Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Info from Tomlin's PC

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ovi, your opposition to the 3-4 is approaching tin foil hat levels. Woodley pulled his hamstring because of the 3-4? Was he even in coverage on the play where the injury occurred? Is there a history of 3-4 OLBs suffering more leg injuries than 4-3 DEs (because plenty of DEs get hurt, too)?
    It all goes back to my basic premise. When all the gear are in perfect working order the 3-4 is great. My fundamental issue is based on two factors:

1. It is high risk because of the need to take up to three season out of a players career to convert them to new positions and because of this medium to high risk coversion process it creates depth issues that leave teams unprepared when the successful conversions are injured or at the end of their careers.
    2. It is much more efficient to take players out of college and have them play the positions that they played in college that you scouted them playing and determined they had potential for the NFL.

I think I have been pretty consistent about that. And to suggest that having a 270lb man chase 200lb RBs in pass coverage may cause leg injuries is far from a reach. It's a logical possibility.

My preference for the 4-3 is no less credible than your love for the 3-4. You like apples and I like oranges. However, I think the argument I have made about replenishing talent in our 3-4 is looking to be very true as the stars of the last 7-10 years fade out.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It all goes back to my basic premise. When all the gear are in perfect working order the 3-4 is great. My fundamental issue is based on two factors:

1. It is high risk because of the need to take up to three season out of a players career to convert them to new positions and because of this medium to high risk coversion process it creates depth issues that leave teams unprepared when the successful conversions are injured or at the end of their careers.
    2. It is much more efficient to take players out of college and have them play the positions that they played in college that you scouted them playing and determined they had potential for the NFL.

I think I have been pretty consistent about that. And to suggest that having a 270lb man chase 200lb RBs in pass coverage may cause leg injuries is far from a reach. It's a logical possibility.

My preference for the 4-3 is no less credible than your love for the 3-4. You like apples and I like oranges. However, I think the argument I have made about replenishing talent in our 3-4 is looking to be very true as the stars of the last 7-10 years fade out.
    Your basic premise applies to any offensive or defensive scheme.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Here we go again with Woodley...Isn't he suffering from a hamstring issue? Hope this isn't like last season, where he went through a major part of the schedule either ineffective or unable to play because he kept coming in before his hammy was fully healed.
    If he re-injures it from trying to come back too quickly, I am gonna be beyond angry.

Starter

User Info Menu

great points
    Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    If Tomlin/Arians/Haley sneezed and didnt say excuse me you guys would complain. I blame the players, the ones on the field. Bellicheat makes Brady good? if thats the case then what happened with Bledsoe? What happened in Cleveland? If Caldwell/Dungy made Peyton Manning then what happened when Peyton was hurt? What happened in Tampa? Sorry Phil Jackson didnt make Jordan, it was the other way around. Coaches put players in position to be successful but its those players who execute at a high level that make a difference. This isnt High School or College.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm looking forward to having Deebo and Woodley on the field at the same time. GET THE GINGER!!!!