Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Problem is simple: our players aren't good enough.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LARRY FOOTE at this point in the Season has been one of our most reliable players along with Ryan Clark.

Our weaknesses is depth at OLB, Ryan Mundy, Casey and worst of all IKE TAYLOR.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Any OC we face for the rest of the year that doesn't target IKE between 6 and 10 times a game would have ZERO basis for stating they still deserved a job.

IKE ZERO.

Weren/t we talking about Pro Bowl for him at the beginning of last season? I've never seen anyone go downhill so quickly ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Foote has been a pleasant surprise this year on defense.
    At least hes consistent
    Ikes days as a corner should be numbered.
    Maybe try him at safety?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree. Foote has been solid so far and Timmons is playing very well. Ike is playing horrible. Its like the Denver game in the playoffs last year is still in his head. Hold constantly, gets beat and then gets in the receivers grille afterwards. His schtick is getting old.Lewis is bad. Put Allen and Brown in already. And please figure out something to do at SS. Yeesh.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I do not agree with you guys. I am seeing Foote being pushed back 5 yards on run plays. He to me is a liability. He can't stop the run and he can't cover. Stop watching the ball and focus on him and you will see what I am seeing.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I do not agree with you guys. I am seeing Foote being pushed back 5 yards on run plays. He to me is a liability. He can't stop the run and he can't cover. Stop watching the ball and focus on him and you will see what I am seeing.
    That's always been the story for Foote. He's small and slow. But he's smart and has some of the best instincts to put himself in the right spot to make plays. I think you can make do with a guy like a Larry Foote. Some of the other players hurt us much more.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cook: A loss that will sting in December

October 12, 2012
    by Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers kicker Shaun Suisham hangs his head after missing a potential game winning field goal against the Titans last night in Nashville.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Steelers aren't a very good football team.

Can we agree on that this morning?

It's not just their 26-23 loss Thursday night to a really bad Tennessee Titans team. It's not their 2-3 record with all three losses against AFC opponents. It's not their silly penalties, their inability to run the ball or their failure to stop their opponent in the fourth quarter.

It's all of it.

Much of the season remains, 11 games. It is too early to pronounce the Steelers dead. But at this point, they have the look of a .500 club at best, certainly not a playoff-caliber team. They are physically beaten down. But their pride hurts worse, much worse.

"We let Steelers Nation down tonight," guard Willie Colon said. "We let ourselves down. We know we can play so much better than we did."

This loss was on everyone, including coach Mike Tomlin. He gambled that kicker Shaun Suisham could make a 54-yard field goal with 54 seconds left to break a 23-23 tie. Earlier in the fourth quarter, Suisham had made a 52-yarder to give the Steelers a 23-16 lead with 8:18 left. This time, Suisham was short. The Titans took over at their 45 with 49 seconds left and turned the possession into the winning field goal at the gun, a 40-yarder by Rob Bironas.

"I take the responsibility for the miss," Tomlin said.
    Good thing. He deserves blame.

But that decision wasn't what beat the Steelers. They made big mistakes in every part of the game. They got what they deserved. It just wouldn't have been right if they had won.

Sure, injuries were a factor. The Steelers defense didn't have safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker LaMarr Woodley coming in. During the game, the offense lost center Maurkice Pouncey, tackle Marcus Gilbert and running backs Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman. The offense's injuries surely factored into its inability to run the football. It gained just 56 yards on 22 carries with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, of all people, having the longest run, a 14-yard scramble in the fourth quarter.

But good teams find a way to overcome adversity to win. It is worth saying again: Right now, the Steelers don't even remotely resemble a good team.

There is a bit of positive news, though. The Steelers don't play again until a week from Sunday night against the Bengals in Cincinnati. It's a good thing they have the extra time between games. They have so much to improve.

For the third game in a row, the Steelers defense couldn't protect a fourth-quarter lead. It got stung in Oakland, got away with it against the Philadelphia Eagles at home Sunday when Roethlisberger led a late winning drive and paid a big price Thursday night. It allowed the Titans to go 80 yards in 11 plays for the touchdown that tied the score, 23-23. Then, it couldn't protect that short field at the end.

Awful. Just awful.

"I'm sure the offense is going to say it's not on us, that it's a team game and they should have made more plays," safety Ryan Clark said. "But that's not true. They gave us enough points to win. We just didn't do what we had to do."

This defeat felt even worse than the Oakland loss. The Titans came in with a 1-4 record with each of their losses by at least 21 points. It almost appeared the Steelers tried to keep them in the game with mistakes. They succeeded.

Penalties? The Steelers were the most penalized team-per-game in the NFL coming in and cut down on the number, but cornerback Ike Taylor was called for two big ones. His 25-yard pass interference penalty on the Titans' first possession led to a Tennessee field goal. He then was called for holding on a third-and-10 play at the Steelers 15 late in the game, a penalty that led to the Titans scoring the touchdown that tied the score, 23-23, with 4:19 left. Yet another pass interference call on Taylor didn't count because wide receiver Kenny Britt caught the ball anyway for a 37-yard gain.

To top it off, Taylor was beaten for the 5-yard touchdown pass to Britt that made it 23-23. Taylor played a rotten game.

Special-team blunders? A blocked punt counts, right? The Titans blocked a kick by Drew Butler on the final play of the first quarter, leading to a 1-yard touchdown drive that gave them a 13-10 lead.

Turnovers? The Steelers were moving at the Titans 32 late in the second quarter when Roethlisberger threw an interception to cornerback Jason McCourty. It was Roethlisberger's first interception in 137 passes -- he hadn't had one since late in the Denver game in the season opener -- and it lead to a Titans field goal and 16-10 lead on the final play of the first half.

At that point, you thought it couldn't get worse for the Steelers in the second half. But it did. It got much worse.

"It's tough," Redman said. "We're still winless on the road. Good teams have to win on the road to get where they want to go."

Should I write it one more time?

No, it's not necessary.

I think you know the Steelers aren't a good team.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-a-loss-that-will-sting-in-december-657275/#ixzz299kF895m[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That's always been the story for Foote. He's small and slow. But he's smart and has some of the best instincts to put himself in the right spot to make plays. I think you can make do with a guy like a Larry Foote. Some of the other players hurt us much more.
    Flippy, Foote is an average football player every other game and a sub-par football the rest of the time. I do not want that anymore at the heart of the Steelers defense. Please wake up and realize that this is the lifeline of what the Steelers are on defense.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I agree with DD...Foote has been good this season on blitzes & such but he is a liability in pass-coverage either paying too close to the line or dropping too far back. Forget Ike, a team could have a field day by focusing on Foote against a RB.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...