Thank god they don't hand out Lombardi's after the first 5 games of the season.
Doesn't mean we can't turn this thing around. We just need to change things up a little. We've still got some game changing talent in Ben, Troy, and Deebo. 2 are healthy. If we can get the 3rd back, it would really help turn things around.
Other than getting guys healthy, I'd tweak a few things.
1. More Cotchery on 3rd down. We need a vet that can get open and make tough catches on 3rd down. I'm surprised how good we are in converting 3rd downs considering no WR has established himself as the go to guy to convert the downs. Maybe it's in our best interest to get Sanders experience. Although, I see Cotchery as more able to help now.
2. Simplify the passing game for Ben inside the Red Zone. I think there's a mental hurdle Ben's just never going to get over in the Red Zone. Shorter field doesn't bode well for his Sandlot style. And his decision making in shorter space is more risky. Make it easier for him Haley. And how about taking shots at the endzone once we reach the 30 to give Ben a little more assistance here.
3. It's time to bench Ike. He's had his issues that we're all aware of, but last night was so much more. It was a transition game that looked like the game just passed him by. Time to live or die by Cortez. And let's also let Cortez and Lewis put their hands on whomever their covering at the LOS. They're some big boys on the corner, let's use what God gave them.
4. Casey looks done. He can't move the pocket and he can't chase anyone down. Time for the more athletic McClendon to take over. In fact, It's time to roll with Heyward, Hood, and McClendon up front. Let's live of die with these guys and see what we've got.
5. Let's be predictable with James Harrison. He's coming after the QB. That's it. I don't think any explanation is needed here. He's coming, so block it.
6. Let's tweak the way we use Timmons. Let's make him the centerpiece of this defense. Stop designing plays that take him out of plays. It's great that he can run with WRs/RBs/TEs. But we need him attacking the ball, playing in the box, and hitting QBs. Don't take him out of plays. Unfortunately, he can do too much and we set him up to fail. Let's let him be the beast we saw in Philly.
Do we have the best talent? No
Do we do the best coaching given the guys we have? I still say no.
There's lots of room for improvement. We don't have the best 11 on the field against almost anyone these days. We lose the talent battle. But we've got Ben. If we can just get a little more out of the rest of the guys, we aren't that far from being able to win again.
Let's do this.
13-3 or bust!!!!