Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Troy Polamalu Is Our MVP

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post

I also have been watching for 40 years, and I concur.
    Same amount of time and double concur. If you did not see how the Steelers totally dominated teams in the seventies you have no idea what defense is. Even our best defennse over the past 20 years couldn't hold their jocks.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

That defense was amazing. My point is that Troy Polamalu would start on that defense. He would make Donnie Shell a backup. Who would Jack Lambert start for on our Defense? He is the same size as Ryan Clark. Joe Green at 275 would be ineffective in todays game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    That defense was amazing. My point is that Troy Polamalu would start on that defense. He would make Donnie Shell a backup. Who would Jack Lambert start for on our Defense? He is the same size as Ryan Clark. Joe Green at 275 would be ineffective in todays game.
    Now I think you have switched the bar. If we are comparing players from different eras I think you might have somewhat of a point. But if you are asking who had more of an effect on the game you don't have much of a point. Mel Blount took away one receiver ... half of the field ... just like Primetime yet you don't think that mattered. Joe Green reinvented how defensive tackles played and they had to come up with a new blocking scheme just for him. He was the first one who lined up on an angle facing the center which made it extremely hard for the guard to try and block him. He would jailbreak right between the center and guard and be all over the back or QB yet you don't think that mattered.

I'm not saying Troy isn't great because he has certainly caused nightmares for many a offensive coordinator but Blount and Green did the same ... and you might think Jack Ham couldn't play linebacker on this team but I'll bet you he could play Strong Safety and give Troy a run for his money. Ham was the best of the best in my book.

GO STEELERS!!
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Mel Blount did nothing like Prime Time. Mel Blount took advantage of rules that benefitted him. He wasnt regarded as the best cover corner, Willie Brown was. When they mention best cover corners, Mel Blount is never mentioned. In fact Blount is not even the best cover Corner for the STEELERS. He trails Woodson and Carnell Lake (SS,CB). How impactful can you be when you're not even the best at your position in your own organization? Polamalu is the best at his position ALL TIME (A case could be made for Ronnie Lott). Sure Blount was effective but once they changed the rules he was exposed.

Never said that Blount and Green werent great for the Steelers because they certainly were AND yes, they were impactful. My contention is that they just arent as impactful as Polamalu has been. I never said anything about Ham. I stated he was better than Lambert due to his versatility. No way could he play SS. He was way too slow. Battle Polalamu? Hyperbole lol

Legend

User Info Menu

thats the same stupid arguement i see with hockey. saying players are so much faster today, wayne and mario wouldnt be as good.

but why do you punish them for being above and beyond everyone else in their era. they used the same equipment, same training techniques of their peers.

with anything, there's been an advancement of athletes being bigger and stronger due to a large part of the resources they have today

Backup

User Info Menu

Say what you want but I contend that Polamalu would be a beast in their eras yet they couldnt play in his. Lastly, no Steeler has had a bigger impact than Troy Polamalu has in games. Its not even close.

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm sure troy could have got burnt just as bad in SB 9,10,13 as he was in XL, 43, and 45

Backup

User Info Menu

Too Bad his peers dont feel the same as you lol

Legend

User Info Menu

his peers dont feel that jeremy stevens beat him for a TD? hmmm, thinkthere's a video or even a youtube on that

or that fitz split him and clark for the go agead TD in SB 43? pretty sure there's a youtube on that one

or how jennings Td came in the seam of the middle of the field with troy arriving a split second too late. yep, i've seen the youtube on that one

oh yeah, how did the peers of mean joe, jack, and mel feel abou them in their playing days

Backup

User Info Menu

Uh. We play Zone. Just because Troy was in the area doesnt mean he was beat. Fitz split him and Clark so that means that POLALMALU was beat? Course it does lol. That was a Cover 2. Again a zone. Jennings scored on again a Cover 2 (ZONE) .

Funny you cant produce any highlight of similar impact to make your claim. All you're left to do is TRY to disrespect a great Steeler JUST because I LIKE HIM. Im not that important, dont let me influence you. (wsttqg)