Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: If This Board's Logic Holds True........

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,179
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    There are only 2 teams above .500 in the AFC. If we made the kick last game and didn't give up a play or two in our other losses we are easily sitting at 4-1. This isn't as much about the Steelers as it is about the league and the rules that are creating parity and a lack of defense overall. There is no dominant team anymore. The team that will win the Super Bowl will be the team that peaks in the final 3rd of the season and through the playoffs. Our offense is coming together, and if we get the defense a little healithier and get some pressure on the QB we could very easily be that team....or we could miss the playoffs. Welcome to the new NFL, which is a passing league with limited defense where 70 percent of the time the team that has the ball last wins. 7 of the games last week came down to either the final drive or overtime. Our team is really no different than our team in years past aside from our offense being able to sustain drives better and Ben playing better, the thing that has changed is the rules and the way they have taken big hits out of the game, which opens up the middle and the crossing patterns because no one is afraid to get there head taken off. If you can't touch a receiver before the pass, and you can't hit him hard after he catches the ball every offense has the ability to drive the ball through the passing game on every defense.

    On a side note, the new key is to get to the QB before he can pass. For us to be successful we have to give up on the idea of prevent and keeping the play in front of us after the catch, and attack the QB before he can get the pass off. I think LeBeau will realize this eventually and adjust accordingly.
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The reality is that we are 2-3 not 4-1. We are two games behind the leader of our Division. The season is far from over, but we have put ourselves in the hole with some of our tougher competition still ahead on the schedule. There are three or more real potential losses on the schedule so we have very little margin for error.

    The concern is that we keep getting beat the same way giving up scores after we score and scores late in games. Until we fix that I think it is understandable that the natives are restless. Sorry, but I don't think LeBeau will realize it and adjust because we have seen the same symptoms of the same problem for the past couple of seasons.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    On a side note, the new key is to get to the QB before he can pass. For us to be successful we have to give up on the idea of prevent and keeping the play in front of us after the catch, and attack the QB before he can get the pass off. I think LeBeau will realize this eventually and adjust accordingly.
    But, the prevent defense works...the prevent defense is the reason Cleveland was able to win on Sunday, for example...

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    But, the prevent defense works...the prevent defense is the reason Cleveland was able to win on Sunday, for example...
    Just because it worked well for Cleveland this past Sunday doesn't mean that it works well for us, with our current personnel.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 10-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.

  4. #14
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,137
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The reality is that we are 2-3 not 4-1. We are two games behind the leader of our Division. The season is far from over, but we have put ourselves in the hole with some of our tougher competition still ahead on the schedule. There are three or more real potential losses on the schedule so we have very little margin for error.

    The concern is that we keep getting beat the same way giving up scores after we score and scores late in games. Until we fix that I think it is understandable that the natives are restless. Sorry, but I don't think LeBeau will realize it and adjust because we have seen the same symptoms of the same problem for the past couple of seasons.
    Haven't you realized that no lead is safe in today's NFL? Lebeau or any DC can adjust how ever they want but it's not going to change that fact that offenses have a clear advantage over defenses. These "symptoms" don't only plague the Steelers defense. Ultimately, players need to execute and step up and make plays.

    The offense had the opportunity to close out 3 games for the team and failed. Regardless of the unit, the team needs to find a way to win close games at the end.

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Haven't you realized that no lead is safe in today's NFL? Lebeau or any DC can adjust how ever they want but it's not going to change that fact that offenses have a clear advantage over defenses. These "symptoms" don't only plague the Steelers defense. Ultimately, players need to execute and step up and make plays.

    The offense had the opportunity to close out 3 games for the team and failed. Regardless of the unit, the team needs to find a way to win close games at the end.
    Exactly Burgh. Most games these days comes down to who has the ball last. It doesn't matter what scheme you play. The only teams that don't suffer from this are the ones that can consistently rush the passer (Giants, San Fran, Houston). Those are the teams that can blow others away. While defensive play calls are a part of rushing the passer if you look at those 3 teams you'll see it comes down to individual talent.

    I laugh at those who think we will be successful if only we were aggressive. Sure, we were aggressive against the Eagles and we were successful. We were also very aggressive against the Titans. We just weren't successful. Go back over that Titan game and see how often we were aggressive and how often we were burned playing that way. Do you remember us sending a corner and safety after Hassleback on a 3rd and 11. Needless to say a short toss to Chris Johnson and they were 1st and 10. This happened many times throughout the game.

    So if you are aggressive and the opponent is still successful what do you do? The only other option is to play back and try and cover. We obviously didn't do that well either. At some point in time we have to realize that either our players aren't that talented or just not playing in sync.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  6. #16
    Pro Bowler Flasteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere on the water.
    Posts
    2,469
    Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    There are only 2 teams above .500 in the AFC. If we made the kick last game and didn't give up a play or two in our other losses we are easily sitting at 4-1. This isn't as much about the Steelers as it is about the league and the rules that are creating parity and a lack of defense overall. There is no dominant team anymore. The team that will win the Super Bowl will be the team that peaks in the final 3rd of the season and through the playoffs. Our offense is coming together, and if we get the defense a little healithier and get some pressure on the QB we could very easily be that team....or we could miss the playoffs. Welcome to the new NFL, which is a passing league with limited defense where 70 percent of the time the team that has the ball last wins. 7 of the games last week came down to either the final drive or overtime. Our team is really no different than our team in years past aside from our offense being able to sustain drives better and Ben playing better, the thing that has changed is the rules and the way they have taken big hits out of the game, which opens up the middle and the crossing patterns because no one is afraid to get there head taken off. If you can't touch a receiver before the pass, and you can't hit him hard after he catches the ball every offense has the ability to drive the ball through the passing game on every defense.

    On a side note, the new key is to get to the QB before he can pass. For us to be successful we have to give up on the idea of prevent and keeping the play in front of us after the catch, and attack the QB before he can get the pass off. I think LeBeau will realize this eventually and adjust accordingly.
    This.



    "I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

    "Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."


    -Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •