Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Problem is simple: our players aren't good enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Problem is simple: our players aren't good enough.

It's not coaching, motivation, brain freezes, refs conspiring against us, or anything else.

We are just short a few key pieces - a corner that can do the job, an O lineman or two ... etc., etc. Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned talent deficit.

We're just not that good with all our stars injured (and frankly, even with everyone healthy we've still got the Ike millstone around our neck).

The "go for it or not" 4th down situation at the end ... the fact that we were even in the position of having to "try not to lose" is the problem - the hard choice itself is just a symptom of a talent deficit.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone can coach a talented team. I may get bashed but for the first time, I'm starting to question whether Tomlin has "it".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Anyone can coach a talented team. I may get bashed but for the first time, I'm starting to question whether Tomlin has "it".
    Need eggs to make an omelette, no matter how good a chef you are (not a bash, SteelBucks . ).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

If in talent you mean a guy who can kick a 55 yard field goal then you'd be correct. Otherwise our team's talent is as good or bad as anyones.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    Yes he does.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they are not starting the better players. Steve M, Hayward any human over Ike and Mundy and throw slow azz Foote in the pile also. But yes they need more talent.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

they have the talent. Its time for a new philosophy. Last week against the eagles (a more talented team on offense in regards to big play ability) w/o Troy, and Harrisons 1st game back what do we do - we send the hounds, repeatedly. Last night against an offense waiting to be destroyed what do we do, EVERYTHING we could to make the guy comfortable.
    IF we are going to give up plays why do dont we give them up attempting to make a play.. We play a brand of Defense that looks good on paper (Stat Wise) but sucks in the game.
    They didnt even run no huddle last night, and CJ looked like CJ of old.. please send pressure. who cares if they give up the big play, we should be use to it, we have been giving up the big play on Defense since we played the Cards in the superbowl.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chiken View Post
    they have the talent. Its time for a new philosophy. Last week against the eagles (a more talented team on offense in regards to big play ability) w/o Troy, and Harrisons 1st game back what do we do - we send the hounds, repeatedly. Last night against an offense waiting to be destroyed what do we do, EVERYTHING we could to make the guy comfortable.
    IF we are going to give up plays why do dont we give them up attempting to make a play.. We play a brand of Defense that looks good on paper (Stat Wise) but sucks in the game.
    They didnt even run no huddle last night, and CJ looked like CJ of old.. please send pressure. who cares if they give up the big play, we should be use to it, we have been giving up the big play on Defense since we played the Cards in the superbowl.
    The schizophrenic defensive playcalling week to week drives me insane. Freakin attack and at least go down fighting, that is what Steelers defense is about.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, in my opinion are liabilities on defense. That's 4 starters. And when good players like Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu, and on occasion Clark, aren't in the lineup, you are now playing average players to go along with those sub-par players. That is a bad formula.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ike Taylor, Larry Foote, Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, in my opinion are liabilities on defense. That's 4 starters. And when good players like Harrison, Woodley, Polamalu, and on occasion Clark, aren't in the lineup, you are now playing average players to go along with those sub-par players. That is a bad formula.
    I know he's a liability in coverage, but I think Foote has actually had a pretty good season (surprising me). I agree with you, though, that Taylor and Keisel appear to be losing it. And why is Hampton even on the field? Every time McLendon comes in, he looks at least twice as good as Fat Casey.

Woodley may be a good player, but he hasn't played like one this season, even when he wasn't injured. Who knows if we can count on Polamalu and Harrison to ever be healthy again?

The question is, why haven't the Steelers drafted and groomed players who can step in and replace players like Taylor, Keisel, Polamalu and Harrison?

And maybe another question--why hasn't LeBeau adjusted his defense to better suit the players he has on the field?