Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 84

Thread: Depressing Reality: Colbert/Tomlin's drafts have sucked a bit

  1. #31
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    1,756
    Tomlin haters will always hate.
    Pouncey, Wallace, Brown , Woodley. 4Pro Bowlers
    Timmons a Pro bowl snub three years ago
    Sanders could be a starter on most teams.
    Seems like pretty good drafter to me.
    I think Tomlin have a better eye for the offensive side of the ball being. A former wr.
    The hate is getting real obvious..

  2. #32
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,969
    While I won't disagree that we've had some poor drafts lately, this article has some poor premises. For example, to say that William Gay never reached his potential is a really poor argument. Gay was an important member of the secondary (both starter and as a nickel where he excelled) on some good teams for us. He was a fifth round pick who is still starting on a good defense. Sure, he is a below average NFL starting corner. But, what do you expect in the fifth round? And if Sanders could just stay healthy, he'd have been a very nice 3rd rounder.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  3. #33
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    While I won't disagree that we've had some poor drafts lately, this article has some poor premises. For example, to say that William Gay never reached his potential is a really poor argument. Gay was an important member of the secondary (both starter and as a nickel where he excelled) on some good teams for us. He was a fifth round pick who is still starting on a good defense. Sure, he is a below average NFL starting corner. But, what do you expect in the fifth round? And if Sanders could just stay healthy, he'd have been a very nice 3rd rounder.
    Worilds has shown flashes of being a good player. Remains to be seen if he can stay healthy.

  4. #34
    Backup
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    423
    Most dont like Tomlin 1st because he got the job over Wiz ( A guy who cant win his division. The weakest in the NFL). Why are we so enamored with Wiz? What did he do so great for us? 2nd. Because he beat out Grimm. What makes Grimm so great? Lets face it, we root for guys who look like us. I had to have a buddy bring this reality to me. I had "issues" and didnt realize it. My buddy pointed out that "you expect more from the black players and you give the white ones more of a pass". I refused to see this (He made this comment based on how critical I was of Kordell) Years went on before I realized that he was right. Its human nature, we all do it. Its the ones who cant recognize what they are doing or the ones who deny what they are doing that worry me. Bill Cowher lost so many home games in the AFCCG that he should have won. But he gets a pass becasue he LOOKS like us. Cowher was 12-9 IN THE PLAYOFFS!! IF that was Tomlin........... Well you know the rest

  5. #35
    Backup
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    423
    Prime example. This board is proof of my post above. How many threads are ripping our non black players? WHO is our worst lineman? I see posts on Gilbert (I agree with the thread. hes always hurt). Threads on Colon (sure he holds but thats the equivalent of a sack. You accept the dumb sacks by the qb. But he is a hellofa run blocker). OUR WORST LINEMAN IS EASILY LEGURSKY. Does he get killed on this board? Hmmmm

  6. #36
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    2,086
    Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Prime example. This board is proof of my post above. How many threads are ripping our non black players? WHO is our worst lineman? I see posts on Gilbert (I agree with the thread. hes always hurt). Threads on Colon (sure he holds but thats the equivalent of a sack. You accept the dumb sacks by the qb. But he is a hellofa run blocker). OUR WORST LINEMAN IS EASILY LEGURSKY. Does he get killed on this board? Hmmmm
    Playing the race card is for the weak minded. I'm sure you'll give us Godwin's Law next....

    Colon is a starter who'd being paid on a $29M contract. Gilbert was a 2nd round draft choice with the expecation of starting. Legursky is a back-up and I've seen countless post from people who have said they hope he never has to be more than that. NO ONE has ever claimed he's one of the best lineman.

  7. #37
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,273
    I'm not surprised some people hate Tomlin... most coaches, like QB's, are loved or hated.

    However, it's clear that a few people will never like him.. they ripped his decision to go for 2 vs the Jags... nothing wrong with that, but ripping him 3 years later over it?

    Tomlin gets zero credit because Cowher "built his team" but if Whiz or Grimm were hired I bet they would get a pass because they were on the team already. I find it crazy to ho hum getting back to 2 SB's with Tomlin because it was hard as hell to get to a SB with Cowher and if not for Ben's tackle we probably wouldn't have made it in 2005. On top of that... we struggled to beat a mediocre Seattle team IMO.

    I loved Cowher but the expectations for Tomlin are unreal IMO.

  8. #38
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Tomlin haters will always hate.
    Pouncey, Wallace, Brown , Woodley. 4Pro Bowlers
    Timmons a Pro bowl snub three years ago
    Sanders could be a starter on most teams.
    Seems like pretty good drafter to me.
    I think Tomlin have a better eye for the offensive side of the ball being. A former wr.
    The hate is getting real obvious..
    People need to read entire posts... I specifically pointed to the development of defensive players.

    Timmons had 1 really good year in which he split time with Foote. Hardly a great pick considering where he was drafted.

    Woodley. That is a solid pick considering his productivity and where he was drafted.
    <a href="http://www.ticketmonster.com/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tickets?aid=16567">Get Great Steelers Tickets!</a>

  9. #39
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Prime example. This board is proof of my post above. How many threads are ripping our non black players? WHO is our worst lineman? I see posts on Gilbert (I agree with the thread. hes always hurt). Threads on Colon (sure he holds but thats the equivalent of a sack. You accept the dumb sacks by the qb. But he is a hellofa run blocker). OUR WORST LINEMAN IS EASILY LEGURSKY. Does he get killed on this board? Hmmmm
    Are you serious? Legursky is a backup for gods sake. He's a bad starting G but an adequate backup center. And for the record, how many white players are even on the roster? Obviously, the majority of the players are black.... for ALL teams. So if you criticize a player... the odds are in favor that he's black.

    What a bizarre post.
    <a href="http://www.ticketmonster.com/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tickets?aid=16567">Get Great Steelers Tickets!</a>

  10. #40
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    So BLAME COWHER when we lose. Simple
    Yea... let's blame Cower because his players can't be all-pros in their mid-30's.
    <a href="http://www.ticketmonster.com/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tickets?aid=16567">Get Great Steelers Tickets!</a>

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •