Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressing Reality: Colbert/Tomlin's drafts have sucked a bit

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I find it interesting that the team NEVER admits to who is pulling the trigger in the draft. No accountability. And look at this particularly horrid draft. The entire thing stinks to high heaven. Other than Mendy (who I believe under-achieved) the entire thing was a total waste of time. Sweed? POS. Bruce Davis? Total garbage at a time when we already were screaming for O linemen, rightly so. Hills? I called him a bust 10 minutes after they drafted him; his rep was he was soft and weak - and he ended up being both. Dixon, Humpal, Mundy? All bums. What a horrible draft.

1 23 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
    2 53 Limas Sweed WR Texas
    3 88 Bruce Davis LB UCLA
    4 130 Tony Hills T Texas
    5 156 Dennis Dixon QB Oregon
    6 188 Mike Humpal OLB Iowa
    6 194 Ryan Mundy FS West Virginia

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Ummmm, he inherited Rod Woodson, Kirkland, Lake, Hardy Nickerson, Lloyd, Steed, Darren Perry, DJ Johnson, Jerry O - not a bad base of players, for sure.

Cowher's first trip to the Super Bowl was with Noll's players. Noll's players won early for Cowher. In the late 90s when Noll's players were gone we saw how good Cowher was:

1998 7-9
    1999 6-10
    2000 9-7

When Tomlin puts together three years like that then start to tell me how bad he is compared to Cowher. It's not even a contest so far and Tomlin is winning. Tomlin's doing it without being an egotistical clown who spends half the game mugging it up hoping to get the camera to focus on him.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-16-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I find it interesting that the team NEVER admits to who is pulling the trigger in the draft. No accountability. And look at this particularly horrid draft. The entire thing stinks to high heaven. Other than Mendy (who I believe under-achieved) the entire thing was a total waste of time. Sweed? POS. Bruce Davis? Total garbage at a time when we already were screaming for O linemen, rightly so. Hills? I called him a bust 10 minutes after they drafted him; his rep was he was soft and weak - and he ended up being both. Dixon, Humpal, Mundy? All bums. What a horrible draft.
    The person pulling the trigger in the draft is accountable to the owner, not to the fans, and I'm sure the owner knows who is pulling the trigger.

That draft didn't work out well, but I'm sure you will remember, at the time, that people were thrilled about Mendy and Sweed. I would have preferred Cliff Avril to Davis in the third (and Avril was a guy the Steelers worked out) but unfortunately that was a missed pick.

Hills was a boom or bust pick - he was coming off an injury and was a big question mark, but he had upside. Sometimes you need to take a risk.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something. They aren't playing like all-pros. I thought that has been well established.
    They have been to two Super Bowls since Cowher. Havent been playing like All Pros? Based on what FIVE GAMES? Ok

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Cowher's first trip to the Super Bowl was with Noll's players. Noll's players won early for Cowher. In the late 90s when Noll's players were gone we saw how good Cowher was:

1998 7-9
    1999 6-10
    2000 9-7

When Tomlin puts together three years like that then start to tell me how bad he is compared to Cowher. It's not even a contest so far and Tomlin is winning. Tomlin's doing it without being an egotistical clown who spends half the game mugging it up hoping to get the camera to focus on him.
    In the end, I hated Cowher. He is so self-centered and arrogant. He may ham it up for the CBS cameras, but he was known as an rear end in Pgh. Staff were told to not speak to him unless he spoke to them first. Really? That is a real jerk. And he was vastly overrated. A legit, quality coach would have won more Super Bowls with the teams he had. He was flat out lucky to win the one he did, where his team almost lost to one of the weakest teams in the history of the Super Bowl. He was also the primary reason we had to suffer with Kordell for as long as we did. He was too arrogant to admit he made a mistake with him.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Going into the Titans game, Colon led the league in penalites for offensive lineman - with a bye week. When Legursky is called for 4 holding calls in a game (Colon in Philly) and people come on here and praise him, then you might have something. Otherwise you're blowing smoke. Plenty of players, black and white get bashed for poor play.
    This is true and I have never denied this. My point is that its HUMAN NATURE to give those a pass who look like you.

Backup

User Info Menu

He kept his job KNOWING he was leaving, and he coached like a man who knew he was leaving = quitting while still taking a pay check. That is lame.
    I respect you for coming on here and posting the TRUTH

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    This is true and I have never denied this. My point is that its HUMAN NATURE to give those a pass who look like you.
    I don't trust anyone who looks like me for one minute...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Was Legs even drafted? He was never added to this team as a likely starter. Anything he contributes is just icing on the cake; the fact that he can even offer any play that is any where near NFL Caliber is a huge plus. Colon got a huge contract, and then quickly got hurt two years in a row, and now offers us some of the very worst OG play in the entire league (I believe he has more flags than any OG in the NFL.) Give me a break. Many predicted pro bowl level play from Colon playing OG....ummm, hasn't turned out that way, has it?
    Sorry, with ME, the standard is not raised based on PAY. We have a quarterback that is not earning the contract he gets. But I dont expect more of him because he is the highest paid. I expect more of him because he is a starter on the team. I hold ALL starters to the same standard. So because Legursky isnt a high draft pick or a person we have "invested" in then the standard is lower? If thats the case then WHY isnt the same standard applied to Redman? Willie Parker? Mike Wallace? Ike Taylor? All low picks or FA's that we didnt count on being an intricate part of our team BUT THEY ARE/WERE.

Ben's STYLE contributes to Colons holding calls. Ben admits the line has to adjust to his style. Why cant you? Try blocking for someone thats running from side to side and you dont know where he is but your opponent does. The natural reaction is to reach out and grab. Hence holding. Thats a small part of the reason he gets holding calls. What about the big contract that Alan Faneca got? How did he perform? The two tackles from Jaguars threw him around like a rag doll (Henderson and the other slilps my mind). Faneca also acted as a cancer his last season with us just because he didnt get the money he wanted. The guy is regarded as a hero in the burgh. Why is all forgiven?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    I'm sure everyone appreciates your lesson in psychology. It's also HUMAN NATURE to not have the courage for an attack on one's own convictions because they are our own .
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>