Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressing Reality: Colbert/Tomlin's drafts have sucked a bit

Administrator

User Info Menu

I could freakin' care less what type of love affair, buddy buddy relationship Tomlin has with his players.

I want the coach to put a good product on the field which requires drafting well and developing talent. Neither of which he has done well.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Anthony Smith, Willie Reid, Willie Colon, Orien Harris, ♦ Bryant McFadden, Trai Essex, Fred Gibson , Drew Caylor and Eric Taylor?
    Please dont make me go on.......

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I could freakin' care less what type of love affair, buddy buddy relationship Tomlin has with his players.

I want the coach to put a good product on the field which requires drafting well and developing talent. Neither of which he has done well.
    Tomlin doesnt draft. Colbert does.

Backup

User Info Menu

If Tomlin made ALL great picks. Colbert would get the credit lol. Just like when Tomlin wins, the Credit goes to Cowher. But when Tomlin losses he gets the blame. How does that work?

Legend

User Info Menu

When was the last time the team had a losing season with Tomlin as HC?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    How does winning factor into the equation? The drafts simply haven't sucked with Tomlin as HC. Several draft picks under Tomlin became starters and contributors on this team. There have been some players that haven't panned out. Same can be said for players that were drafted when Cowher was the coach. Ultimately, remaining competitive and winning is the measure of how well teams are built. This team hasn't had a losing season with Tomlin has HC.
    They arent interested in facts. They are interested in bashing a WINNING coach. They tell me "Why do you Bash Ben. He wins". True enough. Same goes for Tomlin doesnt it???? Guess not

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Anthony Smith, Willie Reid, Willie Colon, Orien Harris, ♦ Bryant McFadden, Trai Essex, Fred Gibson , Drew Caylor and Eric Taylor?
    Please dont make me go on.......
    Deion Figures. Andre Hastings, Chucki, Kendrell Bell, Chad Scott, Kordell, Charles Johnson, just a few BUMS off the top of my head (Excluding KB)

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    How does winning factor into the equation? The drafts simply haven't sucked with Tomlin as HC. Several draft picks under Tomlin became starters and contributors on this team. There have been some players that haven't panned out. Same can be said for players that were drafted when Cowher was the coach. Ultimately, remaining competitive and winning is the measure of how well teams are built. This team hasn't had a losing season with Tomlin has HC.
    My point is that Tomlin hasn't been drafting and developing defensive talent. Anybody with half a brain can take over a team and be successful when you have a pre-built stud defense, a franchise QB and a WR that will be a HOFer. Tomlin was handed that on a golden platter.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Then how come Cowher wasnt in 06? How come Cowher got to draft Ben? Wasnt Ben Roethlisberger a HIGH 1st round choice? Didnt Cowher have that "pre built stud defense, a franchise qb and a Hall of Fame WR? So how did he go 8-8 his last season? How did he go 6-10 in 03? Cowher must not have half a brain.

Hey you said it, not me.

Legend

User Info Menu

My point is that Tomlin hasn't been drafting and developing defensive talent. Anybody with half a brain can take over a team when and be successful when you have a pre-built stud defense, a franchise QB and a WR that will be a HOFer. Tomlin was handed that on a golden platter.
    You can't fault Tomlin for the team he inherited. However, the team he inherited finished 6-10 in 2006.

They haven't drafted and developed defensive talent? Timmons and Woodley are pretty good players that were drafted and developed under Tomlin. William Gay was a solid contributor and IMO a good nickle CB. I am not sure how to evaluate Hood because I don't know what the coaches expect out of him. Hood did start for a defense that was number one in the league in 2011. Keenan Lewis is a starter. Worilds hasn't been able to remain healthy but he's shown flashes of developing into a good OLB. The jury is still out on some of the other defensive players that were recently drafted. They drafted and developed some pretty good offensive talent with Tomlin as HC.

I think this all goes back to fans and having unrealistic expectations. It seems that fans expect players like Polamalu to be drafted every season. When this team loses consistently with Tomlin as HC then there will be cause for concern. Until then, fans don't have much ground to stand on. At this point, Tomlin will need to walk on water for some fans to acknowledge his contributions to this team.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 10-15-2012 at 10:54 PM.