Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Mendenhall and Redman are out for a long time

Backup

User Info Menu

If Mendenhall and Redman are out for a long time

Do we sign another running back or just go with Dwyer, Rainey and Batch?

Legend

User Info Menu

I think you just really hope that they are not out for a long time. I'm not sure who is out there, but it would appear that the pickings are slim. Maybe Hightower is still a FA, but I believe he was cut because his knee is not all the way back.

Backup

User Info Menu

Believe me, I hope they are not out long. I like what I saw out of redman in the receiving game. I was listening to trib live radio yesterday and it is being
    speculated that Mendenhall could have an ACL tear and could be out for the season. Nothing official, just being speculated.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by toddjammin View Post
    Believe me, I hope they are not out long. I like what I saw out of redman in the receiving game. I was listening to trib live radio yesterday and it is being
    speculated that Mendenhall could have an ACL tear and could be out for the season. Nothing official, just being speculated.
    Somewhere, I think it was the radio announcers during the game, I heard Mendy had an Achilles problem.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Rashard Mendenhall injury minor

Updated: October 12, 2012
    ESPN.com news services

The Achilles injury Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall suffered in Thursday night's loss to the Tennessee Titans is minor, a person who has spoken to the player told NFL.com on Friday.

Mendenhall tore his ACL in the final game of the 2011 season but returned to action in Week 5, collecting 101 totals yards and a touchdown in a 16-14 victory against the Philadelphia Eagles.

But less than a week later, he was held to 6 yards on six carries before his Achilles tightened up against the Titans.

According to NFL.com, the Steelers will wait to see how Mendenhall's Achilles feels this weekend before determining his status for the team's Week 7 matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Mendenhall's injury was one of several for Pittsburgh in the 26-23 loss to Tennessee.

Injured stars Troy Polamalu and LaMarr Woodley were inactive. They were joined on the sideline by running back Isaac Redman (ankle), center Maurkice Pouncey (leg) and right tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle), all of whom limped gingerly off the field on a night the Steelers exhausted all seven of their offensive linemen and had third-string running back Baron Batch playing in crunch time for the first time in his career.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8496924/rashard-mendenhall-pittsburgh-steelers-minor-achilles-injury-report-says[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

An achilles injury is rarely ever "minor" lol

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am really disappointed in Isaac Redman. Since January when he knew he had a prime opportunity to take this job and run with it, he has done very little to show how bad he wants it. He missed several important training camp days, basically taking off every time he had a little nick. Hence he comes into this season, and basically is outshined by a similarly weak-minded but more talented RB (Dwyer), to the point where everyone was pressing for Mendenhall to come back sooner than later. As a result (naturally), Mendenhall gets hurt (albeit, hopefully minor but still a result of coming back too soon IMO), hurting the team's chances down the road.

He (Redman) had the chance to help win last Thursday's game. I thought that if he was able to stay in the game, we would've won that game. But he didn't. He took a hard shot on his leg, and he stayed out. Would he have stayed out if this was the Super Bowl? Would he have stayed out if he was a 10-year veteran playing for his last shot at a ring?

He acts with no sense of urgency. When he is 46 years old and coaching some team back home, and he's railing on some local kid about seizing an opportunity, he'll wonder and wish that he would've taken that advice when he was able (i.e. right now).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Trading for Ben Tate or LaGarrette Blount would be better than any street FA right now & would relieve the pressure of being forced to make a decision about Mendy too soon.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Dwyer in position to carry run game

10/20/2012
    BY F. DALE LOLLEY

PITTSBURGH – The lineup just keep changing for the Steelers.

And not by choice.

While linebacker LaMarr Woodley will be back for the Steelers’ crucial game Sunday night at Cincinnati (3-3) after sitting out last week with a hamstring strain, Pittsburgh (2-3) will be without its two leading rushers against the Bengals.

Both Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman were declared out for Sunday’s game on Friday by head coach Mike Tomlin, meaning thirdstringer Jonathan Dwyer will get his first start this season.

Mendenhall aggravated his Achilles’ tendon in last week’s 26-23 loss at Tennessee, while Redman suffered a sprained ankle.

Dwyer, who has not been active the past two games after losing a fumble in a loss at Oakland, will be backed up by Baron Batch and rookie Chris Rainey.

“He hasn’t played in a couple weeks,” said wide receiver Mike Wallace of Dwyer. “This is a chance to get his helmet back and do some good things out there.”

While Mendenhall and Redman will be out, the Steelers are hopeful that center Maurkice Pouncey will play. Pouncey went through individual workouts again Friday after suffering a sprained MCL against the Titans and is questionable to play against the Bengals.

If he is unable to play, Doug Legursky would start at center and anchor an offensive line already missing starting right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who will miss at least a month with a torn tendon in his ankle.

Rookie Mike Adams will make his first career start in place of Gilbert.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who left practice Thursday after rolling his ankle, was back Friday and is not listed on the Steelers’ injury report.

In addition to Mendenhall, Redman and Gilbert, linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf) are out for the Steelers.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/10-20-2012_steelers-dwyer[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Knowing we would be without Mendy for a portion of he season, and not knowing what he could do even if he did come back, I think it was a mistake to only draft Rainey and head into this year with two dime a dozen RB's and two receiving backs.

Everything going on right now tells me we should be handing the game over to Ben & the Wr's, Heath, pass catching RB's and scrap this bullcrap love affair fable of needing to establish the running game or having a balanced attack.

I was under the impression that Haley would set the gameplan to our strengths. Does anyone think our strength is running the ball?