Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Troy Polamalu Is Our MVP

Legend

User Info Menu

Torn calf muscle keeps Polamalu on sidelines

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Troy Polamalu won’t play Sunday in Cincinnati. He probably won’t play next week or the week after that, not with a torn calf muscle that has turned his right leg a hideous shade of purple and red.

Troy Polamalu won’t play Sunday in Cincinnati. He probably won’t play next week or the week after that, not with a torn calf muscle that has turned his right leg a hideous shade of purple and red.

But the reason he’s hurting isn’t just because of an injury that usually takes up to six weeks to heal. It’s because the Steelers (2-3) need him badly after losing each of their first three road games, and he won’t be out there Sunday night in Cincinnati to help a struggling defense.

“That’s why they (NFL teams) pay the more talented players big money, to keep them on field,” Polamalu said Wednesday. “Obviously, you want your starters and your more experienced players out there.”

The best-case scenario for Polamalu’s return, according to teammates, is the second half of the season. He wishes he could return last week.

“Sometimes I wonder if it’s just us,” Polamalu said, referring to the Steelers’ current abundance of injuries that includes their top two running backs and two starting offensive linemen. “It seems like we deal with it pretty seriously every year. I’m aware of Baltimore’s situation (with Lardarius Webb and Ray Lewis out), but it seems like we face those situations year in and year out.”

Polamalu included. The Bengals game will be the fourth he’s missed this season and the 17th he’s sat out over the last four seasons. It’s frustrating to him, especially because he started every game at age 30 last season and made the All-Pro team.

Polamalu was hurt during the fourth quarter of the season-opening Denver game. He sat out two games and a bye week only to get hurt not long into the first quarter of the Eagles game Oct. 7.

A strained calf occurs when a muscle is forcibly strained beyond its limits, causing it to tear. Strains are graded at three levels, with the most severe requiring the most recovery time.

“Calf strains are in the muscle bellies, so they tend to heal on their own and take time,” said Dr. David Geier, an orthopedic surgeon and the director of sports medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina. “If you try to go back too soon, a sudden explosive (move) can stretch muscle fibers, and you start back at square one. Calf strains are a tough injury because everything you do in sports involves pushing off.”

Polamalu is certain he didn’t come back too soon against the Eagles.

“I felt really good,” he said. “I felt as good as I have in a while.”

For now, Polamalu said, he is combating the nagging injury “with just the normal stuff — treatment, massage, stretching, strengthening, and all the different techniques.” But rest is most needed.

Geier said there isn’t much that can be done to speed up the healing process.

A sprained left knee in 2009 and a strained right Achilles late in the 2010 may have indirectly contributed to his current injury.

“The body always compensates and it compensates from the ground up,” Polamalu said. “If the left toe hurts, it will compensate maybe to the right ankle or calf to the left knee to the right hip, all the way up your body. … That is basic sports physiology.”

This is basic Steelers-ology: They are a much, much better team when Polamalu plays.

And he is certain he will again, he just isn’t sure when. He is not worried this injury might be season-ending or career-threatening.

“Not at all,” he said.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2792211-85/polamalu-calf-season-injury-muscle-week-steelers-won-game-isn#ixzz29cWYWE6Y[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

If he can't come back from this injury until after game 8, it may well (in a sense) be a season-ending injury...for the team.

Again, I say...we can no longer afford to be so dependent upon one player.

Legend

User Info Menu

Troy is a beast... but if he played in the 70's he would be on the sideline hurt and his career would already be over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    You are wrong. I am 46 and saw my Steelers at their best. What you described is an excuse. If you havent noticed from my posts, I'm not into excuses. Jack Lambert had a SHORT Career, was undersized with the heart of a champion. NO WAY he impacted games more than Polamalu. He was oft hurt (how do I know this? Because I was there). Jack Ham was FAR BETTER. He was more versatile than Lambert. Lambert gets more credit because of his "LOOK". See the below footage of Jack Tatum. You mean I can find footage of one of Greene, Lamberts etc contemporaries but according to YOU, there wasnt enough film back then or whatever you said. I think what you mean is "I couldnt find anything as equally impactful as what you posted". Hence making my point.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgQARSzaI0[/url]

I am 48 and was very young during J Greenes best seasons. I bet you dont remember them. You talk about Shell? If the Greene you remember is the one that played along Shell as a starter he was already past his prime. Shell was a backup to begin his career. You want video you got video.

Top 10 Steelers "of all time" number one.....Joe Greene:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-networ...ime-Joe-Greene

Career highlights:

• 1972 Defensive Player of the Year (AP, NE, PW)
    • 1974 Defensive Player of the Year (AP, NE, PW)
    • 1969 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (AP, PW)
    • NFL 75th Anniversary Team
    • Super Bowl Silver Anniversary Team
    • 1970s All-Decade Team
    • All-Time NFL Team (selected in 2000)

Note the EARLY 70s were his best seasons. How old were you?

Do you remember this:

He had career-high 11 sacks in 1972 when Pittsburgh reached the playoffs for the first time ever. In a must-win game against Houston, Greene recorded five sacks and a fumble recovery. All anybody remembers is the immaculate reception that year. If not for MJG we dont even make the playoffs that year.

Sorry I dont have video of that game. It was kinda rare. That is why video is a ridiculous argument to make.

Nevertheless, please tell me what game of any current Steeler can compare to THAT kind of dominance
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 10-18-2012 at 07:59 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hahaha. They didn't have Sunday ticket back then. So unless you went all 16 games, including the away games, back when Steeler fans actually DID travel well and didn't already live in away cities, no one knows the players as well as we do now.

I started watching back in 1978, and aside from the rare game on TV or Monday night game (in Southern Indiana), I got my info from the newspaper and the evening news (didn't have sportscenter). And we all didn't start watching every game until Sunday ticket came out at the bars in 1992.

Backup

User Info Menu

If stopplayn is 46 years old, then I'm a rich man.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I
    He had career-high 11 sacks in 1972 when Pittsburgh reached the playoffs for the first time ever. In a must-win game against Houston, Greene recorded five sacks and a fumble recovery. All anybody remembers is the immaculate reception that year. If not for MJG we dont even make the playoffs that year.
    e
    so your saying he had 6 sacks in the other 10 games......OVERRATED

LOL (SARCASM OFF)

gotta love a newbie trying to Dis one of the best DLs ever to play the game. a 2 time Defensive palyer of the year
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 10-19-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You are wrong. I am 46 and saw my Steelers at their best. What you described is an excuse. If you havent noticed from my posts, I'm not into excuses. Jack Lambert had a SHORT Career, was undersized with the heart of a champion. NO WAY he impacted games more than Polamalu. He was oft hurt (how do I know this? Because I was there). Jack Ham was FAR BETTER. He was more versatile than Lambert. Lambert gets more credit because of his "LOOK". See the below footage of Jack Tatum. You mean I can find footage of one of Greene, Lamberts etc contemporaries but according to YOU, there wasnt enough film back then or whatever you said. I think what you mean is "I couldnt find anything as equally impactful as what you posted". Hence making my point.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgQARSzaI0[/URL]
    Oh, okay, you were 8 years old in 1974 and that makes you 14 or 15 in 1980 when their run ended which makes my point exactly, you don't remember the teams and the players whether you were there in person or not. Which puts you at 20 or 21 when Woodson was drafted and is the reason he is your frame of reference. When Joe Greene was drafted you were 4 years old. The media coverage was vastly different, there weren't any cable outlets covering football around the clock, instant web uploads to youtube, twitter, etc, etc, there was CBS, NBC and ABC, that's it.

Jack Ham was not "far better" than Lambert your 10 year old eyes deceived you as you watched all those games as a youth.

I'm not sure what excuse I made and for whom. Greene, Lambert, Ham and Blount do not need excuses their long HOF careers do all the talking that is needed. The brightest football minds of the past 45 years are all pretty much in agreement on those four football players and their impact on any game in which they played. I'm not sure what you consider a "short" career:

Jack Lambert - 11 years, 9 pro bowls and 6 all pro seasons
    Joe Greene - 13 years, 10 pro bowls and 5 all pro seasons
    Jack Ham - 12 years, 8 pro bowls and 6 all pro seasons
    Mel Blount - 14 years, 5 pro bowls and 2 all pro seasons
    Troy Polamalu - 10 years, 7 pro bowls and 4 all pro seasons (and, this is why Polamalu will be considered one of the all time greats along with the others)

Regardless, I'm not going to debate the impact these 5 players have now or had in the past on football games. But, I do think you are misremembering a lot of football from the early 70s.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

That defense was amazing. My point is that Troy Polamalu would start on that defense. He would make Donnie Shell a backup. Who would Jack Lambert start for on our Defense? He is the same size as Ryan Clark. Joe Green at 275 would be ineffective in todays game.
    And, if those guys were playing in today's game they would have been in the weight room to get bigger and stronger to be able to compete in today's game. The goal posts continue to move, we're comparing impact on the game during their respective eras, not getting into our DeLorean and bringing Lambert into 2012 as a 24 year old middle linebacker or taking Polamalu back in time to 1976.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.26 - Graham Barton, OC/G, Duke
    2.51 - Xavier Leggette, WR, South Carolina
    2.57 - Braden Fiske, DT, FSU
    3.84 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount