Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin not to blame for lack of discipline

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    The individuals need to held accountable themselves. They are grown men and not children.
    And when they don't hold themselves accountable and keep making penalties? What then? Just tell them, "You need to hold yourself accountable, you grown men" and nothing changes? Phil Simms summed it up best when he said, "Football is such a crazy sport that you have to have coaches pushing you at all times. You can't do it all on your own. You need coaches to get you more focused and always pushing harder." He is right. There are very few players who are so disciplined and self-motivated that they don't need coaches to keep them in line. There are probably only a few men per team that could pull it off; everyone else needs coaching, including riding them to limit dumb penalties. Who has that job? THE HEAD COACH. It's Tomlin's job to address this; if it continues, he needs to crack some heads. Obviously, he is failing on that end. To dismiss the dumb penalties as not the head coach's job is moronic.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Yeah, It was Cowhers fault that Ben wrecked on his bike? Pfffft. It was Cowhers fault that Bam Morris got caught with all that grass? Pffffft
    It was Cowhers fault that Joey Porter got shot in Denver? Pffffft.
    We are talking about dumb penalties, not motorcycle accidents. Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffttttttttttttt

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Character isn't as prized a quality as it used to be. Too often, talent trumps all. Good players get second chances after abhorrent behavior. Great players get third, fourth and even fifth chances.
    If Ta'amu doesn't get the boot, I see this as an indicator from the Steelers FO that there's a chance that he's at the very least a good player.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    If Ta'amu doesn't get the boot, I see this as an indicator from the Steelers FO that there's a chance that he's at the very least a good player.
    I mean, they already gave him a 2-game suspension! What else can you expect them to do?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    And when they don't hold themselves accountable and keep making penalties? What then? Just tell them, "You need to hold yourself accountable, you grown men" and nothing changes? Phil Simms summed it up best when he said, "Football is such a crazy sport that you have to have coaches pushing you at all times. You can't do it all on your own. You need coaches to get you more focused and always pushing harder." He is right. There are very few players who are so disciplined and self-motivated that they don't need coaches to keep them in line. There are probably only a few men per team that could pull it off; everyone else needs coaching, including riding them to limit dumb penalties. Who has that job? THE HEAD COACH. It's Tomlin's job to address this; if it continues, he needs to crack some heads. Obviously, he is failing on that end. To dismiss the dumb penalties as not the head coach's job is moronic.
    Players know what they should or should not do. At some point, if players don't do what's necessary they eventually get replaced. When and how players are replaced depends on different factors. Phil Simms can't speak for every player in the league.

Coaches can't keep anyone "in line". What coaches can do is serve as a guide. Whether players listen to coaches is another story.

I am certain players know they should not commit penalties. I am sure coaches address penalties with players. It's all there when players and coaches review game film. Whether players listen to the coaches is another story. If players don't listen to the coaches, players eventually get replaced.

Players know going into games that mistakes of any kind hurt the team's chances to win games. Dumb penalties fall on the players. It's moronic to suggest other wise when the whole world can see who commits those dump penalties.

Legend

User Info Menu

Many penalties indicate you're just not talented enough. They aren't always an indicator of mental mistakes.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Many penalties indicate you're just not talented enough. They aren't always an indicator of mental mistakes.
    I can't agree...

Pre-snap penalties are definitely mental mistakes...as are personal foul penalties or things like running out of bounds on a kick/punt return...

Pass Interference calls and Holding calls are often just bad luck...the Steelers have been very unlucky this season while their opponents have been extremely lucky...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I can't agree...

Pre-snap penalties are definitely mental mistakes...as are personal foul penalties or things like running out of bounds on a kick/punt return...

Pass Interference calls and Holding calls are often just bad luck...the Steelers have been very unlucky this season while their opponents have been extremely lucky...
    bad luck? Ike's PI's have been blatant...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    I think it means we are thin at the position...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I can't agree...

Why does a guy jump early? Often because he knows he needs to get a jump because the guy across from him is bigger, faster, or just a better player.

Personal fouls - They're usually a knucklehead reaction, but they often occur after a guy gets beat by a better player and is expressing frustration and can't control his emotions.

PI and Holding happen when a guy gets beat. They're often an act of desparation to prevent a big play or save a QB from getting hit.

The running out of bounds was a young guy mistake. Philly schooled the kid. Guys usually push a guy out of bounds and Philly didn't touch him. It was a surprising move that I've never really seen before. It was a bit of a forced error. But our young corner learned from it and used against Philly the very next time they punted.