Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The 4th Quarter Defense Sucks (According to Certain Posters)...

The 4th Quarter Defense Sucks (According to Certain Posters)...

Discuss.....

Legend
    where is everybody?

I don't get it...

This is the perfect forum to promote one's agenda without threadjacking...

Take advantage!!!

Hall of Famer
    I don't know whether 4thQ Defense sucks or not but 3rd and long defense definitely sucks in all the Q.

Also i don't think Steelers defense can stop anyone when Steelers are leading by a FG with final minutes of 4thQ and a decent opponent QB. Maybe this is my perception but i don't have confidence in Steelers D to make a stop when needed to win the game. I have more confidence in Ben and Company than Steelers D during dying minutes of the game.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    In particular, it has been noted how Joe Flacco in particular owns LeBeau's defense in the 4th quarter. Well, Flacco has faced LeBeau twice in the playoffs. LeBeau's defense didn't exactly bend over for the almighty Unibrow in those two games where we eliminated our rivals en route to the Super Bowl. Let's review, shall we?

In the 2010 AFC Divisional Playoffs, we were down 21-7 at the half (and one of those TD's was the fumble return by Cory Redding that no one on offense even reacted to whatsoever), but LeBeau's D only allowed a single FG in the second half in a 31-24 victory. So much for awful 4th quarter play against Flacco when the season was on the line.

In the 2008 AFC Conference Championship, the last 3 Baltimore drives in the 4th quarter all ended in turnovers. First, Troy Polamalu intercepts a Flacco pass and returns it for a TD to increase our 16-14 lead to 23-14. Then, in the next drive, Flacco makes an ill-advised pass to a vulnerable Willis McGahee, who gets knocked out cold by Ryan Clark, resulting in a fumble that the Steelers recover. And finally, Tyrone Carter of all people picks off Flacco's final pass, leading to Ben in the victory formation, sending us to Tampa to face off against Arizona in SBXLIII. LeBeau's 4th quarter defense was truly awful in this game against Flacco as well, wouldn't you agree?

Just another case of LeBeau's 4th Q D bending over for Flacco...

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't get it...
    This is the perfect forum to promote one's agenda without threadjacking...
    and where's the fun in that?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I don't know whether 4thQ Defense sucks or not but 3rd and long defense definitely sucks in all the Q.

Also i don't think Steelers defense can stop anyone when Steelers are leading by a FG with final minutes of 4thQ and a decent opponent QB. Maybe this is my perception but i don't have confidence in Steelers D to make a stop when needed to win the game. I have more confidence in Ben and Company than Steelers D during dying minutes of the game.
    3rd and forever... I hate that down. I prefer 3rd and short.

Legend
    Terrific, Dick LeBeau's defense beat a rookie in the 4th in 2008. Since no true rookie has EVER won a Super Bowl, I guess LeBeau should be honored for it.

But since 2009? Flacco has three 4th quarter comebacks against LeBeau's defense, including one game where the much maligned BA rushing game had 38 carries for 153 yards and a TD.

And the defense STILL pissed away a 4th quarter lead in that game.

grotonsteel is right. If I had a choice between being UP 4 points and needing a stop, or being DOWN 4 points in needing a score to win a Super Bowl? I'm taking the offense.

History proves it.

All one has to do is WATCH.

Just remember boys and girls, if we lose to Denver in week one these will happen:

1. Peyton's offense will score on their first series.

2. Peyton's offense will score following a STEELERS touchdown.

3. If the games close in the 4th? The defense will give up the lead, even if the Steelers offense would score to take the lead beforehand.

Print this, and wait.

Then you'll see what happens on the field.
    Last edited by Crash; 06-27-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    grotonsteel is right. If I had a choice between being UP 4 points and needing a stop, or being DOWN 4 points in needing a score to win a Super Bowl? I'm taking the offense.

History proves it.

you mean kind of like against the Packers in the Super Bowl?