Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers playing the Vikings in London in 2013

Starter

User Info Menu

I want to go to this game.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I am going to this game!!! been a steelers fan for 30+ years and this will be me first opportunity to see them live - sorry if there are fans not happy about this, but I am so excited and can't wait

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    I am going to this game!!! been a steelers fan for 30+ years and this will be me first opportunity to see them live - sorry if there are fans not happy about this, but I am so excited and can't wait
    Good for you Bosh And welcome to the Planet....

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Medea View Post
    It is so nice to see that being said. I am a fan in the uk and I have heard nothing but bitching on other boards since this announcement. Other than the travel time (which is not that much further than some away games in the states) the only thing that could be a bit of distraction is the publicity stuff that occurs while they are over here. But that is more the cheerleaders than the players, so not an issue for the Steelers.
    welcome to the Planet Medea

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Mike Tomlin

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Medea View Post
    Other than the travel time (which is not that much further than some away games in the states) the only thing that could be a bit of distraction is the publicity stuff that occurs while they are over here. But that is more the cheerleaders than the players, so not an issue for the Steelers.
    Go Steelers, Go Steelers, Go Steelers Go!!!

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    welcome to the Planet Medea
    Thank you. :

Legend

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000085949/article/nfl-in-london-a-british-fans-perspective[/url]

LONDON -- The NFL returns to play its sixth International Series game in London on Sunday, with the Rams and Patriots battling it out on the hallowed turf of Wembley Stadium, and it's at about this time each year that fans back in the "home" of football start to wring their hands over whether teams should travel internationally to play in front of a non-American audience.

Having tracked the responses from U.S.-based fans year after year in comments on NFL.com and fan forums, the vitriol normally goes something like this:

"They've got their football, why do they need ours?"

"Over there they call it American Football, so why doesn't it stay in America?"

"People there don't understand the game, so why should the NFL give them one? It's a waste."

"They had NFL Europe and it failed, they don't deserve a second chance."

"They've got rugby, we've got football. Keep it that way."

Truth is, though, that football is followed just as passionately in the UK as it is in its homeland. While there aren't as many fans in the UK and around the rest of the globe, they are just as passionate and knowledgeable about the sport as fans that show up week after week to support their favorite teams across the U.S.

Consider the sacrifices that fans overseas have to make to follow the game. On Sundays in the UK, the "early" NFL games kick off at 6pm, with "Sunday Night Football" at the ungodly hour of 1:30 a.m.

Tens of thousands of fans stay up to watch that game, and then do it all over again on Monday night, just to be able to follow their favorite sport. Many ensure that they can track their favorite NFL teams through the season by buying the NFL's excellent NFL Game Pass product, which allows them to live stream games on their laptops or tablets, but at $100 for the season, you certainly would need to be a fan to buy it.

Other fans will spend thousands to travel over once a year to see their favorite team in action in its home city, buying up as much merchandise as they can fit into their suitcases on the journey home so that they can own the authentic product of the NFL.

In terms of the depth of knowledge about the sport, fans overseas will consume as much information and content as they can about the NFL. Sit down with any British NFL fan, and they'll happily spend hours discussing the same things that fans in the U.S. would chat about.

How is Tony Romo still the Cowboys QB? How much longer will the Jets stick with Mark Sanchez? Who's going to win the NFC North? The same coherent, cogent conversations are taking place among NFL fans in the UK as back home in America. And what's more, those same conversations are going on in different languages around the world on a daily basis too.

What's the point of all of this? As a British NFL fan transplanted to live and work in the U.S., I see the arguments against games being played overseas every time it's brought up by the NFL, and while many are logically thought out, the vast majority are of the knee-jerk type mentioned above.

The NFL has fans around the world, and they are growing in numbers each year - in part due to the presence of NFL games in the UK. So instead of demanding that the NFL stop playing those games, fans in the U.S. should allow the NFL's global fan base its day in the sun (or drizzle) so that they can have a taste of what makes football the best sport in the world.

Follow Henry Hodgson on Twitter @nflukhank.

Molon labe

Mike Tomlin

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Heard on 93.7 the Fan this morning that AAA in Pgh is putting together a trip to London. No details yet but they are in the planning stages.

Would love to go!

Kindle