Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Mendenhall critical of Pittsburgh fans in Tennessee

  1. #21
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,398
    I would hope that Tomlin would quote some of the things the great 1st Emperor Chuck Noll used to tell his teams....I won't put the one quote I'm thinking of up here on the board, but if you listen to Tunch, every now and then he'll mention one that would be perfect right about now...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  2. #22
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Who knows what moronic fans said to Mendenhall for him to respond the way he did??? I can only imagine what was said based on the negative and illogical ways fans react on message boards after every loss. I can't believe some of the reactions myself. As an example see: "Steelers fans should stop going to road games for the rest of this year. Heck why not boycott home games too." This team gave this fan base a lot of great moments. It's like fans only remember and focus on the negative moments and forget the great moments. For fans to turn on players and ridicule them when things are not going so well makes for a questionable/bad fan base. This teams been in every game they loss. A play here or there and the outcome of games would be different.

    I think fans that live with such a high level of negative feelings and reactions after losses, bad seasons, ect. need to reevaluate what sports means in their lives.
    A voice of reason in a sea of hysteria....

    We may have to come to grips with the fact that this might be a down season for the Steelers. It happens.

    I agree, the losses aren't fun but I look at it as an opportunity to see some young talent get on the field to see what we have. Listened to Willie McGinest on Total Access about the loss. He commented that "fans don't get it. With so many injuries on a team and so many teams have nearly equal talent, it is "hard to win consistently or be competitive in the NFL without your best players on the field. The Steelers need to work on getting healthy, and that will go a long way to restoring their competitiveness". Bridge-jumping is not necessary, relax and enjoy the games or find another productive thing to do on Sundays.

  3. #23
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,398
    lol- true... and to think we almost won the game. What would people be saying if we did? Probalby that we're off to the SB...lol... I'd like to see where we are come the 1st of December..lol..

    Any of you old enough to remember the year we lost lost to Cincy like 54-0 and Cleve. 45-0 back to back weeks in Sept. and came damn close to going to the SB by the time January rolled around? That was the best coaching I've ever seen by a coaching staff....never forget it...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  4. #24
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    lol- true... and to think we almost won the game. What would people be saying if we did? Probalby that we're off to the SB...lol... I'd like to see where we are come the 1st of December..lol..

    Any of you old enough to remember the year we lost lost to Cincy like 54-0 and Cleve. 45-0 back to back weeks in Sept. and came damn close to going to the SB by the time January rolled around? That was the best coaching I've ever seen by a coaching staff....never forget it...
    I remember that season pfelix. Many were saying it was the end of an era for the Steelers but the turn-around was awe-inspiring. I will add that there is a reason why the players coming off the bench to replace injured starters are not the starters, it just might be that they are not as good as the starters!?!? And Tomlin can talk that "the standard is the standard" but we all know that is coachspeak to motivate the subs.

  5. #25
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    A voice of reason in a sea of hysteria....

    We may have to come to grips with the fact that this might be a down season for the Steelers. It happens.

    I agree, the losses aren't fun but I look at it as an opportunity to see some young talent get on the field to see what we have. Listened to Willie McGinest on Total Access about the loss. He commented that "fans don't get it. With so many injuries on a team and so many teams have nearly equal talent, it is "hard to win consistently or be competitive in the NFL without your best players on the field. The Steelers need to work on getting healthy, and that will go a long way to restoring their competitiveness". Bridge-jumping is not necessary, relax and enjoy the games or find another productive thing to do on Sundays.
    It might be a down year for the Steelers or it may not be. There are still 11 games left. Until they are eliminated from playoff contention the season isn't over. The Steelers can beat any of the remaining teams on their schedule. No team on the schedule is unbeatable. Even the teams with the best records in the league had close games. The one difference is those teams found ways to win close games where no one on the Steelers made the necessary plays to help the team win the games they loss. The Steelers need to find a way to win games on offense, defense, or special teams.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Who knows what moronic fans said to Mendenhall for him to respond the way he did??? I can only imagine what was said based on the negative and illogical ways fans react on message boards after every loss. I can't believe some of the reactions myself. As an example see: "Steelers fans should stop going to road games for the rest of this year. Heck why not boycott home games too." This team gave this fan base a lot of great moments. It's like fans only remember and focus on the negative moments and forget the great moments. For fans to turn on players and ridicule them when things are not going so well makes for a questionable/bad fan base. This teams been in every game they loss. A play here or there and the outcome of games would be different.

    I think fans that live with such a high level of negative feelings and reactions after losses, bad seasons, ect. need to reevaluate what sports means in their lives.
    Good post, Burgh. Good food for thought, I think.



    Narcissistic injury is the term used for any threat to a narcissist's outsized ego or self-esteem.



  7. #27
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,223
    This was a team one injury away from having to play a defensive lineman on the offensive line. This was a team down to their 3rd string RB. This was a team without their best player on defense. And yet with 1 min. they were in a position to win or tie the game. I know not everyone agrees, but I happen to think the coach err'd at the end by trying the field goal. Ben gives you a 50/50 chance at a first down, I think a 54 yd FG by Suisham is less than that. One first down and the Steelers likely win the game with a FG at the buzzer. Tomlin is not always the best in-game decisionmaker.

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This was a team one injury away from having to play a defensive lineman on the offensive line. This was a team down to their 3rd string RB. This was a team without their best player on defense. And yet with 1 min. they were in a position to win or tie the game. I know not everyone agrees, but I happen to think the coach err'd at the end by trying the field goal. Ben gives you a 50/50 chance at a first down, I think a 54 yd FG by Suisham is less than that. One first down and the Steelers likely win the game with a FG at the buzzer. Tomlin is not always the best in-game decisionmaker.
    I wanted to see the ball in Ben's hands on that 4th down, too. My second choice would have been the punt and get to OT with the ball in Ben's hands then.



    Narcissistic injury is the term used for any threat to a narcissist's outsized ego or self-esteem.



  9. #29
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,398
    I 110% agree..... In that order... Ben with the ball, punt, FG attempt... Also, I never would've ran that 2nd down play. Wasn't that a Barron Batch stuff job for no gain? Think it was... That was a poor play call if you ask me.....

    OK- onward to the Cincy game!

    Go Steelers!!
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  10. #30
    Backup Notleadpoisoned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NotPittsburgh
    Posts
    401
    The product on the field was obviously substandard and the folks paying for that product just voiced their displeasure. Not much different than getting some cold, stale pizza delivered to your house and you call the pizza shoppe back to chew out the manager and employees. The NFL is a business and the fans are its' customers. I don't have an issue with booing really.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •