Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Depressing Reality: Colbert/Tomlin's drafts have sucked a bit

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm not surprised some people hate Tomlin... most coaches, like QB's, are loved or hated.

However, it's clear that a few people will never like him.. they ripped his decision to go for 2 vs the Jags... nothing wrong with that, but ripping him 3 years later over it?

Tomlin gets zero credit because Cowher "built his team" but if Whiz or Grimm were hired I bet they would get a pass because they were on the team already. I find it crazy to ho hum getting back to 2 SB's with Tomlin because it was hard as hell to get to a SB with Cowher and if not for Ben's tackle we probably wouldn't have made it in 2005. On top of that... we struggled to beat a mediocre Seattle team IMO.

I loved Cowher but the expectations for Tomlin are unreal IMO.
    That's an unfair generalization. I like certain things Tomlin has done. I wasn't in favor of Grimm and I wasn't quit sure about Whiz. I was a harsh critic of Arians and I'm harsh on Tomlin for certain things but I give him credit for others. For example, the Steelers have done well developing skill positions on offense. They haven't done so on defense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Playing the race card is for the weak minded. I'm sure you'll give us Godwin's Law next....

Colon is a starter who'd being paid on a $29M contract. Gilbert was a 2nd round draft choice with the expecation of starting. Legursky is a back-up and I've seen countless post from people who have said they hope he never has to be more than that. NO ONE has ever claimed he's one of the best lineman.
    The Race card couldnt be played if it wasnt in the deck. Fact still remains that he should be getting ripped but he gets a pass. Why? Redman is a backup OFF THE PRACTICE SQUAD. I see him getting ripped. What is your next excuse sir?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Yea... let's blame Cower because his players can't be all-pros in their mid-30's.
    Then why do you credit him when they do play like All Pros in their mid 30's?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    The Race card couldnt be played if it wasnt in the deck. Fact still remains that he should be getting ripped but he gets a pass. Why? Redman is a backup OFF THE PRACTICE SQUAD. I see him getting ripped. What is your next excuse sir?
    An excuse for what? I don't know why I'm even spending time writing a response to this post.

I don't know what you're talking about in regards tos Redman goes... I never ripped him.

I was a little surprised and disappointing how he performed as a full time starter but I've been a supporter of Redman.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Then why do you credit him when they do play like All Pros in their mid 30's?
    Maybe I'm missing something. They aren't playing like all-pros. I thought that has been well established.

Legend

User Info Menu

Mahan was ripped to shreds on here...

there aren't a lot of white players to rip to begin with...

Legend

User Info Menu

Going into the Titans game, Colon led the league in penalites for offensive lineman - with a bye week. When Legursky is called for 4 holding calls in a game (Colon in Philly) and people come on here and praise him, then you might have something. Otherwise you're blowing smoke. Plenty of players, black and white get bashed for poor play.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlilsberger, Troy Polamalu, James Harrison and Heath Miller. ALL COWHER GUYS. All have BETTER relationships with Tomlin than Cowher.

Kordell loves Cowher though. Screw Cowher he quit on us. BEFORE his wife was diagnosed so save that excuse.
    He kept his job KNOWING he was leaving, and he coached like a man who knew he was leaving = quitting while still taking a pay check. That is lame.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Prime example. This board is proof of my post above. How many threads are ripping our non black players? WHO is our worst lineman? I see posts on Gilbert (I agree with the thread. hes always hurt). Threads on Colon (sure he holds but thats the equivalent of a sack. You accept the dumb sacks by the qb. But he is a hellofa run blocker). OUR WORST LINEMAN IS EASILY LEGURSKY. Does he get killed on this board? Hmmmm
    Was Legs even drafted? He was never added to this team as a likely starter. Anything he contributes is just icing on the cake; the fact that he can even offer any play that is any where near NFL Caliber is a huge plus. Colon got a huge contract, and then quickly got hurt two years in a row, and now offers us some of the very worst OG play in the entire league (I believe he has more flags than any OG in the NFL.) Give me a break. Many predicted pro bowl level play from Colon playing OG....ummm, hasn't turned out that way, has it?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Cowher's defense wasn't pre-built. He built it.

The same goes for the QB, the same goes for the HOF WR.
    Ummmm, he inherited Rod Woodson, Kirkland, Lake, Hardy Nickerson, Lloyd, Steed, Darren Perry, DJ Johnson, Jerry O - not a bad base of players, for sure.