Thread: When Did The Standard Stop Being the Standard

Legend

User Info Menu

When Did The Standard Stop Being the Standard

Who cares about the injuries. Isn't the Standard still the Standard around here?

Not only do we lack talent in our starters, but we also lack it in our backups. Tomlin used to be able to win with 3rd stringers. What happened?

Is the stuff he says becoming stale in the locker room?

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

I believe Tomlin is a good coach. I also believe he has an over inflated belief in his ability in evaluating, coaching up, and drafting talent. Too few of these guys he's drafted have stepped up. Although this season is not looking good, the lack of talent on this team is far more concerning for the future.

Legend

User Info Menu

they were cowhers 3rd stringers............and cowhers starters for that matter

Administrator

User Info Menu

Because it's October and it's time to "unleash hell"
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting Tomlin stat I heard on the radio today...the earliest a Tomlin-coached Steeler team has incurred its 3rd loss before this season? Game #9. Now we already have 3 losses 5 games in.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Interesting Tomlin stat I heard on the radio today...the earliest a Tomlin-coached Steeler team has incurred its 3rd loss before this season? Game #9. Now we already have 3 losses 5 games in.
    Maybe we can keep it to 3 losses. Let's hope.

I heard on ESPN radio, the Steelers still have a 60% shot at making the playoffs. Not sure who came up with it or how.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think Cowher was the real master at keeping back ups ready to bring it. He was a player's coach but he was very tough. Walked a fine line that Tomlin hasn't found......IMO probably never will. I wish him well.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not giving Tomlin or the coaches a pass, but a lot of this falls on the players. Have some damn heart. Some of these guys look like they are going through the motions out there. Stop being timid. And NO ONE could have predicted how down right terrible Ike Taylor would become. Uncovered or PI every play. If I'm an opposing Off Coordinator; I tell my QB to throw on him non-stop, all game. Every time you need a 1st, pick on Ike. Adams - rookie ot not, you are 6'7 / 350 - block someone. And at this point I wouldn't let Gilbert walk in my house for fear he'd trip and fall and crush my 21 month old and at least one of my dogs....
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-12-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm not giving Tomlin or the coaches a pass, but a lot of this falls on the players. Have some damn heart. Some of these guys look like they are going through the motions out there. Stop being timid. And NO ONE could have predicted how down right terrible Ike Taylor would become. Uncovered or PI every play. If I'm an opposing Off Coordinator; I tell my QB to throw on him non-stop, all game. Every time you need a 1st, pick on Ike. Adams - rookie ot not, you are 6'7 / 350 - block someone. And at this point I wouldn't let Gilbert walk in my house for fear hed' trip and fall and crush my 21 month old and at least on of my dogs....
    Told my wife in the first quarter....they should pull Ike now before it gets worse. Cause it will get worse. Sure enough it did.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

The standard stopped being the standard when the football players that you are putting on the field aren't in the same zip code talent wise to the ones that created the standard. Think about it:

James Farrior - Larry Foote
    Aaron Smith - Heyward
    younger Hampton - old Hampton or Ziggy
    Harrison - Carter
    Polamalu - Will Allen or Ryan Mundy
    Woodley - Worilds
    Mendenhall - Redman, Batch, Rainey
    Pouncey - Legursky
    Gilbert - Adams

There is no way that those players are ever going to uphold a standard; they'll lower the standard and then stand up to that lower standard. If Ben were an average quarterback the Steelers would be 0-5 or 1-4. They just aren't a very good football team right now and they're banged up with injuries.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount