Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Titans DC suggests his players should injure opponents

Legend

User Info Menu

Titans DC suggests his players should injure opponents

Titans DC uses some disturbing words to motivate his players

Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2012

Jerry Gray used to work for Gregg Williams.

And apparently he learned a thing or two about a turn of phrase from his old boss.

The Titans defensive coordinator used some frankly disturbing language in reference to his team’s inability to stop passes across the middle of the field.

Gray told Jim Wyatt of the Tennesseean he wanted his guys to play without regards to possible fines.

“If you are worrying about that, you are not going to go out and try and blow the guy up,” Gray said. “Great football players have to put that out of their mind. You have to say, ‘This is my territory between the numbers, and if you throw the football you better bring the Gator truck.’

“And that’s how you have to play. You can’t play timid in the NFL.”

The Gator is the green tractor/cart teams use to haul off injured players.

If that’s not quite “Kill the head and the body will die,” it’s at least running down the same road, and the kind of thing coaches should be smarter than to say out loud in the wake of the Saints bounty investigation, for which Williams was suspended.

There’s a way to read it that comes up well short of “Jerry Gray is telling his guys to hurt opponents,” but he opened the door when referencing what amounts to a “cart-off.”

The Titans currently rank last in the league in points allowed, next to last in yards. They’ve also been outscored 41-13 in the first quarters.

“Have we blown anybody up? … Maybe we are playing too timid,” Gray said. “We can’t give up touchdowns as soon as we get off the bus. We didn’t do that last year. You can’t give up touchdowns in the first quarter and expect to get sacks and expect to get turnovers. . . .

“I don’t coach a defense like this, and I don’t think they intend to play a defense like that. But when it happens, what do you do to fix it? And that is our job. We have 12 weeks to fix it.”

Gray should also expect to spend part of that time on the phone with someone in New York, who will explain to him that you can’t even approach the suggestion of soliciting injuries at a time when the league’s preaching player safety.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/05/titans-dc-uses-some-disturbing-words-to-motivate-his-players/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Stay classy, Nashville!

Legend

User Info Menu

The NFL is run by the girl scouts.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    The NFL is run by the girl scouts.

The NFL is run by smart lawyers who know that the players profiting from the NFL today will be the same ones suing them tomorrow. Anyone who can even be remotely considered in a leadership or management positions will be eligible to be brought in to testify about what they said and what they meant.

You want the NFL to change their approach then have the players sign liability waivers. This is not an NFL management initiated problem this is a former player initiated problem.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Smart lawyers can kiss my thin mints.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Smart lawyers can kiss my thin mints.
    You should add washed up players looking for a big payday after they blew the money the earned to your list of those who need to "pucker up." They are the real source of the problem. The "new rules" put in place by the league are a symptom of that problem.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Tort reform in this nation is LONG overdue.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Too bad Hines isn't still around. This sound like some fuel that might motivate him to put a Ten defender on the Gator.

Unfortunately, Ben's the only tough guy left on O and given his position, there's not much he can do in the pocket. Other than put 45 up on them

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Players know damn well the risks they are taking putting the pads on and going out on that field, that is why they are paid so handsomely. To then come back after their careers are over and say they want paid cause their body's suck...is ludacris. Make them sign waivers to step out on the field.

Avg. NFL players salary = millions
    Avg. Arena league players salary = thousands

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Players know damn well the risks they are taking putting the pads on and going out on that field, that is why they are paid so handsomely. To then come back after their careers are over and say they want paid cause their body's suck...is ludacris. Make them sign waivers to step out on the field.

Avg. NFL players salary = millions
    Avg. Arena league players salary = thousands
    In 2000, the average salary was ~$900k, the median was ~$400k.

In 1990, the average was ~$300k, couldn't find the media but I'd assume ~$100k.

The average NFL career is 3.5 years.

So the typical guy made $350k 20 years ago in the NFL.

10 years ago - $1.4M.

Take out taxes, agent fees, living amongst celebs and their lifestyles, etc. and it's easy to see why there wouldn't be anything left.

And to think these guys know what they're doing, remember this is their first job. They're young 20 year olds. They probably know very little. And unfortunately they probably come from a background that hasn't prepared them for being successful. There's loads of rags to riches stories. Some do ok, others not so much.

And if these beatings are really causing brain injuries and these guys are self medicating with drugs and alcohol, it's not likely they're in a position to make decisions. Mental illness could be running rampant in the NFL all things considered.

It seems like we project ourselves onto this guys and what we'd do in their situation without understanding their situation. The NFL uses these guys. They take advantage of young men that don't have an alternative. It works out very well for a small few. But for the majority, it's a horrible system.

And the cycle will only change if we fans change. As long as we demand the product it will be produced. The NFL really isn't all that different than prostitution or other seedy industries.