Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Troy Polamalu Is Our MVP

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Joe Greene, Mel Blount. The NFL had to change it's rules because Blount was so outstanding in coverage.
    What Game did Blount impact like Troy Polamalu did? I posted Troys highlights. Post Blount and Greenes and lets compare

Legend

User Info Menu

wow!!!
    yeah, mean joe never impacted games like troy

unreal

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    wow!!!
    yeah, mean joe never impacted games like troy

unreal
    incredible. isn't it?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    What Game did Blount impact like Troy Polamalu did? I posted Troys highlights. Post Blount and Greenes and lets compare
    You've got to be kidding me?!?!

Backup

User Info Menu

Funny the incredulous ones CAN'T post any highlights. Snide comments arent proof. I'm fully aware of the intimidating Mean Joe. But SORRY a DT is not as impactful as Troy Polamalu. No disrespect Joe.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Funny the incredulous ones CAN'T post any highlights. Snide comments arent proof. I'm fully aware of the intimidating Mean Joe. But SORRY a DT is not as impactful as Troy Polamalu. No disrespect Joe.
    From 1974 through 1989 the video coverage of the NFL wasn't anything like it is today and in particular from 1974 through the end of the 70s (which is when these players were wreaking havoc). There may have been 2 angles recorded on any given play and nowhere near the coverage that is given today. The term "shutdown corner" or "cover corner" was coined recently and was rarely, if ever, applied to cornerbacks during the 70s.

I am guessing that you were too young to have been a fan of the Steelers during their dominating run during the 70s or, if you were, you were too young to understand what you were watching. Everything you know about the 70s teams is probably passed down from your father, mother, aunts and uncles and without any firsthand experience. you mention Rod Woodson, so my guess is that this about the time you really started watching and enjoying Steeler football.

Everyone has their own perspective and bias and guys like me that have been fortunate enough to watch the Steeler teams of the 70s and the current teams at least have a basis for comparing the two eras. I will say this, it was the rare game that at least one of the following players didn't have an impact on the game: Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount. Discounting anything they did and the impact they had on games because the rules were different is discounting four of the greatest players to ever play the game. This isn't my opinion, this is a widely held opinion by players, coaches and scouts that have been around football for many, many years and know the game.

Polamalu will be as highly regarded as the other players by not just the fans, but by his contemporaries the same as the legacy players are highly regarded. Who had more impact on a game? there's no way to tell, but from perspective of having watched for 40 years, I would say that Joe Greene would be first, then Lambert, then Blount, then Polamalu and finally Ham. There is no shame in being 4th and 5th on that list, you're looking at players of extraordinary talent and football acumen, so much so that they are all first ballot HOFers (Troy is just waiting for his 5 years to be up).

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 10-16-2012 at 06:58 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    From 1974 through 1989 the video coverage of the NFL wasn't anything like it is today and in particular from 1974 through the end of the 70s (which is when these players were wreaking havoc). There may have been 2 angles recorded on any given play and nowhere near the coverage that is given today. The term "shutdown corner" or "cover corner" was coined recently and was rarely, if ever, applied to cornerbacks during the 70s.

I am guessing that you were too young to have been a fan of the Steelers during their dominating run during the 70s or, if you were, you were too young to understand what you were watching. Everything you know about the 70s teams is probably passed down from your father, mother, aunts and uncles and without any firsthand experience. you mention Rod Woodson, so my guess is that this about the time you really started watching and enjoying Steeler football.

Everyone has their own perspective and bias and guys like me that have been fortunate enough to watch the Steeler teams of the 70s and the current teams at least have a basis for comparing the two eras. I will say this, it was the rare game that at least one of the following players didn't have an impact on the game: Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mel Blount. Discounting anything they did and the impact they had on games because the rules were different is discounting four of the greatest players to ever play the game. This isn't my opinion, this is a widely held opinion by players, coaches and scouts that have been around football for many, many years and know the game.

Polamalu will be as highly regarded as the other players by not just the fans, but by his contemporaries the same as the legacy players are highly regarded. Who had more impact on a game? there's no way to tell, but from perspective of having watched for 40 years, I would say that Joe Greene would be first, then Lambert, then Blount, then Polamalu and finally Ham. There is no shame in being 4th and 5th on that list, you're looking at players of extraordinary talent and football acumen, so much so that they are all first ballot HOFers (Troy is just waiting for his 5 years to be up).

Pappy

I also have been watching for 40 years, and I concur.

Backup

User Info Menu

Well said Pap. Well said.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Personally, I think that Greene dominated the games he played in a different way, for the most part...

Greene had the ability not only to command a double team, but to beat that double team while dominating RBs and pressuring QBs...he was a force on every down, every game...

Polamalu seems to come up with amazing, athletic plays at critical moments...he's not right on the ball, close enough to lay hands on the QB every play like Greene was, but offenses account for Troy on every play as well...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    You are wrong. I am 46 and saw my Steelers at their best. What you described is an excuse. If you havent noticed from my posts, I'm not into excuses. Jack Lambert had a SHORT Career, was undersized with the heart of a champion. NO WAY he impacted games more than Polamalu. He was oft hurt (how do I know this? Because I was there). Jack Ham was FAR BETTER. He was more versatile than Lambert. Lambert gets more credit because of his "LOOK". See the below footage of Jack Tatum. You mean I can find footage of one of Greene, Lamberts etc contemporaries but according to YOU, there wasnt enough film back then or whatever you said. I think what you mean is "I couldnt find anything as equally impactful as what you posted". Hence making my point.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEgQARSzaI0[/url]