Thread: At what point is an O-linman too fat?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

At what point is an O-linman too fat?

Yea, yea, you want your OL-men to be big. And they won't have super thin waists, no matter what. But at what point is fat too fat? I ask this because Colon can barely walk; can that really be a benefit when playing O line? Really? Like there is no limit to how much fat is too fat? I say the dude is too fat and it's hurting his play. You can't convince me that he wouldn't be better if he dropped 30 pounds, at LEAST. If you can barely walk, how mobile are you going to be? Don't you need to "move" at some point in order to block? Run Block?

And regardless of whether I am right about him being too fat, he stinks, regardless. That guy needs replaced, big time!

Legend

User Info Menu

I would say OT Andre Smith of the Bengals is too fat, when your man boobs are bigger than a lot of women's would be a good clue:

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

HS, that is just nasty. No wonder why dropped in the draft so far. Is that from when he was a rookie? He isn't that fat anymore is he? Looking at that, I feel as thin as a waif super model.

[url]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NoCgC-41Qvg/Swq58L1Wx-I/AAAAAAAAE9c/kTr2aXbwul0/s400/kate_moss_gypsy_xin_370.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    HS, that is just nasty. No wonder why dropped in the draft so far. Is that from when he was a rookie? He isn't that fat anymore is he? Looking at that, I feel as thin as a waif super model.

[URL]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NoCgC-41Qvg/Swq58L1Wx-I/AAAAAAAAE9c/kTr2aXbwul0/s400/kate_moss_gypsy_xin_370.jpg[/URL]
    yes, this pic is of Andre Smith working out at the Combine. how could any team draft him after seeing how out of shape he was?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You guys know he was still taken 6th overall, right?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd have to think that Colon could give birth to the triplets that he appears to be carrying and still be an effective run blocker, while also gaining some quickness and agility to help with pass blocking.

Lineman can be effective with a few extra pounds - look at Casey Hampton for most of his career. Justin Strezlyck (sp?) was a guy that was effective despite looking out of shape. But for Colon, I'd have to think that dropping weight would help. Same for Hampton at this stage of his career.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'd have to think that Colon could give birth to the triplets that he appears to be carrying and still be an effective run blocker, while also gaining some quickness and agility to help with pass blocking.

Lineman can be effective with a few extra pounds - look at Casey Hampton for most of his career. Justin Strezlyck (sp?) was a guy that was effective despite looking out of shape. But for Colon, I'd have to think that dropping weight would help. Same for Hampton at this stage of his career.
    Given where Hampton plays and what he is asked to do, I would have to think that less weight would make him even less effective than he is now. If he was a rookie playing like he is now he wouldn't had made this team, but he got the veteran preference. His play to date in the regular season has indicated he is definitely past his "sell by" date.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good question for that sports science show.

I saw one where they showed a fat guy being non effective as a goaltender. I think fat can work as long as you don't lose strength or speed. If you can maintain both of those, get as big as you want.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Sounds like a good question for that sports science show.

I saw one where they showed a fat guy being non effective as a goaltender. I think fat can work as long as you don't lose strength or speed. If you can maintain both of those, get as big as you want.
    that strategy worked for Hawaiian born Akebono who became a yokozuna or grand champion in the sport of sumo.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha