Thread: Lewis vs. Titans WR Kendall Wright

Legend

User Info Menu

Lewis vs. Titans WR Kendall Wright

October 11, 2012 12:29 am

[url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/head-to-head-steelers-cb-keenan-lewis-vs-titans-wr-kendall-wright-657079/[/url]

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    As he always does, cornerback Ike Taylor likely will follow his former teammate, Nate Washington, when the Steelers play the Tennessee Titans tonight in Nashville, Tenn. Following the opposing team's top receiver has become customary for Taylor.

But that also means Keenan Lewis, the other corner, gets matched regularly against the opponent's No. 2 receiver -- in this case, rookie Kendall Wright, who leads the Titans with 27 receptions; or former No. 1 pick Kenny Britt, who still is trying to round into form after an anterior cruciate ligament injury ended his season in the third week a year ago.

With so much attention always focused on Taylor's ability to shut down the top opposing receiving threat, it goes largely unnoticed that Lewis has done more than a solid job of containing -- sometimes even shutting down -- the No. 2 receiver.

"We joke about it sometimes and get on the guy if he got beat, but you take it seriously because you don't want to be that guy," Lewis said. "I don't want to be that guy ever again so I try to make sure I eliminate those types of plays and win my battles."

Against the New York Jets, Lewis held rookie Stephen Hill, who had two touchdown catches in his previous game, without a catch. In Denver, Lewis led the team with two pass break-ups and didn't allow Eric Decker a catch longer than 17 yards.

In a victory Sunday against Philadelphia, the Eagles' longest play was a 24-yard pass to DeSean Jackson, who was being shadowed all game by Taylor. The Eagles' No. 2 receiver, Jeremy Maclin, had a team-high five catches against Lewis but none longer than 11 yards.

"He's really in his growth cycle, and we're looking for him to continue to grow," said Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a Hall of Fame cornerback in his playing days, said of Lewis. "I thought he played well last year for us and so far he's doing OK. We're looking for all our young players to grow."

In the past 11 quarters, the Steelers have allowed just one pass longer than 18 yards -- and that was the 24-yarder to Jackson on the Eagles' final possession. That has allowed them to move up to No. 3 in the league in pass defense and inch closer to the No. 1 ranking they held last year.

Lewis said he is up to the challenge, just as he was in training camp when his biggest battle was having to hold off young cornerbacks Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown for the starting job.

"To be honest with you, I know this is contract year for me and I want to be the best I can be and make a living for my family," said Lewis, who is playing this season on a one-year tender for $1,260,000 . "I know those guys like to compete, too, so I know I was going to have to step my game up a notch. Being a fourth year player, they expect a lot from me. I'm getting better every game at it.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was starting to wonder if I needed to go see an ophthalmologist because of the lack of love coming Lewis' way. He has been solid all season, but if you read the posts here you would think he was the worst DB here since Charred Scott-post knee problems.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Lewis just does what he is asked to do:

Don't give up the big play/make the tackle after the catch...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not a glamorous defensive system, this whole thing of securing the tackle and not taking chances at making a play on the ball, but the numbers speak for themselves. In the new NFL heavily favored towards passing, the Steelers have been one of the best, if not THE best, in limiting opponents passing yards over the past couple seasons.

The Steelers pass defense has always been heavily criticized by fans since Woodson and Lake left. That's likely not going to change.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Lewis just does what he is asked to do:

Don't give up the big play/make the tackle after the catch...
    Exactly. We fault players for doing what is asked of them. I doubt Ike or Lewis want to play 10 yards off a WR, and play the WR after the catch. But, that is what they asked to do...and both do it well.
    Trolls are people too.