from their defenses and special teams on an occasional to regular basis. Basically, the passing game is the only method by which the Steelers have proven capable of scoring, which is why they're not breaking any scoring records.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not to get on you, but that is a typical Steeler fan cop out. Where are the points from the D and special teams. What the point is, is where are the points from the offense.

The whole point of my original post was turn the f'n offense over to your stud QB. The Steelers will NOT DO IT!

Backup

User Info Menu

Scoring more points does not Translate to the Steelers Winning more games. IF our Defense does not generate big plays it will constantly leave the offense out to dry..