Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking out sack stats...I find this interesting...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Checking out sack stats...I find this interesting...

Big Ben has only taken 10 sacks in 5 games this year...that's a pace for 32 on the season, when he typically takes 35-45 (or is on pace for such numbers based on how many games he plays).

then I looked at the numbers for the leagues sack leaders....there are a ridiculous amount of guys on pace for 10+ sacks. Even more than that, I am shocked by how many guys are becoming sack-a-game players. Now I know that the 'pace' at this point doesn't mean much - having one 3-sack game will pretty much get you there - but I will definitely be keeping an eye on this over the rest of the season. If the number of elite sack artists truly is up this year, and Ben really does keep his sack numbers down around 32, then hopefully he finally is truly changing his style of play a little bit!

Legend

User Info Menu

And a lot of Ben's sacks happened early in the season. I was wondering the other day if Haley's helped him find that fine line. Because Ben is being like Ben on 3rd down more than ever to keep plays alive. But he's not taking so many sacks recently.

There's not a lot to go on just yet. And it might just be the quality of opponents recently.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are facing a real pass rush this week. Let us see how this works out.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    We are facing a real pass rush this week. Let us see how this works out.
    Yeah, if the Bengals can do one thing really great it's rush the passer.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    And a lot of Ben's sacks happened early in the season. I was wondering the other day if Haley's helped him find that fine line. Because Ben is being like Ben on 3rd down more than ever to keep plays alive. But he's not taking so many sacks recently.

There's not a lot to go on just yet. And it might just be the quality of opponents recently.

That's most likely what it is, but I like to dream a little. Hey! Maybe these teams all have such bad sack numbers BECAUSE they played the Steelers!

League Leader - GB with 21 sacks
    Leauge Loser - Jacksonville with 3 sacks.

Teams the Steelers have played:

Denver - 18 total sacks (Tied for 5th in the NFL) - 5 sacks against Pittsburgh
    NY Jets - 9 total, 27th in NFL, 3 against Pittsburgh
    Oakland - 4 total, 31st in NFL, 1 against Pittsburgh
    Philly - 7 total, 30th in NFL, 0 against Pittsburgh
    Tennessee - 8 total, 28th in NFL, 1 against Pittsburgh

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    That's most likely what it is, but I like to dream a little. Hey! Maybe these teams all have such bad sack numbers BECAUSE they played the Steelers!

League Leader - GB with 21 sacks
    Leauge Loser - Jacksonville with 3 sacks.

Teams the Steelers have played:

Denver - 18 total sacks (Tied for 5th in the NFL) - 5 sacks against Pittsburgh
    NY Jets - 9 total, 27th in NFL, 3 against Pittsburgh
    Oakland - 4 total, 31st in NFL, 1 against Pittsburgh
    Philly - 7 total, 30th in NFL, 0 against Pittsburgh
    Tennessee - 8 total, 28th in NFL, 1 against Pittsburgh
    And three of the Denver sacks were on consecutive plays in garbage time since Ben was in desperation mode (i.e. not playing within the usual confines of the offensive system) after throwing the pick 6. So, essentially, when running the Haley offense, Ben's only been sacked 7 times in 5 games (being sacked only twice in the last 3 games is pretty impressive, especially considering the OL injuries of late).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    then I looked at the numbers for the leagues sack leaders....there are a ridiculous amount of guys on pace for 10+ sacks.
    The problem is not too many of these guys are Steelers. We have really fallen back in the pack WRT our sack ability.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Our sack leader is......Jason Worilds with 3.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Our sack leader is......Jason Worilds with 3.
    That puts him on pace for 9.5 this year...and he has done it without multiple sack games that drive numbers up. If he can keep it up, then maybe he finally has some value after all.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We have 11 sacks. That is very poor for a supposed attacking 3-4 team with the inventor of the zone blitz running the show. One thing I have wondered about Lebeau...can a 70+ year old man really spend the necessary time needed to study his opponent & gameplan accordingly? We heard players say this year that we do the same things year after year, game after game. It seems to me like the only time we really look good on defense is after a bad loss.....does he spend more time in that scenario?
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 10-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.